Iranian Qaher-313 "indigenous fighter jet"

lancer21 said:
just propaganda. Makes you wonder how competent are the other "achievements" they talk about. They need to get rid of those ayatollahs asap, they're destroying their own country.

Sums up a lot of people's feelings on Iran pretty nicely.

It was really foolish of them to put a pilot in that cockpit, If you look at the scale of that seat it seems clear that this was never supposed to actually fit a full sized human. They outed themselves there. Without that guy in the cockpit we have to at least "guess" its size. This makes it pretty clear its all garbage. Hopefully the Iranian 231st Photoshop Brigade will see the error and shrink the pilot to fit.

iranian-missile-launch-demotivational-poster-1244326201.jpg

Having just seen the video of it "flying" I've realised what's happened. Some engineering student at university build some CAD models and a RC plane. One day he was out flying it and some big-shot saw it and said "Holy crap. Is that our new American killing super fighter I've been hearing about?" To which his aides said "Ummm, yes" and then quickly told their aides to find out who built the model and then build a full size one. Now.

On a side note I'm not sure how it's going to take off. Given the volume and therefore mass of the plane with those tiny wings and probably underpowered engine.

I hate to say it , but I like it. As others said, reminds me of an x-36, bird of prey, with some German "peoples fighter" thrown in too.

I'm not a fan of canard designs though, to me would look better with a tail far back like on the F-35. But I do like the x-36 like approach to canards.

The cockpit looks bare bones like a homebuilt or sailplane. I guess I like the tech mixed with simplicity.

Looks very small. Maybe it has no radar as some have observed here, or maybe its integrated into the rest of the airframe somewhere?

I really like the concept here. It goes against the ever spiraling cost of fighter production. If it has any kind of success in whatever role it is intended for. Would like the West to build something simpler and lower cost like this.

If it is stealthy and has no radar it might be very difficult to detect. Maybe in the fighter role would be used that way?

Seriously, Iran is always trying to find the cheapest solution, hence the low cost Wig and the speedboats. But in whatever tactic they use and it works against a carrier or other ship, it would be a success to the Iranians. This could be the aircraft equivalent of that approach.
In wartime there are examples of such unexpected or unusual tactics working.

As a side observation: did they have to find the largest Iranian in the crowd to pose as the "pilot" and squeeze the guy in there? Couldn't they have found someone shorter like Ahmadinejad himself to sit in there?

Maybe the actual "pilot" is a capture Alien, hence the small cockpit area.

Attachments

• 5941462870_340fac5777.jpg
    5941462870_340fac5777.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 45
  • xBoP left side view - 7.jpg
    xBoP left side view - 7.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 54
kcran567 said:
I hate to say it , but I like it. As others said, reminds me of an x-36, bird of prey, with some German "peoples fighter" thrown in too.

I'm not a fan of canard designs though, to me would look better with a tail far back like on the F-35. But I do like the x-36 like approach to canards.

The cockpit looks bare bones like a homebuilt or sailplane. I guess I like the tech mixed with simplicity.

Looks very small. Maybe it has no radar as some have observed here, or maybe its integrated into the rest of the airframe somewhere?

I really like the concept here. It goes against the ever spiraling cost of fighter production. If it has any kind of success in whatever role it is intended for. Would like the West to build something simpler and lower cost like this.

If it is stealthy and has no radar it might be very difficult to detect. Maybe in the fighter role would be used that way?

Seriously, Iran is always trying to find the cheapest solution, hence the low cost Wig and the speedboats. But in whatever tactic they use and it works against a carrier or other ship, it would be a success to the Iranians. This could be the aircraft equivalent of that approach.

In wartime there are examples of such unexpected or unusual tactics working.

As a side observation: did they have to find the largest Iranian in the crowd to pose as the "pilot" and squeeze the guy in there? Couldn't they have found someone shorter like Ahmadinejad himself to sit in there?

Maybe the actual "pilot" is a capture Alien, hence the small cockpit area.

Its a fake airplane, I wouldn't read too much into it.

index.php

Just look at this picture for a minute and try to see everything that is wrong and comical about it.

That picture there is Iran in a nutshell. A country that desperately refuses to grow up and join the adults. A "transparent" canopy that is opaque. A bearded man trying to look serious in an illusional control center, for a system that doesn't work. Instruments that don't show any realistic data. "Danger" must be spelled out, because there is nothing to really fear from it.

