Here’s everything Apple just announced: Vision Pro headset, iOS 17, the 15-inch MacBook Air and more

I’ll copy across what I said in the other thread.

I am old enough to remember when decades ago that VR devices were declared as the next big thing in computing. Here we are years later and they are no more compelling a prospect now than they were then. But congratulations to Apple jumping on the bandwagon.

On an investment site, I read that VR devices like this are "a solution looking for a problem." Investors are skeptical, and even if I had the money, there is nothing this device can do that is attractive to me, along with the idea of wearing goggles for an extended period of time.

there is nothing this device can do that is attractive to me,
Consider the possibility that you are not the target audience. I have no interest in My Little Pony, the CW shows, Instagram or Only Fans, but here we are, a world where those things make buckets of money.

*Someone* will go gaga for AR goggles. Maybe not now, maybe not *these,* but someday, when the form factor isn't so goofy. Normal-looking glasses or sunglasses that give you a heads-up display full of info, such as instant face recognition of everyone you meet? A lot of people will love that, at the same time a lot of other people will go apoplectic about the privacy concerns. Hell, the ChiComs might make the damn things *mandatory.*

there is nothing this device can do that is attractive to me,
Consider the possibility that you are not the target audience. I have no interest in My Little Pony, the CW shows, Instagram or Only Fans, but here we are, a world where those things make buckets of money.

*Someone* will go gaga for AR goggles. Maybe not now, maybe not *these,* but someday, when the form factor isn't so goofy. Normal-looking glasses or sunglasses that give you a heads-up display full of info, such as instant face recognition of everyone you meet? A lot of people will love that, at the same time a lot of other people will go apoplectic about the privacy concerns. Hell, the ChiComs might make the damn things *mandatory.*

Hey, if they made something like the Iron Man interior helmet display, I might consider it. However, other applications for the Apple device include cloud-based data transfer of specialized images to the user. I've seen a few prototypes of what look like ordinary glasses. I don't want instant face recognition. That would be creepy and illegal - for civilians.

Yeah, yeah, buckets of money. If I became one of the idle rich (income of 1 million or more a year), I would still go to work and do the other things I do now.

I don't want instant face recognition. That would be creepy and illegal - for civilians.

Then the government should ban it, like drugs, prostitution and criminal use of guns. Then like those things, it'd never happen.

Facial recognition for all is probably inevitable. In some ways, also desirable: when you look at a crowd of people on a bus or on the street, and some of them are flashing red because they have a history of theft or violence, you know to avoid them. A customer comes in your store and the Convicted Shoplifter sign floats above their head, you know to have the OCP drone follow them. When someone comes in for a job interview and they are insta-recognized as having once been involved in Mostly Peaceful Yet Rather Arsony Protests, you know to pretend like you're giving them a shot while you scratch 'em off the list.