F-35 video

Jemiba said:
Split from the NEWS ONLY thread, as was pointed to the fact, that ther are
actually NO news !

I thought it would be news to some all the F-35's didn't explode in mid-air. ;D

God help us. This will become the F-35 No Holds Barred thread v2.0.

Yes, there's no kidding with the term "F-35" ! ;D Not at all ....

Did anybody wonder too, why they either play rock or techno music to fighter aircraft in videos?

Reaper said:
Did anybody wonder too, why they either play rock or techno music to fighter aircraft in videos?

I have a feeling that every military video, even from a contractor, has some basis in being a 'recruitment' video for men aged 18 to 35 IMHO.

bobbymike said:
Reaper said:

I have a feeling that every military video, even from a contractor, has some basis in being a 'recruitment' video for men aged 18 to 35 IMHO.

Or they just picked a random piece of music from the list of generic free music that wouldn't get them copyright strikes. Saves the effort of having to license music.

Vid notable for conservative flight regime evolutions, no high-G flick-type stuff evident, what is current G-clearance limit?

J.A.W. said:
Vid notable for conservative flight regime evolutions, no high-G flick-type stuff evident, what is current G-clearance limit?

Clearly they were worried the wings would break off. ::)

J.A.W. said:

I believe the integrated test team does not have limits any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWji8AcOYGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfWHHuLILs0

bring_it_on said:
J.A.W. said:

Surely you cannot be serious.. ..or no wonder worries about wings breaking off were mentioned..

Or is it a computerised fly-by-wire feature that prevents pilot inputs exceeding the pre-set G-thresholds?

J.A.W. said:
bring_it_on said:
J.A.W. said:

Surely you cannot be serious.. ..or no wonder worries about wings breaking off were mentioned..

Or is it a computerised fly-by-wire feature that prevents pilot inputs exceeding the pre-set G-thresholds?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but from what several people on f-16.net involved in the F-16 and F-22*, it would seem like AOA and g limits are hard coded with no override on those aircraft. It's likely that the F-35 would also be like this.

*I believe Dozer once said that there's no g limit override.

RadicalDisconnect said:
J.A.W. said:
bring_it_on said:
J.A.W. said:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but from what several people on f-16.net involved in the F-16 and F-22*, it would seem like AOA and g limits are hard coded with no override on those aircraft. It's likely that the F-35 would also be like this.

*I believe Dozer once said that there's no g limit override.
'

So, is it known what the F-35 G-limit range really is?
Since the vid demonstrators sure aint pushing that part of the performance envelope, it would seem.

All I could find was this (with reference to expanding the high G envelope)

Loads testing involves putting the aircraft in highly dynamic conditions to measure the stresses on the airframe and on other components. The tests verify the structural integrity of the F-35 in all flight regimes. Most of the loads testing has been flown on AF-2. US Air Force test pilot Lt. Col. Brent Reinhardt, who has been at the ITF since June 2012, has flown many of these missions.

“Loads missions can be physically demanding,” he said. “Some test points are hard to hit. I am diving at the ground at sixty degrees, doing Mach-one-point-whatever, and pulling 5.6 g’s while doing a roll—all this maneuvering just so we can hit a loads point at given speed and altitude conditions. Depending on the point, a lot of the runs start at Mach 1.3 and at altitudes nearing 50,000 feet. During the rolls, I increase the g’s so the flight test engineers on the ground can determine if we are overstressing any part of the airplane.”

Jennifer Schleifer is one of the flight test engineers who monitors and measures the loads on the aircraft during these test missions. Assigned to AF-2, she arrived at Edwards with the aircraft in May 2010. “We are flying on the edges of the structural envelope,” she explained, “and we have to make sure the airplane does not cross an edge. We spend a lot of time in the control room making sure that we won’t exceed structural limits.”

“We’re flying at Mach 1.6 and at more than seven g’s,” added Reinhardt. In a lot of the loads tests, pilots perform rolling maneuvers at a particular g. “Once we clear out a portion of the envelope at that g, we move to a higher g and repeat the testing process. We are shooting for a continuous g roll for 360 degrees through a certain block of altitude.

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/f35_article.html?item_id=117

sferrin said:
J.A.W. said:
Cool , thanks for that Bio.

The A has already cleared +9/-3 ::)

This was my mistake. I had read this article yesterday (key pub) but had totally forgot about it :-[

AF-2 is the 'Pull G's jet.' It was the first aircraft to hit plus-nine-G and negative-three-G and to roll at design-load factor. In addition, AF-2 is the first F-35A to intentionally fly in significant airframe buffet at all angles of attack," said Thompson.

http://www.edwards.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123414865

bring_it_on said:
sferrin said:
J.A.W. said:
Cool , thanks for that Bio.

The A has already cleared +9/-3 ::)

This was my mistake. I had read this article yesterday (key pub) but had totally forgot about it :-[

Wasn't directed at you. And I deleted the post anyway because upon further reflection I'm not sure the operation fleet has been cleared for that, I just know that's what they've expanded the envelope to in testing.

RadicalDisconnect said:
Or they just picked a random piece of music from the list of generic free music that wouldn't get them copyright strikes. Saves the effort of having to license music.

More likely they selected the music from the music service they each (the companies and the military) subscribe to. There are companies that produce "original" music that sounds like something you've heard, as well as doing original mood pieces, for production companies to use. And this explains why some documentaries and promotional shows vanish and never make it to home video. The production company/network drops a subscription on one service and moves to another. That means they no longer have rights to the music used in those earlier productions so those productions become in-house archival use only material. I was told by someone in the Prologue Room at Boeing St. Louis that they have a DVD they'd love to send a copy of our way (the Museum), but they can't because they can't use that music any more. I suggested burning a copy without the music - or without audio all together. Nothing on that yet.