So I take it back, I guess can read a lot into it. Just not much from a tactical aviation sense. From a "are you saying i'm not man enough darling?" sense there is a lot to see.

I mean look at this:

931739_orig.jpg

If someone showed me just these two pics I would have thought it was a gag. His feet must be resting on the bottom of the fueselage!

The Iranians must be world leader in the manufacture of miniaturized AESA radars that fit in tiny noses. NO wait! it's probably a distributed aperture system, hence the smallish nose.

I don't know why you would need downturned wingtips, especially in stealth aircraft. Usually it indicates too much dihedral effect, or if they're far back enough, it helps with directional stability. But this thing is (should be) FBW and has twin tails, which should offer plenty of vertical area...so yeah, I can't think of a reason for those tips except the all-important 'bad-assedness'.

It is paper and cartboard glued to woodenframe.
Btw the idea if an inlet is to slow doen the air like in the f-22. And i don't see any vortexgenerators to mskake it really work.

Well that was certainly hilarious. Since their major legitimate aviation achievement is making an F-5 with...wait for it...TWO tails, I've stopped taking any of their claims even remotely seriously. Won't stop certain people from expounding on the glory of Iranian technology or why this means they'd actually represent a significant military threat, though. S-300 clone: fake, unless oil barrels shoot SAMs (they BUY SAMs, not SHOOT them). SA-17 clone: likely Russian made (pretty much identical to the wheeled model of the Buk-M2/3). Advanced fighter: remodeled F-5. Stealth fighter: fake, and they aren't even trying to hide it anymore. WHen it comes to military technology the rest of the world should just put Iran on ignore.

And how do all of the English-language warning labels fit in with Death to America and the end of the West? That's the real question here!

Ahhh, now that I see the cockpit photos, I see the main problem. They forgot the pedals! Not rudder pedals, the ones that make the chain rotate the main wheels to taxi it around an airfield to confuse infidels!!!

Sundog said:
Ahhh, now that I see the cockpit photos, I see the main problem. They forgot the pedals! Not rudder pedals, the ones that make the chain rotate the main wheels to taxi it around an airfield to confuse infidels!!!

Latches and other gizmos to hold the canopy down would be impressive as well. However I understand that you wouldn't accidentely want that canopy to come down and lock on some poor soul as he is being towed around the tarmac

chuck4 said:
It can not represent anything but a very crude mockup.

If they told me to build them a fictitious mockup for disinformation purposes, I would have done a vastly better job than this. This is amateur night at the propaganda fraud department.

Are you sure about that Chuck?

I think it looks great. If it were something I built, as a jet powered example, i would be pretty happy with it.

TaiidanTomcat said:
Its a fake airplane, I wouldn't read too much into it.

It might be a drone demonstrator like the Mig Skat with an optional pilot, again the Iranians are thinking outside the box here for sure.

But if its fake, and its looking that way, maybe its a ridiculous cover program for the real thing.

Attachments

• mig skat w cockpit.jpg
    mig skat w cockpit.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 341
Yepp, it is stealth, ...because it cries fiberglass all over it:). I added a picture with arrows pointing to definite slip ups of fiberglass edges( see the white inerior trim.). There is no way that such a skinny construction of fiberglass could provide rigidity for a jetfighter. The good point- they have done a job and created a new aircraft mockup. The bad things- the design is unrefined. It needs more curvatures and detail work on surfacing. it is lightyears away from , say, F-35. Also the execution is sloppy, they haven`t done proper sanding. I applaud for every new aircraft built, I applaud elbowgrease and the attempt, but had they spent more time on refining the design, and frankly admitted that it was just a mockup, I would be very pleased. For a student as a project it would be a gargantuan success, for a country- close to a failure. My 2 cents.
P.S. ( as in Post Scriptum, not as in Publicity Stunt:)- maybe I should work on that design and try to create my interpretation of it? Leave your ideas.

Attachments

• f313.17.jpg
    f313.17.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 319
kcran567 said:
I think it looks great. If it were something I built, as a jet powered example, i would be pretty happy with it.
This 'I think it looks great' or, either 'I think it looks ugly' falls into grade school age. How old are you?
kcran567 said:
It might be a drone demonstrator like the Mig Skat with an optional pilot, again the Iranians are thinking outside the box here for sure.
But if its fake, and its looking that way, maybe its a ridiculous cover program for the real thing.

