Iranian Qaher-313 "indigenous fighter jet"

JFC Fuller said:
Spudman,

They are the same avionics I identified, I am still working on ... the lower panel by the pilots knee.

That's the pilot's iPad :p

Sorry JFC, missed your post....

This was not my pic btw, just something I found :)

One of the things I also noticed and haven't seen commented on - is the lack of a weapons bay. None of the diagrams or photos show one and if it were stealth aircraft they couldn't be on hard points (which it also doesn't have). There is no room for a gun either.

So how is this somehow a military machine if it isn't a recon aircraft, no weapons, not a transport and a single seater so not a trainer?

Like they prop 'stealth' aircraft that are slower than a helicopter and also incapable of carrying any sort of weapons load - just what go would the be?

Technically, it is a stealth fighter. If its sitting on the ground, its undetectable to radar, so the Iranians semantically are telling the truth. If it is capable of flight, Iranian radar can't detect it either so its still a stealth fighter.

Abraham Gubler said:
chuck4 said:
The first thing they should do is to design and build a 4th generation fighter.

Easier said than done. Iran’s big problem is they can’t build fighter engines. If they could build something like the RD-33 or WS-19 or even a J79 clone they could turn their reverse engineered F-5 production line into turning out knock off F-20s and they would have a respectable domestic day fighter. But they are limited to producing J85 copies which means trying to build a 21st century SABA (small agile battlefield aircraft) like this Qaher-313.

That's a good idea. They should be building an F-5/20 class derivative with a bigger wing, divertless inlets and canted tails, maybe some forebody chines and a small aesa radar. Then they would have a stealthier fighter that was more realistic in its ambitions.
The 313 looks like a giant scale Chinese made GI Joe toy.

This is a most bizarre public relations stunt. Maybe there is an agenda to it. If US or Israeli bombs ever fall on Tehran people may actually feel sorry for Iran because they were defenseless and harmless. All they could do is feebly roll out a giant plastic GI Joe toy fighter plane with an overgrown hunched over Iranian pilot to crouch in. Defenseless as mighty US jets and bombs pound Iran back into the stone age.

Maybe there is a real version somewhere that is still under wraps.

kcran567 said:
This is a most bizarre public relations stunt. Maybe there is an agenda to it. If US or Israeli bombs ever fall on Tehran people may actually feel sorry for Iran because they were defenseless and harmless. All they could do is feebly roll out a giant plastic GI Joe toy fighter plane with an overgrown hunched over Iranian pilot to crouch in. Defenseless as mighty US jets and bombs pound Iran back into the stone age.

Maybe there is a real version somewhere that is still under wraps.

I must say again, as I did earlier in the thread, that I suspect there is definitely an element of disinformation to this.

There is simply no way, with a moments pause for reflection, that this was going to be pulled off.

Now, who that disinformation is aimed at is the big guess.

Perhaps the local population?
Perhaps to the West, to downplay another more realistic project?
Perhaps this is a crude mock-up of something real, and is only roughly representative of this real aircraft?
Perhaps to downplay real capabilities?
Perhaps to try and mask the concept that the airforce isn't being funded, and that the budget goes to ballistic missiles?

Maybe a combination of all of the above?
Who knows.
The possibilities are endless.
This is what disinformation is, I suppose.

Because I have to assume that this is what this is.
The other possibility, that they really thought they could carry this off, beggars belief. Unbelievable, in fact.
They wouldn't have allowed such up-close photography on an obvious sham (cockpit particularly), for a start.

Surely?
Or am I giving too much credit here?

kcran567 said:
That's a good idea. They should be building an F-5/20 class derivative with a bigger wing, divertless inlets and canted tails, maybe some forebody chines and a small aesa radar. Then they would have a stealthier fighter that was more realistic in its ambitions.

