Komarov's last words

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: USAP
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
An article here:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2011/03/18/134597833/cosmonaut-crashed-into-earth-crying-in-rage?ft=1&f=1026

Has the last, really unpleasant open-casket photo of Soviet Cosmonaut Vladimir Komarov... and further down, an audio recording of his last words. Would any of our Russian-speakers be interested in translating?

That photo shows terrible judgement on NPR's part. I wouldn't want to see the body of one of our astronauts displayed that way either.

i find most tactless to publish that picture in internet...

Orionblamblam said:
GeorgeA said:
That photo shows terrible judgement on NPR's part.

Yeah, that was my thought. I can see NPR *linking* to the photo with a warning, but putting it right at top seemed an odd choice.
When mannerism lost to journalism. The pic is very insensitive, but it makes the article much more powerful to readers.

BAROBA said:
The article states that they only found a partial bone... So that are remains of his suit?

If my memory serves me, the heat damage he suffered was due not primarily to re-entry, but to the parachutes not opening, his capsule slamming into the ground at several hundred miles per hour, and the reaction control system propellants bursting and catching fire. A rocket fuel/oxidizer fire would be just the thing to virtually *VAPORIZE* bones. So, yeah, a space suit designed specifically to withstand high temperatures might be the only part of him left in *any* form.

Browse "Kennedy autopsy" on Wikipedia - it has picture of Kennedy's head (or what was left of it).
:-[

some comments from the blog

Kristen Bachelor (SpaceHistorian) wrote:
I'm really disappointed to see such a misleading story on the highly respected NPR site. Firstly, this is not a "new" book - it was published in 1998, and is being republished for the anniversary with a new afterword. All of the stories noted were in the original, and were in turn published in other books decades earlier.

Plus, as others such as respected historians Oberg and Siddiqi point out in their comments, these stories have been debunked. Most recently, Colin Burgess wrote a careful examination of the stories (and the fact-based truth of what happened) in his excellent space history book "In the Shadow of the Moon," published in 2007.

this is another example of yellow journalism
Transcript of audio recording of Komarov’s last words was declassified here in 2002, audio itself was a part of 2006 documentary 'Space. First Blood', about that time Komarov's remains photo was declassified too.
Audio has nothing common with bullshit I hear in article’s audio.
Audio transcript http://www.kp.ru/daily/22512/16042/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O0S8GuDIi0

last person Komarov (callsign Rubin) was talking to was Gagarin (callsign Zarya)

Zarya - How do you feel?
Rubin - I feel good. Everything is OK.
Z. - Here comrades recommend you to breath deeper. Waiting for you at landing...
R. - Thank you. Tell everyone. De[staging] occured.

After destaging from service module and re-entry Soyuz lacks antennas and only retrieve ability to communicate after parachute deployed as antennas are put on canopy lines, that never did happen in case with Soyuz-1

GeorgeA said:

NPR just got deprived of taxpayer funding, so expect even more biased and inaccurate sensationalism.

Come on guys, Robert Krulwich bases the content of his blog on information from Starman: The Truth Behind the Legend of Yuri Gagarin by Jamie Doran and Piers Bizony.

This extraordinarily intimate account of the 1967 death of a Russian cosmonaut appears in a new book, Starman, by Jamie Doran and Piers Bizony, to be published next month. The authors base their narrative principally on revelations from a KGB officer, Venymin Ivanovich Russayev, and previous reporting by Yaroslav Golovanov in Pravda. This version — if it's true — is beyond shocking.

Krulwich isn't reporting that Russayev's version of events is true or that Doran and Bizony's book is a true account of events. Note Krulwich's skepticism or qualifier here. So I don't understand the claims of yellow journalism here or NPR bias or inaccurate sensationalism.

circle-5 said:
GeorgeA said:

NPR just got deprived of taxpayer funding, so expect even more biased and inaccurate sensationalism.

You can't make such allegations since Krulwich isn't claiming that Doran and Brizony's book is accurate.

To his credit, Krulwich wrote a follow-up blog based on the Comments that his article generated including new information from James Oberg and Asif Siddiqi that contradict Russayev's version of events that are reported in Doran and Bizony's book.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2011/03/22/134735091/questions-questions-questions-more-on-a-cosmonauts-mysterious-death

James Oberg writes:

Well, the Russians have noticed the media flap and they are mighty pissed.

Британскую книгу о Гагарине раскритиковали в России
22 марта 2011, 16:15 // http://www.vz.ru/news/2011/3/22/477710.html

Think about it -- they are about the celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first man in space, the greatest event in the living memory of most of today's Russians (a few remember VE Day), and some British publisher figures, 'Hey, re-issue a book calling Gagarin a suicidal drunk and also claim that a gut-wrenching PRIVATE viewing of a dead cosmonaut's remains is actually the public funeral, and describe a lot of murderous conspiracies and betrayals -- hey, that might make a lot of money!"

Sigh. That's life. BUT. Why did some of our own shudda-known-better folks become accessories after the fact to this monstrosity?

Now, the Soviets originally sorta set things up with their obsessive secrecy and their deliberate deceptions re space, but that was decades ago and they [and their phony claims] wound up on the ash heap of history as they deserved. Nothing is certain, but there is a powerful consensus among historians about the most likely true course of those events.

And these new claims don't seem closely related to that consensus.
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 17:19:25

Source:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2011/03/22/134735091/questions-questions-questions-more-on-a-cosmonauts-mysterious-death

Note that Krulwich only got around to finding bona fide experts via his blog after writing a piece for NPR's general audience based upon information that was a) not new and b) dubious, even by his own admission. If he didn't know these experts existed when he wrote his NPR story, then he doesn't know his business. If he did, but didn't bother to contact them for use in qualifying the NPR piece, then he knows his business all too well.

We hear lots of noise from NPR about how its reporters don't do misleading stories tarted up with lurid images "like those faux news people." This story should have been spiked, and Krulwich should have been spanked. Maybe Krulwich will try harder after his employer is shoved away from the federal teat.

Sorry for the off-topic, but this untrustworthy story and its incredibly tasteless lead image really hacked me off.

This is worth a look at:-

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3Z_m7onLw74?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PS - first time trying to 'embed' avideo from YT.....not sure it worked...appreciate support with this

ta!