• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

KFX Korean Indigenous Fighter programme

Deino

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Any news from the prototype itself?

Frogfigther

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
war-20200831-221416-001.jpg
Central fuselage for KF-X Prototype.
war-20200831-221358-000.jpg
Internal fuel tank model.
war-20200831-221548-005.png
Film style RAM(similar to RAM applied to F-35).
war-20200831-222443-000.jpg
1:1 scale cockpit model.

Source
https://m.blog.naver.com/jhst3103/222027193901
https://m.blog.naver.com/jhst3103/222058914795

Last edited:

helmutkohl

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
great, thanks for all the pics and update even if they are in the Korean language.

the KFX really excites me. Not so much because its cutting edge..
but because its a new entry into a mid-weight fighter market that has been traditionally dominated by the US, Western Europe, Russia, and the PRC.
especially because its a stealth jet (well semi-stealth for now until they get the funding for the full stealth version)

stealthflanker

Reaction score
All that remains now is hope that Indonesia does not reduce the amount of purchase as it would considerably affect the price of each aircraft.

I did a little lookup on possible KFX cost. I'm using modified DAPCA84 (Gonna update it to whatever latest version i could get soon)
Production run of 200 aircrafts + 6 prototypes would amount to about 16.2 B USD (FY2020, RDTE+ Flyaway cost) Which make each plane cost about 97 M USD. Additional 50 aircrafts however would allow 64 M USD Price.

If Indonesia ever cancel or reduce the amount of purchase, the plane would end up having about 109 M USD of cost. Which might not be the best interest for Korea.

stealthflanker

Reaction score
Ok. Guess this is it. Not as finished as i think it would be. But as seen, the shape is clear, the AESA is installed.

Oh and Video of assembling process too.

Attachments

Last edited:

Frogfigther

Reaction score

Attachments

helmutkohl

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 12.35.21.png
modified froggy's pic to better explain
my question is.. in the future, can the semi-recessed bay version be modified to use the full bay in the future?

stealthflanker

Reaction score
View attachment 640573
my question is.. in the future, can the semi-recessed bay version be modified to use the full bay in the future?
The answer is yes... it's just something far ahead in the future. Once the first batch operational KFX enters service and operational experience gained

Bhurki

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
View attachment 640573
That rectangular block that covers the volume for the supposed weapons bay might be an additional fuel tank.
So in the future there might be 2 versions -
One long legged version with shown configuration of semi recessed A-A points, and another shorter legged version with internal bay used for A-G/A munition.

Maro.Kyo

Reaction score
View attachment 640573
That rectangular block that covers the volume for the supposed weapons bay might be an additional fuel tank.
So in the future there might be 2 versions -
One long legged version with shownconfiguration of semi recessed A-A points, and another shorter legged version with internal bay used for A-G/A munition.
It's known as the ammunition storage for the 20mm vulcan. Currently more than 300 rounds could be loaded so even when the IWB is installed, I guess around healthy 150 or so rounds could be loaded.

Bhurki

Reaction score
How much fuel does it carry internally?

tyrin

Reaction score
All that remains now is hope that Indonesia does not reduce the amount of purchase as it would considerably affect the price of each aircraft.

I did a little lookup on possible KFX cost. I'm using modified DAPCA84 (Gonna update it to whatever latest version i could get soon)
Production run of 200 aircrafts + 6 prototypes would amount to about 16.2 B USD (FY2020, RDTE+ Flyaway cost) Which make each plane cost about 97 M USD. Additional 50 aircrafts however would allow 64 M USD Price.

If Indonesia ever cancel or reduce the amount of purchase, the plane would end up having 109 M USD of cost. Which might not be the best interest for Korea.
My friend, I think it will be sold well in the middle east to countries like the UAE which have very good relations with South Korea to replace Mirage 2000 and Block 60 in 10-15 years possibly and complement F-35.

Last edited:

helmutkohl

Reaction score
My friend, I think it will be sold well in the middle east to countries like the UAE which have very good relations with South Korea to replace Mirage 2000 and Block 60 in 10-15 years possibly and complement F-35.
do you think it will be superior to the late block F-16s and Eurofighter/Rafales?

tyrin

Reaction score
do you think it will be superior to the late block F-16s and Eurofighter/Rafales?
Block 2 and 3 are undoubtedly superior in my opinion supposedly their stealth features will become close to F-117 and F-22 later. Also avionics are crucial and i believe the Koreans can pull off a good package.

Lascaris

Reaction score

If Indonesia ever cancel or reduce the amount of purchase, the plane would end up having about 109 M USD of cost. Which might not be the best interest for Korea.
Silly question but can the model/calculator be found online?

stealthflanker

Reaction score
Silly question but can the model/calculator be found online?
No, but the equations are as follows :

To implement.png

You can easily implement them into Excel or any spreadsheet program, then divide the RD/TE with the amount of aircrafts being produced plus prototype. That's how you got the "initial" batch cost. Later however you may want to introduce "production cost curve" This would be simpler, where the required variable is the learning curve constant (0.95 maybe for aircraft made using imported components) Then you could estimate the cost of future batch.

Word of caution however is to implement correction as the equations are for FY-86 USD. You have to correct the estimate with present day USD.

helmutkohl

Reaction score

TLDR: Koreans sending delegation to Indonesia to demand answers on the status of their contribution
Indonesians want to reduce amount of contribution, and also want an option to pay via CN-235 planes rather than cash
also want more tech transfers

stealthflanker

Reaction score

TLDR: Koreans sending delegation to Indonesia to demand answers on the status of their contribution
Indonesians want to reduce amount of contribution, and also want an option to pay via CN-235 planes rather than cash
also want more tech transfers
This is embarrassing but true. The butthurt back from 2013 hasnt healed.

We actually budgeted for KFX devs and plan to pay on time since 2012. The problem was that when the budget really got approved, there was that 2013 political matters in Korea (election and stuff) which slowed down the project and the budget ended up not being properly absorbed. This is what our treasury and bean counters doesnt like to see. As a result they slashed down the budget next year, worst that there begin voices deep down in our govs on KFX. There also apparently a loop holes in the MOU where delay in payments actually goes unpunished.

My biggest issue is why our govt rate themselves way too highly. Or maybe it's an ethiquette in diplomacy where one cant really talk straight about their real condition.