And powered by two J85s it would be a dog. I don’t think you understood my post. Without engines you don’t have fighters. Even if they could build diverterless inlets, canted tails, forebody chines and AESA radar (don’t know what a bigger wing would give them except more drag) they still wouldn’t have an F-20 without the engine. And if they had an F-20 even without any nice extras (including a modern radar) they could churn out 100 a year and have a very formidable day fighter force and near suicide counterair capability that would make everyone else sit up and take notice. But instead they have a thing that looks like something that would place outside the top 10 in an AIAA undergraduate student design competition.

kaiserbill said:
Surely?

I think it’s a prop for a movie about a group of Iranian intelligence agents who pretend to be a Turkish aerospace company in order to get past US passport control and into Los Angeles so they can finally suicide bomb Salman Rushdie. The name of the film is “Qaher” and it stars and is directed by the Iranian Ben Affleck.

Abraham Gubler said:
kaiserbill said:
Surely?

I think it’s a prop for a movie about a group of Iranian intelligence agents who pretend to be a Turkish aerospace company in order to get past US passport control and into Los Angeles so they can finally suicide bomb Salman Rushdie. The name of the film is “Qaher” and it stars and is directed by the Iranian Ben Affleck.

Will Mahmoud Ahmadinnerjacket have a cameo as The Puppetmaster?
With his signature Churchillian V-for-Victory sign given at the end of each success?

Snappy.

On the subject, some of the models in the Iranian fighter thread do seem to resemble a developed, single engined F-5 style aircraft, with twin fins.
Far more practical, IMHO.

The only source of engines in the class needed, as I mentioned earlier, would be China. As would be the radar.
Without trying to derail, what exactly is the status of the two Chinese engines that could fit the bill?
The Shenyang WP-14 Kunlun turbojet and Guizhou WS-13 Taishan turbofan.
There seems to be a dearth of concrete info on the status of thse 2 engines.

I suppose the Xian WS-9 Qinling (Spey) could be thrown into the mix, albeit it is a tad big and heavy.
I seem to recall China recently announced that they had basically completely indiginised it, and are working on the developed Mk2 version.

As stated, the Iranian fleet is very aged.
Their latest aquisition is the Mig-29, purchased over 2 decades ago.
I'm ignoring the limited run of F-5 derivitives, as I don't know if they are new builds or refurbed F-5 airframes.

The rest of their fleet is between 30 and 40 years old, so you would expect some form of new platform, whether indigineous or imported, sooner rather than later.

Allright, my turn. Ahmedinejad of the Common Folk against Laricani of the elites and you maybe saw it on the news where Ahmedinejad and the DVD in his hand, accusing a brother of Laricani of thievery and Laricani kicking him out of the Parliament. Elections are due soon and the Iranian President has lost the support of the Clergy. Democracies being on votes he still has a chance if he can sway minds and hearts but Laricani was for years the chief Negoatiator, the very guy who defended Iranian right to nukes. So we have the plane/mock up, from Ahmedinejad the son of Common people... Regarding any comments about the gullibility of Iranian people, I have this sentence that I should really make my sig; I won't make this an F-35 thread.

Technically I can't say much, as I don't have any training in the field but other sites on the web suggest it would be feasible as a slow speed vehicle. So, a PC-7 killer 30 years late. Before the SPF regulars get into a WTF mood, somebody could come up with a diagram of how 8 MG-3s will be suitable. Considering it was based on the MG-42 it should still be feasible to get some 1200 rpm from each gun, right? But do not ask about Ahmedinejad's aversion to Spitfires, in light of "revelations" that up to 140 may be on the loose.

xVyyjfB.jpg

Abraham Gubler said:
But instead they have a thing that looks like something that would place outside the top 10 in an AIAA undergraduate student design competition.

Surely you must be joking! Let's take a moment to examine the VVLO aspects of the design, according to the Internets:

- Edge alignment! It has so many edges, some MUST be aligned.
- Radar blockers on inlets. These are plainly visible as the red objects in the inlets.
- No nose radar to complicate frontal aspect RCS!
- Fiberglass construction is transparent to radar
- Obvious coating of special paint with high specular reflection - obviously advanced spray on RAM
- In Iran, corners will be made illegal. This reduces the RCS of Iran as a whole as well as the aircraft.