It's _officially_ stated that this piece of plywood crap IS a "Qaher-313 <...> a fully indigenous aircraft designed and built by our aerospace experts. This is a radar-evading plane that can fly at low altitude, carry weapons, engage enemy aircrafts and land at short airstrips," (c)Defence Minister Ahmad Vahidi
We supposed also to believe that in-fllght footage was made of this (somehow) flying mockup and not of scale model.
Here come you starting to suggest that this is 'may be manned drone demonstrator', 'cover program' and 'outside the box' thinking.
Their thinking is well inside the box of absurd hopes that someone with basic knowledge of engineering can believe that this crap is for real.

The Defence Minister, Ahmad Vahidi, said: "Qaher is a fully indigenous aircraft designed and built by our aerospace experts.
"This is a radar-evading plane that can fly at low altitude, carry weapons, engage enemy aircrafts and land at short airstrips."
Vahidi said advanced materials were used to manufacture the body of the aircraft, making it Iran's best stealth plane.

Hasan Parvaneh, an official in charge of the project, said the physical design of the Iranian plane was unique and bore no resemblance to any foreign fighter jet.

ADVANCEDBOY said:
I applaud for every new aircraft built, I applaud elbowgrease and the attempt, but had they spent more time on refining the design, and frankly admitted that it was just a mockup, I would be very pleased. For a student as a project it would be a gargantuan success

I agree, that's why i'm not hating on it here like some are. If I built this as a student project I would be very happy with it too.

flateric said:
This 'I think it looks great' or, either 'I think it looks ugly' falls into grade school age. How old are you?

this piece of plywood crap IS a "Qaher-313 <...>
Here come you starting to suggest that this is 'may be manned drone demonstrator' and 'outside the box' thinking.
Their thinking is well inside the box of absurd hopes that someone with basic knowledge of engineering can believe that this crap is for real.

Geez Flateric, you seem annoyed to say the least. Either you got up on the wrong side of bed today or you really hate this plane. ;D

Sorry if my comment was dumb to you, but I like the way this mockup looks as much as you hate it. To me looks like features from X-36 and Bird of Prey. Except for the strange cockpit and blurry cockpit glass.

X-36 and BoP were engineering masterpieces by Phantom Works staff.
This looks like an attempt of 10 years old to build something like that with LEGO blocks.
As we use to say, it's an an attempt of Kai in Hans Christian Andersen's Snedronningen to make word ETERNITY from ice cubes using three cubes with letters A, S and S

ADVANCEDBOY said:
Yepp, it is stealth, ...because it cries fiberglass all over it:). I added a picture with arrows pointing to definite slip ups of fiberglass edges( see the white inerior trim.). There is no way that such a skinny construction of fiberglass could provide rigidity for a jetfighter. The good point- they have done a job and created a new aircraft mockup. The bad things- the design is unrefined. It needs more curvatures and detail work on surfacing. it is lightyears away from , say, F-35. Also the execution is sloppy, they haven`t done proper sanding. I applaud for every new aircraft built, I applaud elbowgrease and the attempt, but had they spent more time on refining the design, and frankly admitted that it was just a mockup, I would be very pleased. For a student as a project it would be a gargantuan success, for a country- close to a failure. My 2 cents.
P.S. ( as in Post Scriptum, not as in Publicity Stunt:)- maybe I should work on that design and try to create my interpretation of it? Leave your ideas.
Add a live-well and a couple of more seats... Then again, the workmanship does not appear to be up to bass-boat standards.

flash_header-home.jpg

flateric said:
This looks like an attempt of 10 years old to build something like that with LEGO blocks.
As we use to say, it's an an attempt of Kai in Hans Christian Andersen's Snedronningen to make word ETERNITY from ice cubes using three cubes with letters A, S and S

;D hilarious! Will you even give them some credit for the attempt? A pat on the back for the effort? You have to admit it is better that their Bavar WIG boat. But I still wouldn't mind having a Bavar to fish off of.

If there were no pics of the cockpit, and of the pilot hanging out of the plane because it is too small, I think from a distance it would have been passable.

kcran567 said:
flateric said:

;D hilarious! Will you even give them some credit for the attempt? A pat on the back for the effort?

Seeing as its an effort in deception for an aircraft that doesn't fly, I know I won't. I know I'm old fashioned but an airplane should be able to fly.

If I attach Rhomboid wings onto my car do I get credit for creating a stealth aircraft?

