Fernando Pereira da Silva's Portuguese shipbuilding program of 1911. Personal assumptions about the images and characteristics of warships.

Regg

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
For lovers of alternative (non-existent) ship options, I propose a battleship project for the Portuguese Navy at the beginning of the 20th century. My project is based on the real idea of building a battleship under the Fernando Pereira da Silva program of 1911 with a displacement of 22,500 tons.
(attach 1)

Contemporaries of those years offered several options as the basis for the future Portuguese battleship. Some proposed to take as a basis the project of the British battleship "ORION" (22500 tons), others proposed the project of the improved Brazilian battleship "MINAS GERAIS" (20000 tons). The most ambitious proposal was to build a battleship of the "QUEEN ELIZABETH" type (27,000 tons)!!!

plano Fernando Pereira da Silva 1911..jpg (attach 2)

In turn, living in the 21st century, I would like to propose a more realistic design for a battleship with a displacement of about 20,000 tons, armed with eight 305-mm guns in four turrets.
In my opinion, this would be the best option for the Portuguese fleet.

This battleship would have been stronger than the Spanish battleship "ESPAÑA" because all her gun turrets could turn to one side: eight guns against six. Auxiliary artillery is also stronger: 120 mm versus 101.6 mm. Finally, it has thicker belt armor - 229mm versus 203mm.

I named them after the great Portuguese navigators: "FERNÃO DE MAGALHÃES" and "FRANCISCO DE ALMEIDA".
(attach 3)

Attachments

• plano FPS 1911.jpg
    plano FPS 1911.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 52
  • SP_FERNÃO DE MAGALHÃES_FRANCISCO DE ALMEIDA_VM&SB.png
    SP_FERNÃO DE MAGALHÃES_FRANCISCO DE ALMEIDA_VM&SB.png
    507 KB · Views: 45
According to my legend, the battleships "FERNÃO DE MAGALHÃES" and "FRANCISCO DE ALMEIDA" were built in England. Laid down in 1912 and 1913. Joining the Portuguese Navy was planned for 1915 and 1916, respectively. During the Great War (1914-1918) construction was suspended. After WWI, Portugal demanded that their battleships be completed. "FERNÃO DE MAGALHÃES" joined the Portuguese Navy in 1921, and "FRANCISCO DE ALMEIDA" in 1923. They had a long cruising range, as they were intended not only for operations in the waters of the metropolis and trips to the Azores and Madeira, but also for colonial service in Macau (China).
According to WWI experience, the number of anti-aircraft guns has been significantly increased.

As they say: time passes, but water runs.
In the future, to match the times, the Portuguese battleships could be upgraded. For example, they could improve the fire control system.

Attachments

• SP_1932-1939_FRANCISCO DE ALMEIDA_VM&SB.png
    SP_1932-1939_FRANCISCO DE ALMEIDA_VM&SB.png
    730.1 KB · Views: 49
I decided to rename the topic because the Fernando Pereira da Silva 1911 program included not only battleships (COURAÇADO), but also cruisers (CRUZADORES) and destroyers (CONTRA-TORPEDEIROS).
Fanáticos de estos temas alternativos, únanse!

Cruisers 4500 tons.
In my opinion, a contender for the role of the “Portuguese cruiser” of the 1911 Program could be the British light cruiser Arethusa. This type of cruiser could have interested the Portuguese admirals with its relatively small displacement (with strong armament), speed and armor belt. It was because of the presence of an armored belt that W. Churchill in March 1913 named this type: light armored cruisers
Naturally, to achieve a displacement of 4500 tons, this project had to be slightly modified. First of all, I increased the body length to 129 pp/137 oa m (by 4 m or 13' 1.5") and the width to 12.25 m (by 0.356 m or 14"). At the same time, the draft increased slightly. The thickness of the armor remains the same.

The armament was to consist of III - 6"/45 mm, IV - 4"/45 mm installations and II - 3"/45 AA guns.
Since, according to my legend, it would not have been possible to complete these cruisers during the First World War, their completion took place after it. Hence some changes in the number and placement of 6" guns, as well as the presence of a large number of AA guns.
The appearance of one of these cruisers ("Almirante Reis") is presented for 1923-1924.

Attachments

• Altportug_AlmReis_royalist-ADsh_on SP.png
    Altportug_AlmReis_royalist-ADsh_on SP.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
Hi all!
I present my next drawing on the topic: “What would the ships of the Portuguese naval program of 1911 (Pereira da Silva program) look like?”
Today I want to show you my vision of the destroyer (Contra-Torpedeiro) project.
You noticed that this project slightly does not meet the requirements of the Program. The program indicated that the destroyers' displacement was to be 750 tons. However, I specifically “increased” this parameter so that they could resist the Spanish Alsedo-class destroyers (1200 t, 3-4", 2x2-21").

Attachments

• СТ_ANTUÃ-1925_FPdS-1911_2560.png
    СТ_ANTUÃ-1925_FPdS-1911_2560.png
    480.7 KB · Views: 26
  • plano Fernando Pereira da Silva 1911 с отмет.jpg
    plano Fernando Pereira da Silva 1911 с отмет.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
This could get more attention under the "Alternative History and Future Speculation" section, instead of on the current section. Also good job on these projects, I can tell they mean a lot to you.

This could get more attention under the "Alternative History and Future Speculation" section...
I think that for the section “Alternative History and Future Speculation”, presenting just one drawing (with a small commentary) is too little. To do this, you need to think through and write a whole story (alternative).

Hi all!
I present my next drawing on the topic: “What would the ships of the Portuguese naval program of 1911 (Pereira da Silva program) look like?”
Today I want to show you my vision of the destroyer (Contra-Torpedeiro) project.
You noticed that this project slightly does not meet the requirements of the Program. The program indicated that the destroyers' displacement was to be 750 tons. However, I specifically “increased” this parameter so that they could resist the Spanish Alsedo-class destroyers (1200 t, 3-4", 2x2-21").
Hmm. When these ships would have been built in your timeline? Superfiring guns on destroyers would appear only in the later half of WWI(on one of the later British destroyer leaders), if I recall correctly).

Hmm. When these ships would have been built in your timeline?
Correct question!
I completely forgot to point out that all these ships were laid down before the First World War, but due to a lack of finance and the busyness of British shipyards with their own orders, they were completed according to modified designs already in the post-war period - 1923-1925.