How may I sign up for a TBOverse HPCA account?

chimeric oncogene

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
May I ask how I can sign up to join the TBOverse forum (aka Stuart Slade's supersonic bomber site)? I can't find any means of signing up on my browser, and I think they recently locked all nonmembers out of the forum entirely, so I can't see any posts at all. All those lovely detailed Valkyrie and F-12B posts, locked away forever...

1569635747956.png

Last edited:
While the story is vaguely interesting, the basic forum membership is kind of alt-right / stormfront batshit craziness. Not surprised they locked themselves.

I'd look to see if any of it was archived via the Way back Machine.

Never heard of it, so I can't help.
Used to be pretty decent. Several current forum members here are/were members there. Haven't been there for several years myself. (Five years it looks like.) Originally went there for the Stuart Slade stuff. For example (not SS):

"...Does anyone know if there was ever a program or even a study done to deploy Spartan or Sprint in mobile form? Mike

There were a lot of studies done, mostly concentrated in the late 1950s and the late 1980s. These basically looked at two distinct classes of missiles, those intended for long-range defense and then short-range systems intended to handle leakers.

The long range missile intercept question was pretty much a null one. There are only a limited number of ballistic missile trajectories that lead from the missile sites in Russia to the target set in America. In effect, the missiles have to come through a bottleneck that was an ideal killing ground. As long as that bottleneck was covered, there wasn't much point in moving the interceptors around. However, there was the possibility of trying to hit the missiles in their initial boost phase so that the wreckage would fall on the launching country's territory giving them the porblem of cleaning it up. In its earliest incarnation, this gave rise to the possibility of installing Zeus missiles on ships. Of course, Zeus was designed to work with the Nike ground environment so that also meant installing Nike on ships and that required a dedicated ship design. By the time the mobile system (SABMIS) became available, Nike would have shifted from the mechanically-scanned arrays used in the earliest installations to phased arrays so any ship that was built with this mission in mind would have to carry those arrays. So, phased array radars compatible with both the Nike environment and the demands of sea-based deployment were designed and tested on Long Beach and Enterprise.

Nike used and controlled missiles in quite a different way from the 3-T systems used by the Navy and, while development continued, it became apparent that Nike was a better approach. It used a very fuel-efficient flight profile and it meant that a single target designator could handle multiple missions. So, in parallel with the SABMIS mission, a new Navy missile guidance environment was designed. That became Typhon. The implications of Typhon was that any ship so equipped could be used as a a missile defense ship.

Sadly, it became apparent that Zeus wasn't a good choice for this mission. Excellent weapon though it was, it was designed as an interceptor and it didn't have the kinetics for a tail-chase intercept. A much faster-accelerating missile was needed and that started a chain of thought that led to Sprint and Hibex. In the meantime, SABMIS died off for the time being. Typhon was killed by McNamara but evolved in AEGIS - that's why AEGIS is a capable ABM system, its descended directly from Nike. Instead of building new missiles, a lot of the newly-developed technology was fed into the 3-T program and that led to Standard (because the missile could - in theory - work with both Nike and the existing Navy systems as well as the now-defunct Typhon and the coming AEGIS)

SABMIS came back in the 1980s for much the same reasons as it had evolved in the late 1950s and most of the 1980s effort was reinventing the wheel. One of the things that had changed was that developments in electronics and the fleet-wide availability of AEGIS meant that a lot more ships could carry an ABM-capable missile. A nuclear-tipped Standard-ER was actually developed with this application in mind. By that time, the target mission had changed to protection theater weapons and its more or less stuck there. The AEGIS ships remain very capable of a mobile ABM mission.

The other mission is defense against leakers. This does have a viable mobile role since the missiles would be deployed around primary targets. As a nuclearw ar developed, some of the primaries protected by these missiles would be out of danger, others would be destroyed, more wtill would be in increased danger so it made a lot of sense to have the point defense missiles mobile so they could be redeployed to match inbound threats. The idea was that the batteries would be mobile but the surveilalnce and target acquisition radars would be static with the information relayed to the batteries by datalink. This is quite viable and doable. LOADS was one effort at that; land-based Standard-ER missiles has been another. One proposal was a train that had what looked like a single-faced AEGIS system combined with silos for Standard-ERs. That's still an option if people are prepared to put up the money. "

Last edited:
TBOverse has had closed membership for years and years.

You're not missing much. I'm pretty sure the high comedy of Slade's sockpuppet - the Desert Eagle-packing female Thai general who typed in a stereotypical Asian accent and had a huge crush on Stuart Slade - has been deleted.