Iranian Qaher-313 "indigenous fighter jet"

The first one yes, but the second one seems to be a light aircraft used for test.

Last edited:
If that flies it will be from a giant catapult and you are not getting me in there whan they make a lawn dart out of it. The question that I have burning away is, "Why do they feel the need to do this"? In my amateur opinion, it is to frighten and awe their own people. What kind of regime needs to do that?
It's propaganda from the ruling mullah class, they want to show the world how "advanced" and "capable" the domestic industry has become under their rule. Unfortunately, most of them are suffering from industrial bouts of brain damage and as a result their efforts aren't really convincing anyone.

This type of idiocy isn't really uncommon among mullahs.

For example, I heard an anecdote from some former IRIAF pilot, I can't remember who exactly but he was on Alireza Hamzei's channel. Anyway, he stated that he and a few others were called into a meeting with Dr. Mostafa Chamran, one of the leading mullah "intellectuals". The topic of discussion was the lack of two-seat trainer aircraft since the IRIAF could no longer source them from the U.S. post-revolution. Chamran looked them dead in the eyes and suggested taking the passenger cabin from a Paykan (basically a Hillman Hunter clone) and welding it to an F-5! The pilots thought he was joking but he was dead serious. And this dude had a PhD in plasma physics from U.C. Berkeley!

The second "airframe" err.... "mock-up" is clearly the first one badly modified with some minor details and two engine exhausts rather than one.

There are several movie props done better than this crap (one for all: the LM Darkstar for Top Gun Maverick).
Iranian regime pretend to fool around people all over the World and clearly it can fool around only its own people (not for very much longer judging the recent riots).

The second "airframe" err.... "mock-up" is clearly the first one badly modified with some minor details and two engine exhausts rather than one.

There are several movie props done better than this crap (one for all: the LM Darkstar for Top Gun Maverick).
Iranian regime pretend to fool around people all over the World and clearly it can fool around only its own people (not for very much longer judging the recent riots).

Don’t tell me that Iran now have a second mock-up as well? How much longer will they try to flog this rubbish.

So we know it rolls, the nosewheel appears steerable, and it puts out hot air at the back.. Maybe someone can analyse the footage and see if it actually accelerates at any point, or whether it's simply being pushed from off-screen? [edit] doesn't look to me like the tail control surfaces move when it turns?

Looking at this from another angle, is the pilot all he seems? Has he a demonstrable history as a test pilot, or any kind of pilot? Is the framework of that thing a known airframe? F-5 for example?

Sorry but this "thing" is able to taxi, ok but to fly?
The video is very clever showing off the F-313 moving on the ground but never in the air. Really odd since the first "prototype" was publicly displayed in 2013 so 9 years ago.

Anyway, according to Wikipedia, the "08" taxi test video was released in 2017, so after 5 years anybody has seen such a "thing" in flight:

On 15 April 2017, the prototype Qaher-313 conducted taxi tests. This prototype, designated "08", introduced a number of changes over the models previously showcased, most notably an enlarged cockpit, dual jet exhausts, and a FLIR turret in the nose.

In any case Hollywood was able to produce a full scale mock-up of a taxiing aircraft more than 40 years ago, like this one:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqylqS03C4o

or this one:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDQ0rUdj0KM

I think that F-313 is really a hoax usuful as propaganda but no more than that, otherwise it would have 9 years to produce a lot of hardware, that could be seen in flight, but no.... nothing, niente, nada, nicht, nein....

Regarding the designation the only "313" I usually take as serious is only this one (thanks Uncle Walt....):

1666099624319.png

The first general arrangement model of the F-313 was presented in 2013, and it took 4 years to have, in 2017, news of the project. It is possible that since the taxi tests, 5 years ago, the project has considerably advanced, in secret, because the first stealth of an aircraft is the secrecy surrounding its design. :cool:
Perhaps the first mock-up was a joke intended to distract attention from a real, serious F-313. It happens that the Russians (or during Cold war Soviet) come up with a joke project to fool the West. :p:p
Maybe Iran's political leaders are not aeronautically literate, but the IRIAF has proven its capabilities for years.

A secret aircraft remains secret until it is necessary to be showed for practical purposes, the most famous example is the F-117 fighter.
Instead the B-2, even if stealth, wasn't so secret since it was displayed during its first rollout (like probably the next B-21).

Here we are a "secret" aircraft publicly displayed that AFTER became so secret that even a word was spelled in the last 5 years, come on...

Iranians tried to fool the West ok, but no one took that project seriuosly so it remained just a "fool game".

Nor U.S. and nor Israel was really concerned about it, and both of them have in service the most advanced fighter in the World: the F-35A.

@Orionblamblam : Scott, please say a word....

F-35 is really the most advanced fighter in the world, your mistrust is your opinion. Teething problems are usual for such kind of complex programs.

Looking at the title, the theme here is the Iranian Qaher-313, so, there's no need to start a
fanboy comparison of the F-35 to other jets.
And honestly, I think, we shouldn't want to see it engaged against a fighter of the same generation,
because this certainly would mean just another military conflict !
So, back to topic, please !

Looking at the title, the theme here is the Iranian Qaher-313, so, there's no need to start a
fanboy comparison of the F-35 to other jets.
And honestly, I think, we shouldn't want to see it engaged against a fighter of the same generation,
because this certainly would mean just another military conflict !
So, back to topic, please !

Thank you my dear Jemiba.

I showed this video to an Iranian-born colleague and he dismissed it as silly propaganda. He does does not believe that Iran has the industrial base to build sophisticated airplanes.

He was born and educated (masters' degree) in Iran before moving to Montreal in 1983.

