Marquise missile - Israeli missile for SAM suppression mission

I supposed it decoyed a lot of SA-6 Gainful? As IIRC that particular SAM caused heavy losses amongst Israeli fighter and attack jets.

I supposed it decoyed a lot of SA-6 Gainful? As IIRC that particular SAM caused heavy losses amongst Israeli fighter and attack jets.
actually the 23 and 57mm ada at low altitudes got more kills than the missiles. the arabs turned on their radars, fired off salvos at anything they saw and hit as many of their own planes as they did israelis. and the israelis used standards on quickly improvised old sherman hulls , driven up close to the front lines and when the arabs radars were lit up they would wipe them out with those.

actually the 23 and 57mm ada at low altitudes got more kills than the missiles.
Indeed. The missiles did not kill many planes. They did force them to abort mission by dumping stores and evading, and they did damage a lot of planes, especially the A-4s doing low level CAS to save the bacon of troops overwhelmed on the Golan. But most of the planes hit by missiles actually were able to RTB.

The ZSU-23-4 shilkas, on the other hand, were devastating them. Hence their high priority on the grunts' target list. (they did beautiful fireworks when hit, too. Especially at night)

actually the 23 and 57mm ada at low altitudes got more kills than the missiles. the arabs turned on their radars, fired off salvos at anything they saw and hit as many of their own planes as they did israelis. and the israelis used standards on quickly improvised old sherman hulls , driven up close to the front lines and when the arabs radars were lit up they would wipe them out with those.
Standards? As in the SM series?

I suspect he's referring to modified RIM-66 Standard 1 missiles.

Yes. The US used them as an ar launched heavyweight ARM in conjunction with Shrike at the time. The Israeli's adapted them for ground launch. Launcher pictured below, apparently called Keres, although I'm sure I've seen a picture of it with the missile exposed on a rail...

2Z4xJBd.jpg

I think the converted Sherman were only used for ground launched Shrike missiles. Never seen them with Standard. Think the conversion was called Kilshon.

J00hJmg.jpg

Last edited:

I think the converted Sherman were only used for ground launched Shrike missiles. Never seen them with Standard. Think the conversion was called Kilshon.

J00hJmg.jpg

Do you have a link to larger photographs of the ground-launched Shrike and what rocket-motor is used as a launch booster for it?

Do you have a link to larger photographs of the ground-launched Shrike and what rocket-motor is used as a launch booster for it?
I'm afraid I don't. There are a few on google images including some more from the side, I think the launchers are/were at the Israeli Armour Museum at Yad la Shiryon (it looks a lot tidier than it used to so might be in a reserve collection or another location). Might be worth searching for posts or photos from people who have visited it.

J00hJmg.jpg

Lengthy history of the Israeli development of ground-launched ARMs here. A lot more detail about the operations of Kilshon, etc. I don't see any specific details amount the booster except that it was apparently developed specifically for this application.

I just finished reading the article (Which is rather interesting) so I wonder if the booster-stage for the ground-launched Shrike was the Aerojet MK 27 or Mk 56 used in the RIM-66?

J00hJmg.jpg

Hi, here a picture I took at the Israeli Air Force Museum in 2009, with a short description of the Chaclilit ARM system. No info about the booster. Googling Chachlilit you can find some other pictures. I add also a picture of the info about Keres.

Attachments

• ARM Chachlilit info.JPG
    ARM Chachlilit info.JPG
    636.2 KB · Views: 35
  • ARM Keres info.JPG
    ARM Keres info.JPG
    647.1 KB · Views: 40
  • ARM Chachlilit.JPG
    ARM Chachlilit.JPG
    671.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited: