Laser Guided Bomb From B-1 Target .............A Speedboat?

During the first gulf war an F-15E took out a hovering Hip with one...

Anyway - hitting a fast target like that with an LGB with quite an accomplishment. Congrats to the engineering and crew!

bobbymike,

Overkill? Perhaps. Perhaps not. A B-1 can get itself within range of a pirate boat within just a couple of hours - at most - once given the "go" order. A conventional navy surface ship might be able to get to the same area in day - maybe. Sure, a few rounds from a .50 would be able to sink most pirate boats. That would be cheaper on an individual round basis than an LGB.

But, you gotta get that ship there first to fire those oh-so-cheap bullets. And that's the rub. This also has the advantage of remaining unseen by the bad guys. An approaching navy ship is highly visible long before it comes within effective range even of its naval guns. The pirates know this and can opt to either conclude their attack, if close enough, or flee.

The BONEs can fly so high the bad guys simply can not see them. And thus the pirates would have no way of knowing whether their actions are about to render them chum for the fishes or not. That's a rather powerful deterrent that should have any pirate start cringing when they look up at the skies above them.

Madoc said:
bobbymike,

Overkill? Perhaps. Perhaps not. A B-1 can get itself within range of a pirate boat within just a couple of hours - at most - once given the "go" order. A conventional navy surface ship might be able to get to the same area in day - maybe. Sure, a few rounds from a .50 would be able to sink most pirate boats. That would be cheaper on an individual round basis than an LGB.

But, you gotta get that ship there first to fire those oh-so-cheap bullets. And that's the rub. This also has the advantage of remaining unseen by the bad guys. An approaching navy ship is highly visible long before it comes within effective range even of its naval guns. The pirates know this and can opt to either conclude their attack, if close enough, or flee.

The BONEs can fly so high the bad guys simply can not see them. And thus the pirates would have no way of knowing whether their actions are about to render them chum for the fishes or not. That's a rather powerful deterrent that should have any pirate start cringing when they look up at the skies above them.

Hence the smiley face. I don't know if you are newer here based on the number of your posts but as you read more of my comments you'll see I have no probelm with overkill when it comes to pirates, islamofacists or any other enemy of civilization. I would use W88's on an al Qaeda terrorist's tent in Yemen to prove a point.

I guess it upsets the fun narrative of “overkill” to point out that target drones tend to be smaller than the real thing because it saves a lot of money while still getting the job done. Be it an aerial target or sea target it is as small as possible and any shortfall in radar or visual signature is compensated by using radar reflectors or flares. It might cut down on the number of people leaping to conclusions about overkill but it would cost an awful lot if the military started building sea targets that were as big as most target ships.

Avimimus said:

Anyway - hitting a fast target like that with an LGB with quite an accomplishment. Congrats to the engineering and crew!

Slight correction, it was a Hind not a Hip. The main reason the F-15 used an LGB was because the Hind's AAMs outranged the F-15s by a couple of miles. No such issue with the LGB :)

An AWACS was awarded a "kill-assist" on that one and got to paint a "half-hind" on the nose.

Still some very good work by the folks involved in this!

Randy

Actually not so much "over-kill" really. Note the blue-body practice bomb. In this case the LGB kit costs more than the concrete and iron of the bomb body and since there is no explosion... Kind of cost effective if you ask me. Think of one of those bashing its way all the way through a pirate ship. Even if it doesn't sink them immediatly they suddenly know that "someone" has their number and can do it again if they don't run and run now. And the follow up can always be an HE shot if they don't get the hint the first time.

I'm willing to support putting this into action :)

Randy

RanulfC said:
Avimimus said:

Slight correction, it was a Hind not a Hip. The main reason the F-15 used an LGB was because the Hind's AAMs outranged the F-15s by a couple of miles. No such issue with the LGB :)

Randy

Jesus. ::) They used the LGB because the helicopter was hovering and stationary (or very low speed) trying not to be seen.

A problem I would expect to come up with this test is some hammering by the US tax payer !
Why waste a valuable US boat, when there probably are still enough around the Somalian coast ? ;D

sferrin said:
RanulfC said:
Avimimus said:

Randy

Jesus. ::) They used the LGB because the helicopter was hovering and stationary (or very low speed) trying not to be seen.

I always heard that it (the helicopter) was on the ground, took off into a hover after the bomb was dropped, and the WSO just shrugged his shoulders and kept the designator on it...

gtg947h said:
sferrin said:
RanulfC said:
Avimimus said:

Randy

I always heard that it (the helicopter) was on the ground, took off into a hover after the bomb was dropped, and the WSO just shrugged his shoulders and kept the designator on it...

The AWACS ops were seeing a patch of desert that was moving away from them at "x" speed with a similar patch moving toward them at "x" speed all about the size of a helo rotor. They called in a couple of F-15Es to get a visual and the pilots called out a Hind hovering between two hills. They were cleared to take it out but the only thing they had on-board were AIM-9s and LGBs. The pilots didn't want to close to AIM-9 range so they choose to drop an LGB. And yes it was "stationary" all the way through impact.

Randy

Where did you come up with this:
"The main reason the F-15 used an LGB was because the Hind's AAMs outranged the F-15s by a couple of miles."

sferrin said:
"The main reason the F-15 used an LGB was because the Hind's AAMs outranged the F-15s by a couple of miles."

AWACS Ops, that was the reason the F-15s wouldn't close for a sidewinder shot. Pilots said the standard load-out Aphid/Archer could out-range their sidewinders (AIM-9Ls at the time) so they were NOT going to close to engage. "MY" take is they didn't want to expend their only two AAMs (assuming standard ops and only one engages) just in case. (They were a "stand-by" attack package awaiting TOO) Even with the "L"s cooled optics distingushing between the hot sand and a running engine at long range was probably not the best idea either.

Randy

Archers could, but not Aphids - the R-60 is a very short range self-defense missile - especially when fired from a low/slow helicopter.

Some Mi-24s were equipped with R-60s for patrolling airspace in Moscow or Petersburg - but that was for intercepting civilian aircraft. I've also seen a photograph of an R-60 on an Mi-8. However, I've never heard of Iraqi helicopters carrying AAMs (if anyone has information - I'd be quite interested).

Iraqi Mi-24s have scored air-to-air kills against Iranian helicopters - but this was done with command-guided anti-tank missiles (9M114 if I recall correctly). One even reportedly fired on an F-14 - however, the ability of such a missile to hit a jet fire is quite low.

It is much more plausible that the LGB was used to keep outside MANPAD range (or other Iraqi ground units).

Anyway - the partial kill being awarded to the AWACs for a helicopter is a neat story I hadn't heard.

RanulfC said:
sferrin said:

AWACS Ops, that was the reason the F-15s wouldn't close for a sidewinder shot. Pilots said the standard load-out Aphid/Archer could out-range their sidewinders (AIM-9Ls at the time) so they were NOT going to close to engage. "MY" take is they didn't want to expend their only two AAMs (assuming standard ops and only one engages) just in case. (They were a "stand-by" attack package awaiting TOO) Even with the "L"s cooled optics distingushing between the hot sand and a running engine at long range was probably not the best idea either.

Randy

"AWACS Ops"? Could you be more specific?

edit: From the horse's mouth:

"Bombing the Helicopter

On one flight, we used a laser-guided bomb [LGB] to shoot down a helicopter. This occurred on February 14, Valentine's Day. The mission was a Scud CAP [combat air patrol] in northwestern Iraq. During the Scud CAPs, we would look around with either the FLIR targeting pod or the radar to find the mobile Scuds. My wingman had twelve Mk. 82s, and I had four GBU-10s-2,000-pound LGBs-four AIM-9s, and two external fuel tanks. I was leading the flight.

Our CAP time on this mission was 1:00 to 3:00 in the morning. We went up and hit the tanker and then proceeded north. Our patrol area started up at Al Qaim, near the Syrian border, and ran east about halfway to Baghdad, south to just beyond H-2, and then back to the Syrian border.

The weather was bad that night, with clouds from about 4,000 feet to about 18,000 feet. We were cruising above the weather, waiting for AWACS [an E-3 Airborne Warning and Control System aircraft] or someone else to pass us some coordinates on some Scuds.

AWACS gave us a call and said that a Special Forces team was in trouble. They had been found by the Iraqis, who were moving to cut them off. We had ten to fifteen Special Forces teams in the general area looking for Scuds. This team was about 300 miles across the border.

Five Iraqi helicopters were in their area-about fifty miles to our west. As we headed in their direction, I put my wingman in a four-mile trail formation behind me because I had to go down through the weather. When I was about fifty miles from the team, Capt. Dan Bakke, my back-seater, began working the radar to look for the helicopters. We got contacts on them moving west to east, just like the AWACS had said.

Dan and I started talking about what we were going to do. We knew there were helicopters down there, but if we were going to shoot them down, we wanted confirmation that they were bad guys. We called up AWACS, call sign Cougar, and asked them if there were any friendly helicopters in the area. The AWACS controller said, "We don't have any friendlies in the area. Any helicopters you find, you are cleared to shoot."

We got a little closer and kept going down to get below the weather. I wanted to confirm, one more time, before we lost contact with AWACS, that these were definitely bad guys and not some of our Special Forces helicopters coming to get the team. We had a few based in Syria that would have been following the same general course and could have gotten to the area fairly quickly. AWACS confirmed there were no friendlies in the area.

We continued to press in and were down to about 2,500 feet along the major road between Baghdad and the Syrian border. That area was always hot with a lot of AAA. I was working the radar, and Dan was working the high-resolution FLIR in the targeting pod to find the helicopters. When we popped out of the clouds fifteen to twenty miles from the team, Dan could see the helicopters with the pod. They were moving pretty much abreast, with the lead out in front in the middle. They were still moving west to east. They were moving and stopping at regular intervals.

There was also a group of troops on the ground to the east of the team. We started getting AAA fire from these troops. To us, it looked as if they were trying to herd the team with the helicopters into the troops to the east. The helicopters were keeping an even distance from each other, and we figured they might be dropping off troops to help herd the team.

The image on the pod was good enough to identify the helicopters as probable [Mi-24] "Hinds," five to ten miles out. Hinds can carry troops and are heavily armed with rockets and machine guns. As soon as the helicopters picked up and started moving, we were getting hits off them on the radar. The radar would stay locked on them when they were on the ground because the moving rotor blades were picked up.

Dan and I discussed how we wanted to conduct the attack. We decided to hit the lead helicopter with a GBU-10 while he was on the ground. If we hit him, he would be destroyed. If he moved off before the bomb landed, it would still get the troops he just left on the ground. It would also give the other helicopters something to think about, which might give the team a chance to get away in the confusion. We would then circle around and pop the others as we could. We passed our plan to our wingman and told him to get the first helicopter he saw with an AIM-9.

By this time, we were screaming over the ground, doing about 600 knots--almost 700 mph. The AAA was still coming up pretty thick. Our course took us right over the top of the Iraqi troops to the east of the team. We didn't know exactly where our team was, but it was looking to us like things were getting pretty hairy for the Special Forces guys.

Dan was lasing the lead helicopter. We let the bomb go from about four miles out while the leader was on the ground. Because of our speed, it had a hell of a range on it-more range than an AIM-9. I got AIM-9 guidance going and uncaged a Sidewinder. I was ready to fire the missile as soon as we were in range.

Just as we released the bomb, the airspeed readout on the radar showed the target at 100 knots and climbing. The lead chopper had picked up and started moving. I said, "There's no chance the bomb will get him now," even though Dan was working hard to keep the laser spot on him. I got a good lock with my missile and was about to pickle off a Sidewinder when the bomb flew into my field of view on the targeting IR screen.

There was a big flash, and I could see pieces flying in different directions. It blew the helicopter to hell, damn near vaporized it.

We sat there for a few seconds, just staring. By that time, the AAA was getting real heavy and the other helicopters were starting to scatter. I told my wingman to put three Mk. 82 500-pounders on that same spot to get any troops that the helos dropped off.

We beat up the area with bombs and were going to circle around and come down on them again. I popped up above 10,000 feet and talked to AWACS to tell them what was going on. They said, "I understand you visually ID'ed that as an Iraqi helo."

I said, "No, it's still dark out here, but I saw a FLIR image of what I took to be a Hind."

At that point, my stomach hit the floor. I told AWACS to get the AWACS commander on the radio. Dan and I were thinking, "We hit a friendly helo." But when we got the AWACS commander on the air, he confirmed that there were no friendlies in the area.

With that confirmed, I told Dan, "OK, let's go back down and get the rest of the helos." We got down low and the AAA was just as bad as before. The helicopters scattered and were running north. My wingman and I were sorting them out and waiting to get within AIM-9 range. We were about ten miles behind and closing fast.

I was running in on them and getting ready to be a hero and knock a few more down when, all of a sudden, I started seeing flashes on both sides of us. I thought, "What have they done? Here we are in the middle of a bunch of SAMs!"

Then it hit me: Those weren't SAMs. They were bombs! AWACS had sent another flight in and told them to drop bombs on a set of coordinates. Those coordinates happened to be us!