With all of the above features, this may be the most advanced stealth aircraft ever comrades.

Indeed, considering F-313 can also mean there are some 312 fighter designs before that!

Well the glass fiber is terribly heavy, and will show the other parts like the engines instead, which will give the aircraft a huge return. and it's just a mock-up.... they don't have a lot of resources so i don't really think they will be able to make a superior aircraft.

Did anybody notice in the video that the airframe wobbles on the pilot's entry into the cockpit? Doesn't give credit to the aircraft's mass distribution, its weight in general or undercarriage sturdiness. In short, a 100% mockup. On a side, I've always watched for, and laughed at the 'wobble factor' in movies, when pilots hop into aircraft, real or imaginary-check 'Star Wars', 'Firefox', and many more.

Even if it is only a mockup, I wonder if it built out of foam core fiberglass like a Rutan composite aircraft and would that be viable for a "fighter" aircraft for structural and stealth?

antigravite said:
I'm not sure those RC models pictures were posted here. So here they are…
A.

Do you know,what they said here;

The Qaher 313 fighter; has modern electronic systems and able to fly at low levels,
and avoid the radar.

Attachments

• Qher 313.png
    Qher 313.png
    347.7 KB · Views: 362
hesham said:

The Qaher 313 fighter; has modern electronic systems and able to fly at low levels,
and avoid the radar.

All correct with regards to

antigravite said:
A.
;D

Jemiba said:
hesham said:

and avoid the radar.

All correct with regards to

antigravite said:
A.
;D

This F313 entry, surely ranks amongst the funniest topics on this forum. A.

Quite an interesting analysis:

http://aviationintel.com/2013/02/06/my-message-to-the-west-concerning-irans-f-313-fighter-arrogance-can-get-you-killed/

+ a painting found in a Chinese forum of a proposed larger serial version ! ;)

Deino

Attachments

• Qaher 313 painting.jpg
    Qaher 313 painting.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 321
Deino said:

http://aviationintel.com/2013/02/06/my-message-to-the-west-concerning-irans-f-313-fighter-arrogance-can-get-you-killed/

Deino

His analysis doesn't make too much sense to me. The bubble canopy, the canard, the twin fin layout of this Iranian thing does not suggest to me it is meant to represent a real attempt at a medium tech, radarless, low level stealth penetrator intended for waging asymmetrical warfare. If that's all they are after, something looking more like the F-117 would both be a better fit, and more within their capabilities. IMHO this thing is clearly meant to insinuate a maneuverable medium and high altitude stealth tactical fighter along similar lines to stealth fighters being developed by countries with a real aerospace industry. Such a fighter would be worth very little if it is radarless or if it is not pretty high-tech.

BTW, Iranian ability to keep F-14 flying is a tribute to the dedication and ingenuity of its aerospace professionals. But that feat would not teach them much about how to design a fighter from ground up, nor how to integrate systems required for modern fighter to function, nor how to manufacture many of the major airframe components. It certainly wouldn't tech them about anything more advanced than 4th generation technology.

Deino said:

Deino
Personally, I think the leadership is genuinely that dumb/ignorant.

Never underestimate Iran's stupidity or desperation to impress. It wasn't that long ago that an injured Iranian agent in Bangkok (having accidentally blown up his apartment whilst preparing to attack Israeli diplomats) attempted to hail a cab to the airport. Upon being spurned for a ride, he proceeded to toss crude bombs at the surprised cabbie and other bystanders in front of a school until confronted by police, whereupon one of his homemade grenades rebounded off a tree and blew off his legs. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2100917/Bangkok-bomb-Iranian-blows-legs-grenade-hurled-police-bounces-back.html#axzz2KA9Fv3pA

Rank amateurism/idiocy is to be expected, which is what makes them so dangerous if they ever acquire nuclear weapons.

Building a functioning nuclear device requires impressive project management skills and a substantial pool of highly skilled professional talents. Building a deliverable nuclear warhead requires even more of both.

