Mark Wade in the spotlight !

Archibald

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
As said in the tin. https://www.thespacereview.com/article/3853/1

My mind is blown.

The author of Astronautix is as unknown as his website is famous.

In 15 years of space forums and twenty years since I first ever heard of his website, Wade remained, to spoof Churchill "a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma"

And now he is writting for The Space Review. I wonder how Jeff Foust got him out of his "splendid isolation".

I would be very cool (except for Jim :p) if he could become a member of the varied space forums here and there. Maybe this would help correcting some issues with Astronautix.
Or maybe not.

Like all the best and oldest libraries Mark Wade's site is at once, essential, baffling, downright annoying and we all think we could do it better, but...
Never said I could do it better, just that it used to be orders of magnitude more pleasurable to use.

Well I remember when he changed it, one of the most striking changes was that he tilted his rocket pictures from vertical to 45 degree sidewards. And you know why he did that ? probably because people downloaded his pictures without asking and used them everywhere. Also the general layout of that colossal website was never easy to use. He tried to change it and managed to make it worse.

I have to thank Mark Wade, his website was a real treasure especially for 90's hungry space geek as I was.
He also introduced me to the idea to use vectorial drawing software to realize space artworks, that is my current second profession.
Despite the fact he is somewhat elusive I Got in touch with him, via email, during late 90's and early 2K, I've contributed to his Winged Gemini entry in Astronautix.
He gave me the impression to be a retired aerospace Professional, very kind and gentle.

Back
Top Bottom