I figured we had pushed our luck far enough, and we got the hell out of there. AWACS gave the orders to that other flight on another frequency. If it had been on ours, I would have heard the bombers' side of the conversation and could have canceled the drop. I decided we had had enough for one day, but our night wasn't over yet. We still had fifteen minutes left on our Scud CAP and were directed to a site near H-2. We found a mobile Scud on a launchpad, attacked it, and then headed home.

The Special Forces team got out OK and went back to Central Air Forces headquarters to say thanks and confirm our kill for us. They saw the helicopter go down. When the helos had bugged out, the team moved back to the west and was extracted"

http://www.airforcemag.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/1993/January%201993/0193bennett.aspx

sferrin said:
RanulfC said:
sferrin said:

Randy

"AWACS Ops"? Could you be more specific?

AWACS operators (crew) during de-brief. Apparently not the same incident you noted as it was single helo, no weather and no spec-ops team. One radar operator had an "anomaly" show up on his display. After determining it wasn't a radar or systems "glitch" he inquired of the other operators if they had seen this type of anomaly before and it turned out the senior operator had. According to the radar doppler system there was a patch of "sand" going "towards" the AWACS while about 30ft away there was a patch of sand travelling "away" from the AWACS. This according to the senior was indicative of a helo in a hover close to the ground.

The crew called in a pair of F-15Es that were on stand-by for a "target-of-opportunity" mission to get a visual and make and ID. The F-15s reported a single Hind hovering or sitting on the ground with its rotors going tucked in between two low hills. (Confirmed by the AWACS as the F-15s were sending their video feed to them) When asked what kind of armaments they were carrying the F-15s replied LGBs and AIM-9s. After discussion (and finding out there was no other assets in the area capable of engaging) the F-15 said they didn't want to close in to AIM-9 range because the Hind's carried AAMs that ourranged them AIM-9 by a couple of miles. (Sounds like a misundertanding about the AAMs)

But the pilot had an idea, (I'm thinking I now know where the idea came from) The Wingman did the lasing and the lead dropped the bomb. FLIR video (yes we got to watch it) showed the Hind never suspected a thing all the way through impact and simply sat there.

AWACS aircraft got the "partial" credit because they spotted it and tracked it all the way through the engagement.

Randy

edit: From the horse's mouth:

"Bombing the Helicopter

On one flight, we used a laser-guided bomb [LGB] to shoot down a helicopter. This occurred on February 14, Valentine's Day. The mission was a Scud CAP [combat air patrol] in northwestern Iraq. During the Scud CAPs, we would look around with either the FLIR targeting pod or the radar to find the mobile Scuds. My wingman had twelve Mk. 82s, and I had four GBU-10s-2,000-pound LGBs-four AIM-9s, and two external fuel tanks. I was leading the flight.

Our CAP time on this mission was 1:00 to 3:00 in the morning. We went up and hit the tanker and then proceeded north. Our patrol area started up at Al Qaim, near the Syrian border, and ran east about halfway to Baghdad, south to just beyond H-2, and then back to the Syrian border.

The weather was bad that night, with clouds from about 4,000 feet to about 18,000 feet. We were cruising above the weather, waiting for AWACS [an E-3 Airborne Warning and Control System aircraft] or someone else to pass us some coordinates on some Scuds.

AWACS gave us a call and said that a Special Forces team was in trouble. They had been found by the Iraqis, who were moving to cut them off. We had ten to fifteen Special Forces teams in the general area looking for Scuds. This team was about 300 miles across the border.

Five Iraqi helicopters were in their area-about fifty miles to our west. As we headed in their direction, I put my wingman in a four-mile trail formation behind me because I had to go down through the weather. When I was about fifty miles from the team, Capt. Dan Bakke, my back-seater, began working the radar to look for the helicopters. We got contacts on them moving west to east, just like the AWACS had said.

Dan and I started talking about what we were going to do. We knew there were helicopters down there, but if we were going to shoot them down, we wanted confirmation that they were bad guys. We called up AWACS, call sign Cougar, and asked them if there were any friendly helicopters in the area. The AWACS controller said, "We don't have any friendlies in the area. Any helicopters you find, you are cleared to shoot."

We got a little closer and kept going down to get below the weather. I wanted to confirm, one more time, before we lost contact with AWACS, that these were definitely bad guys and not some of our Special Forces helicopters coming to get the team. We had a few based in Syria that would have been following the same general course and could have gotten to the area fairly quickly. AWACS confirmed there were no friendlies in the area.