I would give them a break if it was a mock up and they said "Hey this is something we are working toward, this is a mock up of a future stealth aircraft"

A report that the F-35 might take longer to go transonic than hoped means "epic fail" but Iran builds this and its "hey look at them! Give em credit for a great concept"

Credit for idiotism? They'd better gave money spent for this monster to Shafagh or guys who developed these concepts - much more plausible and sound.

Attachments

• _DSC0063.jpg
    _DSC0063.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 457
  • _DSC0061-2.jpg
    _DSC0061-2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 468
flateric said:
Credit for idiotism? They'd better gave money spent for this monster to Shafagh or guys who developed these concepts - much more plausible and sound.
Maybe this mockup is a cover for the real concepts shown in the pictures. I mentioned that in a earlier post. That is speculation though.

TaiidanTomcat said:
Seeing as its an effort in deception for an aircraft that doesn't fly, I know I won't. I know I'm old fashioned but an airplane should be able to fly.

If I attach Rhomboid wings onto my car do I get credit for creating a stealth aircraft?

I would give them a break if it was a mock up and they said "Hey this is something we are working toward, this is a mock up of a future stealth aircraft"

A report that the F-35 might take longer to go transonic than hoped means "epic fail" but Iran builds this and its "hey look at them! Give em credit for a great concept"

That's great ;D . And yes there are those critics of the F-35 that went too far, but I never went that far on the F-35.
But we all can obviously see they really made a mistake putting a pilot in there. That was the most embarrassing and ridiculous photo op I've ever seen. They looked like a bunch of clowns. Instead of concern at the pentagon I can imagine laughter erupting in the halls from the ridiculousness of it. The pilot looks as if they went to the local tavern, grabbed a guy and put him in a flight suit without even a proper shave. and with him practically hanging out of the cockpit it looks like something fit for a local town parade float or carnival ride. But darn it, I still think the thing looks cool if it was done right.

It has to be Iranian disinfo to hide a real project. And its obvious.

They probably had a useful airframe already, but Ahmadinejad wanted it to be more "pointy." Hence, they had to bodge this ridiculous mockup together on short notice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtahqXjFcxU

I can just see how it went down.

Engineers: "Here is what your new stealth fighter will look like."

Ahmadinejad: "Wow, that looks badass, just like the real deal. I'll have my guy here take some nice closeups and scare the Great Satan to death."

Engineers: "Uh, he's getting kinda close. We were thinking that it might be a better to take some grainy shots from a distance.

Ahmadinejad: "Nonsense, it looks good to me. Go find me a schlub to sit in it wearing a flight-suit."

inf1kek said:

This is exactly correct. The maximum never-exceed speed on the instrument in the cockpit is 270. Assuming Knots (best case), that's 500km/h. Stall speed is 70kts. Its clearly taken off a turboprop trainer or something.

Wow, that is the exact gauge. good find.

This does have military value if they can get it into the air. It can be used on captured enemy pilots and enemy combatants to strap them in and fly them around in until they give up vital information. it could be used as a form of interrogation device.

sorry, couldn't resist.

I was going to suggest that these Iranian "theocrats" open a deviantART account for their "unveilings". Then I realized that the gist of the joke would be an insult to the integrity and ethos of that site's contributors and overall community - and that's kind of the sad point here. No matter what monkey this regime decides to parade around under what pretense, the utter public suspension of disbelief has become the one remaining unifying factor of its more or less willing subjects. No rational measure of achievement can figure into it. What a waste of of a country, its cultures, and its peoples. Not that we in the "west" are without failings, but all the moral relativism in this World won't suffice to varnish over the sheer ridiculousness of the "Qaher-313".

Project Manager Stresses Fully Indigenous Nature of Iran's Newly Unveiled Aircraft
TEHRAN (FNA)- Iran's new fighter jet which was unveiled today has been designed and manufactured fully domestically and enjoys a "unique" structure, its project manager said on Saturday.

"The fighter jet is Iranian made and all its parts, from A to Z, have been manufactured domestically," Hassan Parvaneh told Iran's state-run TV.

"Its shape and structure is completely unique and peerless," he added.

Parvaneh stated that only three world countries have the technology to manufacture such a fighter jet.

Parvaneh said that the new fighter jet, Qaher 313, is "the first Iranian jet using a front control wing, and we have never had any other plane with this specification".