Iran probably has a pool of highly skilled professional talents. How large I don't know. But I think their project management skills is probably not up to par, especially since theocracies tends to interfere on the management side more than on the technical side.

Physics formula are probably something Ayatollahs neither understand or care to try to understand. But thinking big without much basis in fact, and then confidently talking down to and bossing people around would be something any theocrat would feel right at home with.

chuck4 said:
Building a functioning nuclear device requires impressive project management skills and a substantial pool of highly skilled professional talents. Building a deliverable nuclear warhead requires even more of both.
Not really these days. North Korea was able to mange it with even fewer resources.

2IDSGT said:
chuck4 said:
Not really these days. North Korea was able to mange it with even fewer resources.

North Korea is much more totalitarian than Iran, I think NK can focus its limited resource much more sharply on its nuclear project, at the expense of its people not eating, than could Iran.

Also, North Korea's first nuclear test was essentially a dud. The bomb didn't properly go off. No other country that admits to having a nuclear weapon have yet to suffer the embarassment of testing a bomb and finding it couldn't go off properly.

Deino said:

Deino

Whilst I haven't read past the first few paragraphs yet, at least he is thinking out the box, and attempting to figure out what is going on here. So I'll read it entirely later...

Nobody seems to have noticed what I posted earlier in the thread:

Why have such clear photos, from very close up, been published of what is obviously a fake/non-operational/non-full-scale/very cheap/ basic mockup type been out there from the word go?

Other Iranian projects have not gone this route....

That is an important question, IMHO. ;)

kaiserbill said:
Whilst I haven't read past the first few paragraphs yet, at least he is thinking out the box, and attempting to figure out what is going on here. So I'll read it entirely later...

Why have such clear photos, from very close up, been published of what is obviously a fake/non-operational/non-full-scale/very cheap/ basic mockup type been out there from the word go?

That is an important question, IMHO. ;)

Sometimes the answer is in the box. I think the easiest explanation for why they gave away so much in a ill-considered manner during the presentation of this fraud is this propaganda effort fits into a larger strategy that had the backing and impetus from on high, and as a result lower level propaganda fraudsters who normally knows more about what they are doing have been side lined.

kaiserbill said:

Uh... remember the S-300 dumptruck with the oil cans et al? This is far from their first sad attempt at intimidation. I always enjoy the way every guided weapon they *demonstrate* is called a "cruise missile." Here's the best link for keeping up with Iranian bluster. http://english.farsnews.com/NewsV.php?srv=18 Always good for a laugh.

I think you guys are severally misunderstanding the universal media-political cycle. Qaher-313 is clearly an early pre-prototype stage development project for what would have been called in the 1980s a small agile battlefield aircraft (SABA). Actual statements from the project team have not tried to hide how early it is in the schedule. A full size configuration mock-up made from wood or plastic like that presented here is a normal part of such a project.

However what has happened then is the Iranian media-political circus has descended upon this project and made claims that are outrageous from a perspective of exaggerating their efforts and pure ignorance. These media-political claims should not be used to judge the project.

Abraham Gubler said:
I think you guys are severally misunderstanding the universal media-political cycle. Qaher-313 is clearly an early pre-prototype stage development project for what would have been called in the 1980s a small agile battlefield aircraft (SABA).
In that case, why didn't they call it an "SABA mockup" instead of a "unique and peerless... fighter jet"? Maybe there's a problem in the translation. How does one say "we are ignorant douchebags" in Farsi?

2IDSGT said:
In that case, why didn't they call it an "SABA mockup" instead of a "unique and peerless... fighter jet"? Maybe there's a problem in the translation. How does one say "we are ignorant douchebags" in Farsi?

The other sentances, that you didn't quote, from my post explain that.

Abraham Gubler said:
2IDSGT said:

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=9107141080 ;D

2IDSGT said:
Abraham Gubler said:
2IDSGT said:

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=9107141080

Well if it is built it will be ‘unique and peerless’ because no one else has every built a SABA type. Whether it will make any kind of significant impact on a battlefield is a different question.