We continued to press in and were down to about 2,500 feet along the major road between Baghdad and the Syrian border. That area was always hot with a lot of AAA. I was working the radar, and Dan was working the high-resolution FLIR in the targeting pod to find the helicopters. When we popped out of the clouds fifteen to twenty miles from the team, Dan could see the helicopters with the pod. They were moving pretty much abreast, with the lead out in front in the middle. They were still moving west to east. They were moving and stopping at regular intervals.

There was also a group of troops on the ground to the east of the team. We started getting AAA fire from these troops. To us, it looked as if they were trying to herd the team with the helicopters into the troops to the east. The helicopters were keeping an even distance from each other, and we figured they might be dropping off troops to help herd the team.

The image on the pod was good enough to identify the helicopters as probable [Mi-24] "Hinds," five to ten miles out. Hinds can carry troops and are heavily armed with rockets and machine guns. As soon as the helicopters picked up and started moving, we were getting hits off them on the radar. The radar would stay locked on them when they were on the ground because the moving rotor blades were picked up.

Dan and I discussed how we wanted to conduct the attack. We decided to hit the lead helicopter with a GBU-10 while he was on the ground. If we hit him, he would be destroyed. If he moved off before the bomb landed, it would still get the troops he just left on the ground. It would also give the other helicopters something to think about, which might give the team a chance to get away in the confusion. We would then circle around and pop the others as we could. We passed our plan to our wingman and told him to get the first helicopter he saw with an AIM-9.

By this time, we were screaming over the ground, doing about 600 knots--almost 700 mph. The AAA was still coming up pretty thick. Our course took us right over the top of the Iraqi troops to the east of the team. We didn't know exactly where our team was, but it was looking to us like things were getting pretty hairy for the Special Forces guys.

Dan was lasing the lead helicopter. We let the bomb go from about four miles out while the leader was on the ground. Because of our speed, it had a hell of a range on it-more range than an AIM-9. I got AIM-9 guidance going and uncaged a Sidewinder. I was ready to fire the missile as soon as we were in range.

Just as we released the bomb, the airspeed readout on the radar showed the target at 100 knots and climbing. The lead chopper had picked up and started moving. I said, "There's no chance the bomb will get him now," even though Dan was working hard to keep the laser spot on him. I got a good lock with my missile and was about to pickle off a Sidewinder when the bomb flew into my field of view on the targeting IR screen.

There was a big flash, and I could see pieces flying in different directions. It blew the helicopter to hell, damn near vaporized it.

We sat there for a few seconds, just staring. By that time, the AAA was getting real heavy and the other helicopters were starting to scatter. I told my wingman to put three Mk. 82 500-pounders on that same spot to get any troops that the helos dropped off.

We beat up the area with bombs and were going to circle around and come down on them again. I popped up above 10,000 feet and talked to AWACS to tell them what was going on. They said, "I understand you visually ID'ed that as an Iraqi helo."

I said, "No, it's still dark out here, but I saw a FLIR image of what I took to be a Hind."

At that point, my stomach hit the floor. I told AWACS to get the AWACS commander on the radio. Dan and I were thinking, "We hit a friendly helo." But when we got the AWACS commander on the air, he confirmed that there were no friendlies in the area.

With that confirmed, I told Dan, "OK, let's go back down and get the rest of the helos." We got down low and the AAA was just as bad as before. The helicopters scattered and were running north. My wingman and I were sorting them out and waiting to get within AIM-9 range. We were about ten miles behind and closing fast.

I was running in on them and getting ready to be a hero and knock a few more down when, all of a sudden, I started seeing flashes on both sides of us. I thought, "What have they done? Here we are in the middle of a bunch of SAMs!"

Then it hit me: Those weren't SAMs. They were bombs! AWACS had sent another flight in and told them to drop bombs on a set of coordinates. Those coordinates happened to be us!

I figured we had pushed our luck far enough, and we got the hell out of there. AWACS gave the orders to that other flight on another frequency. If it had been on ours, I would have heard the bombers' side of the conversation and could have canceled the drop. I decided we had had enough for one day, but our night wasn't over yet. We still had fifteen minutes left on our Scud CAP and were directed to a site near H-2. We found a mobile Scud on a launchpad, attacked it, and then headed home.

The Special Forces team got out OK and went back to Central Air Forces headquarters to say thanks and confirm our kill for us. They saw the helicopter go down. When the helos had bugged out, the team moved back to the west and was extracted"

http://www.airforcemag.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/1993/January%201993/0193bennett.aspx