US Army - Lockheed Martin Long Range Precision Fires (LRPF)

The idea bmdo would pay for anti-tank tech :rolleyes:. Do folks even read what they post?

Last edited:
The question of fuzing of the modern rounds came up. Thankfully, vFuze 2020 had an answer.
That imagery transfer to the projectile (nav and terminal?) is motivating data rates higher than
inductive fuzing can achieve is interesting.

Attachments

• Keyler-01.png
    Keyler-01.png
    125.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Keyler-02.png
    Keyler-02.png
    326.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Keyler-03.png
    Keyler-03.png
    365.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Keyler-04.png
    Keyler-04.png
    457.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Keyler-05.png
    Keyler-05.png
    137.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Keyler-06.png
    Keyler-06.png
    123.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Keyler-07.png
    Keyler-07.png
    251.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Keyler-08.png
    Keyler-08.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Keyler-09.png
    Keyler-09.png
    368 KB · Views: 51
  • Keyler-10.png
    Keyler-10.png
    712 KB · Views: 52
  • Keyler-11.png
    Keyler-11.png
    237 KB · Views: 49
  • Keyler-12.png
    Keyler-12.png
    269.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Keyler-13.png
    Keyler-13.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Keyler-14.png
    Keyler-14.png
    524.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Keyler-16.png
    Keyler-16.png
    166.8 KB · Views: 51
Most bmdo interception data is not longer on the internet. One can believe incorrectness they want. ..not arguing any more.

The idea bmdo would pay for anti-tank tech :rolleyes:. Do folks even read what they post?

BMDO, being an Army organization, did actually pay to look at applying the D2 hypervelocity projectile tech
to the anti-armor/anti-tank role. ARDEC did a fair amount of work in this area though I suspect a bunch of that was
an attempt to keep the program alive after need the intercept ICBM and SLBM RVs waned.

I find it odd that no one has even come out and stated how the SLRC will work. I think everyone presumes that it is a launcher for solid rocket fueled ramjet missiles, basically skipping the booster stage, but I don't think even that has ever been publicly released. I saw a quote from one of the people running the project stating that the goal was a $500,000 per projectile cost. That makes sense - at that price point, you've undercut most classes of cruise missile in terms of range, speed, and expense. But it seems like a daunting goal and I can't imagine they could squeeze much terminal effect into the projectile even if they reach it.

I find it odd that no one has even come out and stated how the SLRC will work. I think everyone presumes that it is a launcher for solid rocket fueled ramjet missiles, basically skipping the booster stage, but I don't think even that has ever been publicly released. I saw a quote from one of the people running the project stating that the goal was a $500,000 per projectile cost. That makes sense - at that price point, you've undercut most classes of cruise missile in terms of range, speed, and expense. But it seems like a daunting goal and I can't imagine they could squeeze much terminal effect into the projectile even if they reach it.
Just for shiz and giggles, anybody know what your muzzle velocity would have to be for a 1000 mile shot with a non-powered projectile? (For this round I'm wondering if it's not a ramjet but a scramjet. Basically accelerate after leaving the barrel, gaining speed and altitude, until there's no more air to breathe.)

Just for shiz and giggles, anybody know what your muzzle velocity would have to be for a 1000 mile shot with a non-powered projectile? (For this round I'm wondering if it's not a ramjet but a scramjet. Basically accelerate after leaving the barrel, gaining speed and altitude, until there's no more air to breathe.)

About 2,5 km/s. Same as for short-range ballistic missile of the similar range.

No idea what the math is, but I think if you accelerated purely with propellant you'd probably have to use a solid shot. :)

Can't rule out scramjet, but I just assumed the technology would be more daunting where as there are operational solid fuel ramjets (Meteor) and Nammo is working on artillery shells. I'm pretty sure the US recently entered some kind of agreement or contract with Nammo to develop the technology, though I can't find an article referencing it now. They were already working on NATO 155mm; it sounds like SLRC might just be a scaled up version.

