Henschel PJ600 aka P.136

Flitzer

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi
I remember reading somewhere the Hs PJ600 was designed for both land and ship launch.
Can anyone enlarge on this please?

In the meantime I've started a marine camo scheme...please ignore the hook ::)

Many thanks
P :)

Attachments

• 2HsP600JPROF.jpg
    2HsP600JPROF.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 703
Re: Henschel PJ600

It's mentioned by Novarra as "P.600", but with very few info. I once read about plans to launch fighters
like the Bachem Natter from small ships, either at the coast or from inland waters in order to make them
more mobile and for the ability to concentrate them. Maybe that's the kind of ship borne use, which was
intended for the P.600, too ? Don't know if there really were such projects, but at the end of the war, I
cannot think, that there were still considerations of true carrier aircraft, as the German Navy was limited then to
UBoats and ships not larger then destroyers due to the "Führerbefehl" (Fuehrer's order) from 1943.
Pulse-jet powered as the P.600 would have been, launching it via catapult from a ship would of course have
been possible, but I think the hook really would have been useless. ;)

Jemiba said:
It's mentioned by Novarra as "P.600", but with very few info. I once read about plans to launch fighters
like the Bachem Natter from small ships, either at the coast or from inland waters in order to make them
more mobile and for the ability to concentrate them. Maybe that's the kind of ship borne use, which was
intended for the P.600, too ? Don't know if there really were such projects, but at the end of the war, I
cannot think, that there were still considerations of true carrier aircraft, as the German Navy was limited then to
UBoats and ships not larger then destroyers due to the "Führerbefehl" (Fuehrer's order) from 1943.
Pulse-jet powered as the P.600 would have been, launching it via catapult from a ship would of course have
been possible, but I think the hook really would have been useless. ;)

Thanks Jens....thats why I asked for the hook to be ignored... ;) .
I took the PJ600/67 title from Igor's site, or part of it.
In Manfred Griehl's Volume 1, Jet planes of the Third Reich- The Secret Projects its named as the P 87 Canard which I think is in error.

I did read that most data/info was captured by Russian forces.

P :D

Must apoligise, even in the newer edition of Novarras "Die Deutsche Luftrüstung 1933 - 45" it's designated as Hs. PJ/600/67,
so you were right from the start, it was only the supplement to the old edition given it as just "P.600". It's said, that it is not clear,
wether this type was actually tested in the wind tunnel, my guess is, that the designation is indeed a drawing number, not really
a type/project number. The P.87 is given as a DB 610 powered, prop driven fast bomber project, using the same aerodymical
layout.

No,

as I spoke before about this design,it was P.67.

Beautiful design and outstanding artwork, as usual!

The designation "Pj 600" doesn't sound too logical indeed. "P.67" and "P.87" sound more logical.
As P.75 was a pusher fighter with coaxial propellers, it would be logical for this project to carry a higher number, hence "P.87" sounds good enough... but of course we can only speculate at this stage.

IF we believe in the sources, we have (with the always advisable scepticism, as there certainly was a lot of
copying to and fro ..) the P.87 was a much larger bomber project and if I hasn't missed something, there is
no P.67 mentioned, at least not by Griehl or Novarra and so not in Luft'46. Tried to figure out, what the
short from "PJ" could stand for, or if it was used elsewhere, but still to no avail. "P" for projetc, but I have no
idea, what "J" reasonably could stand for. Nevertheless, what seems to be the universally used designation for
this type, "P.J.600/67" still makes me think, that it principally designates the drawing or maybe the windtunnel
model, not the type itself.

Perhaps good news, bought Manfred Griehls book "Henschel Flugzeuge seit 1933" (Henschel Aircraft since 1933)
today, and this aircraft is there mentioned, too, as P.136. This designation at least sounds more plausible to me,
than "PJ 600", so I arbitrarily included it in the title.

Attachments

• Henschel_Hs-P-136_01.jpg
    Henschel_Hs-P-136_01.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 316
Hi Jens,

which other Henschel projects does that book include?

The P 54, P 87, P 122, P 135 and P 136. Maybe interesting, too, are photos of the windtunnel models
of the Hs 130C-0 and C-1 and of the HS 132.