FrankenSAM Project

It may also be possible that the A-50 was downed by using a modified version of Patriot or S-300 then. I remember seeing a tweet which supposedly quoted a high ranking Ukrainian Airforce official who said that "locally made technology" was "responsible for the downing". What that's supposed to mean is anyone's guess and I have not seen any evidence to confirm or deny these claims; the Ukrainians remain tight lipped and the Russians don't really wish to comment it seems.

Except that PAC-2 does not have an active seeker. It's semi-active with TVM, so the Patriot battery radar HAS to go active in the endgame or the missile can't guide. And it probably has to send periodic updates or the missile is going to be dumb. But if Patriot is only using the comms built into the radar and not an actual tracking signal until late, it potentially doesn't look like a Patriot engagement on ESM until it's too late to do anything about it.
I wonder whether it's possible that the Ukrainians could have fired a Patriot in the general direction of the A-50 before illuminating it in the final phase of its flight and getting it near enough to destroy it. It's a long shot, but theoretically it seems possible. Whether it could be done in practice is entirely different altogether.

I also find it rather interesting that we have yet to see any of these FrankenSAMs made public, as it seems that their usage is going to become a lot more common as Soviet missile stocks in Ukraine dwindle. It's interesting that we are yet to see any Kubs rolling around with Sparrows or trucks with modified Sidewinder launchers.

I also find it rather interesting that we have yet to see any of these FrankenSAMs made public, as it seems that their usage is going to become a lot more common as Soviet missile stocks in Ukraine dwindle. It's interesting that we are yet to see any Kubs rolling around with Sparrows or trucks with modified Sidewinder launchers.

Ukraine has excellent OPSEC when it comes to this sort of equipment. Possibly aided by this gear not being as widespread as they would like the Russians to think.

Needs to be noted that the Patriot does have the ability to fire a missile preloaded with guidence data much like the Aegis does.

Even for the TVM mode it does not need to guided it the entire way. It does not need constant guidance updates.

Just the terminals approach.

So if tge Russian pulled what the USAF did in the 90s with flying in a regular course?

Fire the missile, wait a moment for it, and just flash the planes once you think its in the basket.

All the matter of timing it probably.

And its simple US high school math.

Needs to be noted that the Patriot does have the ability to fire a missile preloaded with guidence data much like the Aegis does.

Even for the TVM mode it does not need to guided it the entire way. It does not need constant guidance updates.

Just the terminals approach.

So if tge Russian pulled what the USAF did in the 90s with flying in a regular course?

Fire the missile, wait a moment for it, and just flash the planes once you think its in the basket.

All the matter of timing it probably.

And its simple US high school math.
Hell, it's probably a built in fire mode on the Patriots already, just not one with a lot of use normally.

I just stumbled across this YT video showing daylight footage of the ground-launched ASRAAM in Ukraine:

Earlier this week, 8 February, the first clear footage of the UK developed and supplied AIM-132 ASRAAM-based air defence system appeared. In this video we take a look at the system and the available evidence of its use.
Be sure to check out our accompanying article for this video here - https://armourersbench.com/2024/02/09...