Heineken Has World's First Virtual Beer ... WTH Is a Virtual Beer?

Virtual beer ? I just can beer the thought (muhahaha, baduum, tssss !)

So the old adage "you can't buy beer but only rent it" doesn't really hold (water, ha!) any longer. How about "you can't drink beer anymore but are welcome to stare at the bottom of the glass"?

On the theme of contemplation, what I'm left wondering is whether it is possible to come up with these ideas while sober? A scary thought; or perhaps the imposed sobriety of superficial rationality is robbing society of its imaginative capabilities, a drought (pun intended) of ideas disembodied in virtual beer. There are theories that agriculture (at least as far as grains go) started as people were innovating easier methods to brew alcoholic drinks. This is simplistic of course and I'm more prone to believe in processes of human-nature co-domestication than singular explanatory stories.

Worrying though. An avatar can certainly be made to simulate some aspects of inebriation (visual and motor functions can easily be blurred) but on the other hand this is very much instructive of the limits of virtually embodied being. I've heard anecdotes of people experiencing drunkenness on account of having consumed something they presumed to have alcohol content but a placebo (or is it rather a nocebo) effect doesn't seem to apply here. On a serious note, humanity and its potential could as well be diminished as augmented by virtual "realities"; we underestimate the richness of experience in trying to emulate it, or risk a dilute experience in trying to distill its essence.

This, in my humble opinion, exemplifies that there are no stupid or banal questions when considering the very modes of our being.

What's the fuss? Not much different from James Bond accepting a bottle of Heineken instead of a dry Martini. In Skyfall. And in SPECTRE. Just another way of advertising. Or product placement, to use advertising language.

Just another way of advertising.

Well, they claim it's supposed to drive people to enjoying the real thing. I'm not entirely convinced though as, while Heineken may conceive themselves to be engaged in a stunt, the poindexters pushing these alternate realities are far more serious in actually replacing functions. In a temporal sense at least, the potential losses are irrecoverable.

I don't get it.. People such as myself on various chat rooms, messaging platforms & even IRC have been enjoying virual beer for decades already.. Oh look, here's a vast tray of cool frothy ones now.. Help yourselves, everyone, they're on me.. Cheers!

As with many things Star Trek has a lot to answer for.
Until ST holograms were simply three dimensional light shows. By suggesting that holograms could take physical tangible form and interact with characters in the series ST opened up a whole new potential avenue for Meta and co.
For those who have not bothered watching, a holographic suite creates people and places as solid as anything outside. Beer can be drunk and food eaten.

For those who have not bothered watching, a holographic suite creates people and places as solid as anything outside. Beer can be drunk and food eaten.
Food and drink created on holodecks are *real* food and drink, manufactured via replicators built into the holodecks.

No they are not. They are fiction. Trust me. Hat, coat...

For Heineken it is only consequent. Many big breweries replace “taste” with marketing. They prefer absolutely boring tasting beer without any specific taste, so that no one feels disturb and create a brand around it by commercials and the style of the bottle. Heineken is a forerunner with that approach, their beer is already close to taste free and a virtual beer is the total triumph of the advertisers over the brewers.

Strange planet

Say goodbye Hal

Last edited:
Virtual

Attachments

• 755b0a1c425cb2be238a240e21366cd9.jpg
    755b0a1c425cb2be238a240e21366cd9.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Snoopy_soñando.png
    Snoopy_soñando.png
    12 KB · Views: 3
  • BeBts6wIAAAwQZK.jpg
    BeBts6wIAAAwQZK.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 3
BUDD: We produce a tasteless light beer promoted by person of unidentifiable gender

HEINKE: Houd mijn bier even vast...