That this may be an attempt at a mock-up for a future technology demonstrator seems eminently plausible but the notion that in this configuration the aircraft would serve any form of practical operational role, SABA or otherwise, seems nonsensical- there is no indication of any form of armament or sensors.

We know that Iran has been pursuing indigenous combat aircraft for years, Iranian military forums are littered with the detritus; various models and mock-ups. There has been the Sofreh mahi concept, the M-ATF, and the Shafagh-2 M-AT trainer as well as a multiplicity of models in between. Then there was the Azarakhsh which was basically an F-5 with mid-wing that at least seems to have flown before we got the Saeqeh which was just an F-5 with modified intakes and canted twin vertical tail surfaces that seems to have seen some form of low-rate production. When we put the Qaher F313 in this context it does become plausible that the Iranians may be imagining a cleaned up twin engined and enlarged (perhaps even large enough for a human pilot) version as a follow-on to the Saeqeh. That there is an active project would also explain the continued use of the Tu-154 test-bed.

I agree with Abe Gubler and JC Fuller here.

2IDSGT, it is easy to keep mentioning various sites or examples of Iranian silliness, but why ignore their capabilities? Perhaps it is not useful to always wear the anti-Iranian cap so completely, and try and figure what is going on here.

AG has a good point that some of this unveiling may have been lost in translation, and that certain Iranian press or media elements have "filled in the gaps."
We see how often the media in the West can be delightfully ignorant on defence projects too.

Iran has heavy industry.
Let's take their automotive industry as an example.
They are the 13th largest automaker in the world. In 2011, the produced more cars than Great Britain. In fact, their total production in that year was roughly the same as Britain and Australia combined.
Whilst some are licence produced, there are indigineous car designs, albeit still with strong external influence/underpinnings.

I mention this in only context of apparently not even being able to build a mock-up properly.

Having a look at various accomplishments in the field of defence, they have built or assembled mini subs, frigates, tanks, armoured vehicles, missiles, ordinance, artillery, and aircraft.

All the photos of these are nowhere near as up-close as these of the Qaher 313 were. Especially from day 1.
They are quite capable of designing and/or building things, and certainly more than capable of building a decent mock-up.

So something is different here. Something is afoot.

What it is, or what is being accomplished is difficult to say.
I thought tha there has been a definite air of disinformation about it.
Earlier I said:

There is simply no way, with a moments pause for reflection, that this was going
to be pulled off.

Now, who that disinformation is aimed at is the big
guess.

Perhaps the local population?
Perhaps to the West, to
downplay another more realistic project?
Perhaps this is a crude mock-up of
something real, and is only roughly representative of this real
aircraft?
Perhaps to downplay real capabilities?
Perhaps to try and mask
the concept that the airforce isn't being funded, and that the budget goes to
ballistic missiles?

Maybe a combination of all of the above?
Who
knows.
The possibilities are endless.
This is what disinformation is, I
suppose.

But others have talked about Iranian elections looming, and this unveiling perhaps being part of that struggle.
Perhaps it has been lost in translation or twisted by the media in Iran.

All I know is that the entire way this was presented, from the detailed close up photo's of an obvious mock-up, is different from the way way things have been done in the past.

Disinformation?
Real project, but mock-up?
Internal one-upmanship before elections?

Who knows at this point.....

kaiserbill said:
2IDSGT, it is easy to keep mentioning various sites or examples of Iranian silliness, but why ignore their capabilities? Perhaps it is not useful to always wear the anti-Iranian cap so completely, and try and figure what is going on here.
It's not that hard to discern Iran's capabilities. The only things they have going for them are geography and oil politics. Their little SABA, mockup or not, isn't going to alter the situation much; and the same goes for most of their other *projects*. Mines and anti-ship missiles are what worry me; everything else they try just looks sad.

2IDSGT said:
It's not that hard to discern Iran's capabilities. The only things they have going for them are geography and oil politics. Their little SABA, mockup or not, isn't going to alter the situation much; and the same goes for most of their other *projects*. Mines and anti-ship missiles are what worry me; everything else they try just looks sad.

