Guess the German WW2 secret project

newsdeskdan

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone guess who was behind this (genuine) German secret project (see image below)? I'll give you a clue: it's dated January 17, 1941.

Apologies for the poorly stitched-together scans - I'm no artist. There are two other drawings very similar to this one and a full report. The main point of it, as a heavy fighter, was to improve pilot visibility.

Project.jpg

My dear Dan,

I think it was from Focke-Wulf P.222 series ?.

Goodness gracious! Arado. No, wait--can I guess more than once? ::)

I'd be tempted to guess Dornier (the tail fins look reminiscent of Do-17/217 style).

That pusher propeller reminds me of a (1930s) prototype, single-engined flying boat built by Dornier.

The cockpit canopy reminds DS us of a Heinkel Uhu night-fighter.

That large canopy increases lateral area forward of the aerodynamic centre (destabilizing about the yaw axis. Those tiny vertical fins combined with the short tail moment arm contribute little to yaw stability. If it ever flew, that airplane would suffer poor directional stability.

Did I say Henschel? Obviously a mispronunciation...I really said Heinkel... ;)...

That aside, it is quite an attractive design. Do you have any further details?

Would make quite an attractive sports plane today...maybe with just one or at most two people on it.

There is a full report with engine and armament details - with several other drawings including a comparison of the sight lines from the cockpit of a Bf 109 and the S.8. It is an interesting design considering it's from 1940/41. Would have been rubbish in a fight though - even if it was stable that massive canopy would have been smashed by debris in no time.

Thank you my dear Dan,

and you said it was a glider concept,but what was in its rear fuselage ?,at first
I thought that was a rocket engine ?.

hesham said:
Thank you my dear Dan,

and you said it was a glider concept,but what was in its rear fuselage ?,at first
I thought that was a rocket engine ?.

I was probably a little unclear. Franz Swaty designed and built gliders when he was a student in Vienna during the late 1930s (Google 'Swaty Kandidat'). Then once he had qualified as an engineer he got a job working on wind tunnel testing for the DVL in Berlin. Late in the war and afterwards he seems to be back in Vienna. Maybe Heinkel gave him a job after buying his design concept? That is only a guess.

The Heinkel S.8 was a pusher prop aircraft.