Late 1960s Trainer Competition

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
One of the things I have noticed in the Postwar Aircraft threads is the plethera of jet trainer projects in the late 60s.
I suppose as they were relatively low cost it was an opportunity for national industries to compete for much needed contracts.
It seemed to be the one area where US companies did not have their usual muscle in this period.
If you were buying a trainer for the 70s which one would you choose?

I suppose trainers are not all that exciting. There are no titles called Secret Projects: Trainers. My own chaotic library includes only one Charity shop book about RAF trainers.
But the strange saga of the Bundesluftwaffe and its hordes of Alpha Jets did grab my attention (I still have a crude Matchbox Toy Alpha somewhere with an even cruder camo repaint in W German colours).
I also have the John Young poster of the RAF Jubilee year 1968 which my Dad mounted. A Jaguar T2 in the metal and dayglo orange is still doing a vertical climb...

I suppose trainers are not all that exciting. There are no titles called Secret Projects: Trainers. My own chaotic library includes only one Charity shop book about RAF trainers.

Be patient... ;)

One of the things I have noticed in the Postwar Aircraft threads is the plethera of jet trainer projects in the late 60s.
I suppose as they were relatively low cost it was an opportunity for national industries to compete for much needed contracts.
It seemed to be the one area where US companies did not have their usual muscle in this period.
If you were buying a trainer for the 70s which one would you choose?
Well the Hawk came in on time and on budget....only example I know of in the industry......