You have to wonder if the Army gets it working if the USMC wouldn't buy in. Would be nice to provide artillery support a thousand miles away from the deck of a ESD/ESB. You could target the PRC from outside the first chain from a moving fire battery.

Also as an aside, if Nammo ever gets the concept working in a cost effective way, maybe the USN can finally build a projectile for the Zummies.

Also as an aside, if Nammo ever gets the concept working in a cost effective way, maybe the USN can finally build a projectile for the Zummies.

Scale them up a tad (caliber, not range) and maybe you have a new Montana. :p

HVP seems to be a perfectly usable round for the Zumwalts -- the 155mm sabot is roughly the same as needed for the Army, though I suppose it may be slightly different thanks to AGS having a non-standard chamber volume.

Last edited:
Scale them up a tad (caliber, not range) and maybe you have a new Montana. :p

Nuclear powered, I trust?
Of course. ;) This is the kind of thing that could replace some functions of a CVN. Still doesn't control air or below the sea but at least it gets in the same order of magnitude of amount or ordinance on target at range.

No idea what the math is, but I think if you accelerated purely with propellant you'd probably have to use a solid shot. :)

Can't rule out scramjet, but I just assumed the technology would be more daunting where as there are operational solid fuel ramjets (Meteor)

It's a VFDR. You want an SFRJ for artillery since SFRJs self throttle by altitude which is very predictable for an artillery shell.

It's not clear you'd need an air breather; you could directly inject a BGV into equilibrium glide with gun launch.

Last edited:
HVP seems to be a perfectly usable round for the Zumwalts -- the 155mm sabot is roughly the same as needed for the Army, though I suppose it may be slightly different thanks to AGS having a non-standard chamber volume.
If HVP can intercept incoming missiles it would undoubtedly be a great thing to have but I cannot envison it having much if any utility in the naval gunfire support role the 155mm AGS was supposed to fill. Simply not enough explosive charge.

If HVP can intercept incoming missiles it would undoubtedly be a great thing to have but I cannot envison it having much if any utility in the naval gunfire support role the 155mm AGS was supposed to fill. Simply not enough explosive charge.

The LRLAP warhead wasn't exactly class leading by guided 155mm standards either.

And there's nothing preventing them from using the higher shell velocity to enhance fragmentation.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGdH0lwFOiM

Last edited:
Weight and mobility challenges have forced the US Army to abandon a government-designed autoloader for its Extended Range Cannon Artillery (ERCA) programme and the service is now looking for help from six tech companies.

“The integration challenge for [it] was too much of a trade with mobility and durability, and some of the results from putting 3,000 miles on a combat vehicle [out at Yuma Proving Ground] weighted up with the centre of gravity issue that we had,”

:eek:

Why not just grab the company that did Crusader's?

The inductive fuze setter they had would be the bottleneck for the rate of fire they want.
Not sure if I posted it in this thread, but the Army future fuze setters look to be direct connect
(USB 2.0) to handle the large data sets that have to be moved to the shell.

They may have to consider an autoloader with a fixed loading angle to save weight/complexity/cg. Traditionally it's an RoF hit to angle the gun up/down each shot, but AGS got to 10 rounds per minute with a fixed loading angle, and that's with having to swing the gun all the way up to vertical to load.

They may have to consider an autoloader with a fixed loading angle to save weight/complexity/cg. Traditionally it's an RoF hit to angle the gun up/down each shot, but AGS got to 10 rounds per minute with a fixed loading angle, and that's with having to swing the gun all the way up to vertical to load.
So no MRSI at the 10 rpm?

Edit: I guess with certain guided rounds it's still possible.

If you can angle the gun fast enough, MRSI is still possible with a fixed loading angle.

If you can angle the gun fast enough, MRSI is still possible with a fixed loading angle.
Looking back at the specs: it was at the 8 rounds (obj) and 4 rounds (threshold).