I found this on the F-313 wiki article.
The managing director of the Iran Aviation Industries Organization (IAIO), a subsidiary of the Defense Ministry, announced in a televised interview on 18 February 2023 that the fighter had reached technical maturity but would be reworked and fielded as an unmanned drone rather than a manned aircraft to adapt it to the requirements of Iranian military units, first deliveries would be made in the middle of 2024. No development progress had been publicly demonstrated since taxi trials took place in 2017.

Iran to Showcase Unmanned Version of Home-Made Jet "Qaher-313"

TEHRAN (FNA)- Head of the Iran Aviation Industries Organization (IAIO) Brigadier General Afshin Khajefard said that the country plans to unveil the unmanned version of domestically-built Qaher-313 fighter next year.

Speaking during a TV program on Saturday night, the IAIO chief executive stated that the aircraft was manufactured at the IAIO and the project was first brought up in the media 10 years ago.
"The Qaher project has reached full maturity in terms of technology, but we are producing more diversified products. It means that by the middle of next year, you will see [new] versions of this aircraft that will be delivered to the armed forces," he continued, adding, "The Qaher project will emerge as an unmanned aircraft.”
Khajefard also emphasized that Iran is self-reliant in the field of overhauling commercial aircraft and manufacturing components in defiance of sanctions.
“We have reached a level of self-sufficiency in the field of engines so that today we can produce 10 types of engines, most of which are used on drones and cruise missiles. Of course, our defense industries have also reached self-sufficiency in designing and making heavy engines,” the official continued.
Referring to electric aircraft, Khajefard said that the IAIO has started working on several prototypes that will be tested next year
“Of course, our electric drones have reached full maturity, but manned eclectic aircraft require more improvements,” he explained.
Touching on Iran’s achievements regarding development of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), he added, “We have various classes of missiles, precision-strike bombs, electronic warfare avionics and reconnaissance drones. However, we are trying to develop drones with civilian applications, because drones can be used for agriculture, mapping and firefighting."
The Iranian jet Qaher-313 was unveiled in February 2013. The single-seat stealth fighter jet can take off and land on short runways. In April 2017, the Qaher F-313 fighter was tested for taxiing.
Iranian military experts and technicians have in recent years made substantial headway in manufacturing a broad range of indigenous equipment, making the armed forces self-sufficient in the weaponry sphere.
Iranian officials have repeatedly stressed that the country will not hesitate to boost its military capabilities, including its missile and drone power, which are entirely meant for defense, and that Iran’s defense capabilities will never be subject to negotiation.

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – An Iranian Defense Ministry official unveiled plans to turn the homegrown stealth fighter jet “Qaher (Conqueror)” into a pilotless warplane.

The managing director of the Iran Aviation Industries Organization (IAIO), a subsidiary of the Defense Ministry, announced in a televised interview on Saturday that the Qaher fighter jet project has reached full maturity in technologies.
General Afshin Khajefard said the Defense Ministry is working on the diversity of the final product, adding that the Qaher fighter jet is going to emerge as a pilotless aircraft.
A series of versions of Qaher will be unveiled in the middle of the next Iranian year, which will begin on March 21, he added.
The general noted that the Defense Ministry has made modifications to the Qaher fighter jet to adapt it for the utilities of two military units.
Khajefard also stated that Iran has begun to develop electric airplanes and is going to test two prototypes next year.
Iran has fully gained the technical know-how to manufacture electric drones, but the production of manned electric planes requires more research and development, he added.
The general also highlighted Iran’s progress in the production of firefighting drones, saying two representatives from foreign countries have purchased this Iranian drone.
The Iranian fighter jet Qaher-313 was unveiled in February 2013. The single-seat stealth fighter jet can take off and land on short runways.
Iranian military experts and technicians have in recent years made great headways in manufacturing a broad range of indigenous equipment, making the armed forces self-sufficient in the arms sphere.

Pretty sure the 2017 mock-up retains the double sweep trailing edge on the canards canards like the 2013 mock-up.

And while i certinly do not want to align myself with Babak Taghvaee or the western propaganda in general, i can't say this article below does not have some uncomfortable truths to it.

Defence corruption is i am sure a presence everywhere be it US or other developed MICs, but in iranian case is even more destructive because not only there isn't a very large defence budget to begin with, but considering they are surrounded by hostile nuclear states and constantly being threatened with attack from, they need to spend every dime as wisely and effectively as possible.

Attachments

• F313-2-view.jpg
    F313-2-view.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 20
  • F313-20130202-00040.png
    F313-20130202-00040.png
    807.5 KB · Views: 19
Looks like Iran are serious about developing this fighter after all, it may well be that Iran may have the last laugh.

Only someone uninformed would have believe they were not being serious despite them producing full sized prototype of the aircraft 4 years after unveiling model of it and in present day when they released more information on Qaher-313 that is reformed into UCAV type jet.

Iran reverse engineered and reproduced J85-GE-21 with first manufactured examples shown in 2016 and in 2020 they have shown FJ33 clone.
Now in 2023 their major turbine company MAPNA hinted at domestic production of CFM-56 which is derivative of F101 used by B1 Lancer.
Iranians in near future could be producing domestically low bypass turbofan with comparable thrust to AL-31 series of jet engines.

Along ever increasing range and performance of their surface to air missiles and radars of their domestic air defense systems.

All of these developments can culminate to focused investment of resources into larger low RCS or stealth fighter jet by end of this decade.
With real possibility of an aircraft having performance comparable to KF-21 or Su-57 at very least.

Well, if we replace "fighter" with subsonic light attack aircraft, it may technically be within reach. Big, reasonably agile "manned UCAV".

it's within reasonable distance from both their UCAV and F-5 developments.