JMR (Joint Multi-Role) & FVL (Future Vertical Lift) Programs

https://breakingdefense.com/2024/04...d-about-job-cuts-at-sikorsky-helicopter-unit/

The Connecticut delegation is of course primarily concerned about the jobs aspect of things, but I do wish there was some more questioning about the Army's logic with this decision. How much input did Army helicopter crewmen get in the big picture? How can we be reassured they aren't making the same mistake made 20 years ago when the RAH-66 was cancelled citing the exact same reasoning?

Personally, I am still in favor of having such a manned dedicated reconnaissance helicopter used as FAC for drones. If the "nothing but drones" crowd always has their way it won't be long now before we start seeing cuts to the fleet of AH-64s. And despite the talk I have yet to hear anything about a new program for a relatively large, unmanned rotorcraft like UCAR was supposed to be.

At this point there really is no choice.
Camr across these 3 AH-6Js at Drake Field in Fayetteville, AR back on March 9th. 35 years old and still going strong. Always wonder what parts are still on there from the production line....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• z89-25353 AH-6J - 1.jpg
    z89-25353 AH-6J - 1.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 37
  • z89-25366 AH-6J - 1.jpg
    z89-25366 AH-6J - 1.jpg
    850 KB · Views: 29
  • z89-25374 AH-6J - 3.jpg
    z89-25374 AH-6J - 3.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 24
  • zMG_5443.jpg
    zMG_5443.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 29
Question is, what will the Marines do to replace the Cobra?
Different program, but they want something that can do 350-375 knots and fly just as far as an Osprey (~900nmi/1600km). Which is looking a lot like a V280 or a tandem cockpit gunship using the same wings/engines/proprotors.

Baugher has these list as AH-6J - is that still true or have they morphed into MH-6Ms or?!

Thanks! Mark
SOAR has two versions of the aircraft, based on a standard airframe. They define the gunship as AH-6M and the lift birds as MH-6M. I speculate that they can be made interchangeable, however, I am not sure if the "AH" version has specific targeting equipment that would make changing the MH "plank bird" into an AH "gun bird problematic and vice versa.

Different program, but they want something that can do 350-375 knots and fly just as far as an Osprey (~900nmi/1600km). Which is looking a lot like a V280 or a tandem cockpit gunship using the same wings/engines/proprotors.
Not sure the FLRAA wing is designed to go ~350 knots. Drag, G loading, and pressures are significantly greater than ~250 knots. Out of my element with this hypothesis, so will defer to one of the "aero-types, " who is knowledgeable.
I would think that the USMC would be hesitant to do a new aircraft just now whereas the FLRAA, as is, can keep up with MV-22.

Not sure the FLRAA wing is designed to go ~350 knots. Drag, G loading, and pressures are significantly greater than ~250 knots. Out of my element with this hypothesis, so will defer to one of the "aero-types, " who is knowledgeable.
I would think that the USMC would be hesitant to do a new aircraft just now whereas the FLRAA, as is, can keep up with MV-22.
Didn't they test the V280 up past 325knots?

As for the tandem cockpit version, I was assuming literally the V280 wing with a narrower fuselage. Basically to make space for weapons bays or stub wings that could clear the rotor disc.

Didn't they test the V280 up past 325knots?

As for the tandem cockpit version, I was assuming literally the V280 wing with a narrower fuselage. Basically to make space for weapons bays or stub wings that could clear the rotor disc.
If they did it was likely in a dive. I do recall they got to 305 knots for a short period. Vendors are reluctant to test one off air vehicles competing for the prize of the century (in Army Aviation at least) to the limit. Broken aircraft tend to find their way to the bottom of the list, especially if there is only one of them. IF they put a new fuselage on the wing and internalized the weapons, I suppose less drag would allow the aircraft to cruise at a higher speed.

If they did it was likely in a dive. I do recall they got to 305 knots for a short period. Vendors are reluctant to test one off air vehicles competing for the prize of the century (in Army Aviation at least) to the limit. Broken aircraft tend to find their way to the bottom of the list, especially if there is only one of them. IF they put a new fuselage on the wing and internalized the weapons, I suppose less drag would allow the aircraft to cruise at a higher speed.
V-247 Factsheet...
Screenshot_20240423_203426.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240423_203555.jpg
    Screenshot_20240423_203555.jpg
    680.2 KB · Views: 13
  • bell-v247-fact-sheet.pdf
    461.6 KB · Views: 5