McDonnell Model 1

Mark Nankivil

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings All -

A few scans from the Gerald Balzer Collection.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xMcDonnell Model 1 3 view Nov-10-39.jpg
    xMcDonnell Model 1 3 view Nov-10-39.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 1,373
  • xMcDonnell Model 1 Perspective Inboard Apr-6-40.jpg
    xMcDonnell Model 1 Perspective Inboard Apr-6-40.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 1,328
  • xMcDonnell Model 1 sketch & data.jpg
    xMcDonnell Model 1 sketch & data.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 1,210
  • xMcDonnell Model 1 tractor configuration model.jpg
    xMcDonnell Model 1 tractor configuration model.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 1,098
Amazing.

Plate reads: "Designed and built for G. L. Martin Co. by Lyle Farver - 1938"

Can we infer from this plate that the design was rejected by Martin and found favor with McDonnell?

Please read this wikipedia entry about James McDonnell early career

J. McDonnell worked at the Martin Co.

See also Gerald Balzer's:

pg 18 and 19 for more info about McDonnell Model 1 which was entered at R40-C solicitation

I'm curious as to why the pusher layout. Looking at the design I can't see any reason why a tractor configuration couldn't have been chosen. Any information about this?

eltf177 said:
I'm curious as to why the pusher layout. Looking at the design I can't see any reason why a tractor configuration couldn't have been chosen. Any information about this?

Pusher props theoretically have slightly greater net thrust, since the props aren't blowing past the wing, where drag is created.

I quite like the extensive fuselage-wing blending. Seems that the concept isn't as new as I thought it was.

We need more modern aircraft featuring such blending.

In "US Fighters" by Lloyd S. Jones, Aero Publishers1975, page 179 I read: "Late in 1939. Starting with a proposal to the Air Corps for an Allison V-3420 or Pratt & Whitney H-3130-powered long-range fighter, Mc Donnell inquired about a contract to construct the plane. The Air Corps wasn't too excited about the plan to bury the engine behind the pilot and drive a pair of pusher propellers through right angle extension shafts, but did permit the company to submit the design for proposal R-40C. The unconventional design, competing with what became the XP-54, -55, -56, did not fair well but did warrant an order for more engineering details. A revised proposal for a more conventional fighter was submitted to the Air Corps in June 1940, but again rejected. McDonnell returned on May 22, 1941, with a re-engineered design and received a contract for construction of two XP-67's."
EDIT: it was uncommon to see such a twin-propeller plane having a single engine, so I "repaired" that, inventing a what-if derivative with 2 engines (and 3 propellers, and 2 fuselages), ahem... ;) (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20326.840.html)

Greetings All -

A WWII era (Flying magazine, January 1943) McDonnell Aircraft ad featuring the Model 1.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xMcDonnel Aircraft Co Ad - Flying Jan-43.jpg
    xMcDonnel Aircraft Co Ad - Flying Jan-43.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 240
Great, Mark. Another one of the same era, with the Model 1 not quite so visible, but worth adding nonetheless.

Also a couple of pics previously unseen in this topic: a wind-tunnel model and the original patent art, cleaned up and restored by yours truly.

Attachments

• patent2.gif
    patent2.gif
    78.9 KB · Views: 179
  • patent1.gif
    patent1.gif
    90.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Feb09_Trivia_3.jpg
    Feb09_Trivia_3.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 216
  • War planes, too, need smooth complexions.jpg
    War planes, too, need smooth complexions.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 191
And the same patent plans reworked in poster fashion:

Attachments

• plan.jpg
    plan.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 656
Mark: Is there anything definitive on the name Bat or Moonbat for the Model 2A XP-67? Thanks, Steve

An article on Model 1.

Not splitting hairs or anything, but I was always under the impression that the first McDonnell design was the Doodlebug of 1927, so why did that not get the Model 1 designation?
McDonnell Model 1 Doodlebug pic 1.jpg McDonnell Model 1 Doodlebug.JPG

Not splitting hairs or anything, but I was always under the impression that the first McDonnell design was the Doodlebug of 1927, so why did that not get the Model 1 designation?
View attachment 642609View attachment 642610
Simple. The first company founded by James McDonnell, called J.S. McDonnell Jr. & Associates, manufactured the Doodlebug. When the Great Depression happened, McDonnell dissolved his firm and worked for Great Lakes and then Martin, before founding the McDonnell Aircraft Corporation in 1939. Thus, the Doodlebug was not designed by the McDonnell Aircraft Corporation that was created in 1939.

Attachments

• Model1Article1.png
    Model1Article1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 107
  • Model1Article2.png
    Model1Article2.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 121
  • Model1Artwork.jpg
    Model1Artwork.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 129
  • Model1Cutaway.png
    Model1Cutaway.png
    258.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Model1Cutaway2.jpg
    Model1Cutaway2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 138
Nice! Thanks Paul.

Not sure of the answer but perhaps because the Doodlebug was a joint design exercise? Although the new firm was named J.S. McDonnell & Associates, the Doodlebug was designed by McDonnell, James Cowling, Jr., and Constantine L. Zakhartchenko.

All three were aeronautical engineers who had left the Hamilton Metalplane Company to design and build a competitor for the Guggenheim Safe Aircraft Award contest. And all three would be re-united when the McDonnell Aircraft Corporation was formed in 1938.

Curiously, such configuration (two pusher props on the wings) have been studied as one of the possible XP-38 layouts.
#83 But obviously, XP-38 hasn't planned as such sophisticated combination of blended fuselage/wings, complex inlet/exhaust system. So McDonnell designed too advanced aircraft, which later realized in much more conventional jets, like FH-1