I am far from sold this is a SABA, a mock-up of a sub-scale demonstrator seems far more probable. Given the way in which Iranian projects come and go, get renamed, reappear years later and then vanish again I would not be at all surprised if we never see this exact configuration and designation again. I do however agree, some of Iran's various attempts at "conventional" platforms do seem rather sad, their "destroyers" being a case in point. Given their threat profile a handful of sub 30 knot corvettes with an SAM armament consisting of 4 box launched SM-1 missiles guided through what is little more than a gunfire control system seems like a liability.

???

Iran Is Desperately Defending Its Non-Flying 'Stealth Jet'

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/iran-desperately-to-defend-stealth-jet-non-flying-2013-2

On Feb. 4, a couple of days after the entire world highlighted the oddities of the first prototype of its Qaher 313 stealth fighter jet and the reasons why the F-313 will never get off the ground, the Iranian MEHR News Agency published an article to explain the aircraft’s top features. (Check out the video here)
The F-313′s top 10 features piece addresses some of the doubts surrounding the Qaher and its ability to fly and are aimed to persuade skeptics that Tehran’s new aircraft is not only airworthy, but it is also “one of the most sophisticated fighter jet in the world,” as Ahmadinejad said.
Here below you’ll find a long excerpt of the MEHR article:
The top 10 technical characteristics of the F-313 fighter jet and some of the related data on its features and appearance:

1- Using Two inlets and inlet ducts make up the air induction system to deliver air to the engine. Due to an indirect angle of the engine to the air inlets, the radar reflectivity is reduced, and it makes angled design of inlet ducts to the surface to get radar energy wave, just like in F35.
2- The hot exhaust gas mixes with cold air through the inlet ducts, and gets cooler before it gets out of the exhaust system, to reduce heat effects on the surface of the aircraft.
3- Use of radar-absorbent materials in the body, to absorb wave energy and reduce radar reflection, for greater stealth effect of Qaher F-313 fighter.
4- Considering the estimated length and height of the aircraft is less than 16 and 4 meter, the two compartments with payload capacity of carrying two 2000 pound bombs, or greater number of smaller smart guided missiles, or at least 6 air-to-air missiles in the category of R-17 or PL-12.
5- Relatively large vertical tail surface has created favorable directional stability and with canted vertical tails create aerodynamic benefits as well specific appropriate lateral maneuvering capabilities.
6- The very large canopy gives a 360 degree visibility, which is essential for low altitude fly-by flights, especially helps ground mission attacks, and it is also very useful in close dog-fights.
7- The angled wings is perfect example of indigenous design for aircrafts, which gives a side profile like M, and similar to a W profile, is the best form to use in aircrafts.
8- Single-cycle landing gear is another proof that F-313 is a light weight aircraft, with minimum flying weight of 12 to 14 ton, and maximum flying weight of 20 ton.
9- There are 8 analog displays in the cockpit, which shows Multi-Function Display (MFD) technology has more room to improve in F-313, Qaher fighter jet.
10- Considering F-313 normal steering lever, the control systems, with the wing movable surfaces, rudder, and vertical stabilizer are hydraulics, and not fly-by-wire (FBW) system, since many today’s aircraft use “side-steering lever” control.
The advance computer designing software (CATIA) were used for designing F-313, and aerodynamic analysis methods such as computational fluid dynamics (CFD) also were used, with the help of numerical grid generation software (GAMBIT), flow analysis software (FLUENT) and other design computation software, which shows a complete scientific work in various areas of indigenous scientific and technology was used for F-313.

These 10 features don’t change what already written about this odd plane. I still believe it can’t fly as it is today.
Read more:
http://www.businessinsider.com/iran-desperately-to-defend-stealth-jet-non-flying-2013-2#ixzz2KF9aSYaZ

I think we all agree that the model presented was a fibreglass mockup.

Whether the design has already been built, or may be built in the future, for real as a flying aircraft, we don't know.