How to print a newspaper before 1978 - hot metal typesetting

Gosh ! Have you seen, there actually still were people, correcting errors before print !
That must have been the times, when our parents told us to read newspapers, to improve
grammar and spelling. Today, we rather have to warn of most public media with this regard .... :rolleyes:

Wow! That's a fascinating look back.

The only shop class that I took in school was Print Shop which gave an entry level exposure to all of these processes (albeit on a simpler level). But yes, I hand set type from a California Job Case, and later did hot type (but in flat form for a single-sheet press) and at the end of the semester, did cold type, layout, stripping, plate process and printing for that project (which I was quite gratified to find was still on the wall several years later).

Gosh ! Have you seen, there actually still were people, correcting errors before print !
That must have been the times, when our parents told us to read newspapers, to improve
grammar and spelling. Today, we rather have to warn of most public media with this regard .... :rolleyes:

Ah, the good ol' days, when Newspapers actually employed editors who edited and proof readers who proof read. Nowadays, the Journalists themselves are expected to do all that while being pressured by the 24/7 news cycle to produce "results" before their competitors do... The Lovecraftian Horror (Mr. Murdoch) has a lot to answer for...

Well they do have smell checker of course and wird is forever nidsirecting grammor so we have a nation or natyons relying on that now.

Well they do have smell checker of course and wird is forever nidsirecting grammor so we have a nation or natyons relying on that now.

I note that the Gruniard has improved it's spell checking enormously since the editor ceased checking it...

I was in a vocational course in high school back in the mid 70s that taught commercial art and printing. I graduated in 76 - just as the home computers were starting to come onto the market. Almost everything I learned in that two year program is now obsolete. (And much of it had quickly become so.) While screen-printing is still done, the methods I learned are today pretty much only done in the studio or hobby setting. (Does any commercial place still do pencil layouts and hand cut the masks?) Show Card Lettering - no one that I know of does that by hand anymore. Does anyone still use Veri-graph or Leroy Lettering tools while doing their engineering drawings? I think there are still some local print shops that can still set type then run the job on a platen press but that is reserved for jobs like wedding invitations and such where they want the strong visual impact of impression.

In thinking about this, I think we are still too close to the change for history's statement on the change and its full impact to be set.

And it is "its spell checking", not "it's spell checking"...

"It", the Gruinard, is possessing the "spell checking" so of course it has a possessive apostrophe. Apostrophes are perhaps one of the most argumented about pieces of grammar. Fewer people nowadays learn how to use them properly.