He further stated that Iranian engineers at the Defense Ministry's Aviation Industries Organization augmented efforts to design and develop this aircraft after Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei in a meeting asked them to switch their focus from reverse engineering to innovative designing and crossing the borders of science and technology.

Iran unveiled a new advanced home-made aircraft, named Qaher 313, in a ceremony attended by President Ahmadinejad.

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=9107141080

As regards the newly unveiled aircraft, Ahmadinejad said that Qaher 313 is among the most advanced modern aircraft of the world.

He added that the aircraft has already gone under several thousand hours of test flight and its pilots have expressed satisfaction in its performance.

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=9107140974

Whilst to our eyes, this is a comical attempt, it's probably meant for a domestic audience. One amusing precedent springs to mind

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Ds27Oq5ot0ZI&sa=U&ei=PDIOUZfyCKjZ0QWFqoCoCQ&ved=0CG0QtwIwBA&usg=AFQjCNEMvXJ91o16u21MU4ucftT3_2jIzg

Completely off topic, but to me this whole affair is at its most instructive when considered from the view point of the Iranian leadership. Syria must loom large in their minds, both from an Arab spring perspective and from recent "undetected".... ;) Israeli excursions to destroy convoys, research facilities, whatever. There must be a drive to demonstrate to the Iranian nation (or more likely the supreme leader) that they do not lag behind in terms of technology and are therefore not as vunerable to ..."external interventions"

Let me introduce my latest achievement in the war against imperialists! I suppose that now I am only the fourth country, that is able to do this.

Attachments

• 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 367
  • 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 366
I personally think Iran should be applauded for finding a way to avoid wasting billions of dollars that Iran can't really afford.

That said - I'm somewhat unimpressed by this effort as well.

For the sake of amusement:
- If you were to scale up a design by 15%, build it out of plywood (keeping the g-limit below 2 g), give it a radar altimeter for night flying and spray the whole thing with RCS reducing paints - what would the RCS be?

If it doesn't have to turn, I think you could get away with a lot of the design problems and stay in the 5-12 million dollar range.

*edit* I don't know if you guys remember the intended roles fo the Shafagh - but what I'm talking about would be essentially similar with the maneuverability requirements relaxed.

I really don't want to offend anyone in Iran, I have the deepest respect for its culture & history but with al the "facts" so obviously on the table I am much more interested in why did they build this thing ??

If I were building a fake mockup just for propaganda I would have made it realistically bigger and would have not showed so many details which easily proof it to be a fake.

Why do they claim this to be real ??? On what absurd hopes is it based, when someone with basic knowledge of engineering actually can’t believe that this crappy thing is real ??

These “WHYs” would be most interesting to know ??

Deino

Say what you will about the "aircraft" but it has certainly created a troll-storm on youtube and similar places.
It's kinda hilarious to watch.

I would be more carefull ... why should anyone be a troll, who simply sees the truth ?? ... I agree with You that the way to tell that is often troll-like, but the fact alone .... ?

flateric said:

This is Sofre-Mahi ... it has got nothing to do with the F-313

You knew it would eventually come to this:) I decided to redesign the 313. Here is the result. It is based on the pics posted on the first page. I decided to rename it as well. it will be called F-313 Persia or Persistent. Hope you like it.

Attachments

• Persia.jpg
    Persia.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 442
Deino said:
These “WHYs” would be most interesting to know ??

You are applying common sense on the propaganda. This simply does not work. We can assume that it is sort of internal propaganda, common to all dictatorial regimes, where you do not need to explain something to the people, you just need to order them what to think (and kill everybody who does the opposite). You will be surprised, how many people do not have "basic knowledge of engineering". Even our (normally serious) news TV is broadcasting that as "Iran unveiled its latest stealth fighter" ::)

All at all, they fooled many of their own people and many stupid people here in "western" countries. Not a bad output from a piece of fiberglass.

I am not really much fan of this Design ...but i do have to tell that it is just a model (scale model) , whether is built by fiberglass or wood that i do not know ... ::)... the thing is that they gave few alternatives for each and every part , as an example if you look at the F-313 wind tunnel test scale model , its outlet its quite different from the original scale model which they built for the showing purpose (well according to me the wind tunnel test model is more stealthier in the outlet section).. the important question is that what will become of it ? Is it really going to be a future fighter/ trainer (few changes perhaps), or its fate is going to become like the Shafagh !.

AK