De Gaulle becomes Pro US

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Supposing De Gaulle had had a different attitude to Washington in the early 1960s, and US bases had stayed in France.
The US would certainly have offered France its own version of the Nassau Agreement, perhaps called the Fontainebleau treaty after the HQ in France.
The US for its part might have looked more favourably on procuring French designed weapons.
Would France have secured US missiles to counter the Soviet SS20s? French Pershing 2 anyone?

This might work in a wider environment where say, the Mirage III beats the F104 and the US brings France into the same relationship as the UK......perhaps even a tripartite arrangement on nuclear weapons?

Perhaps the US allows the UK and France to have their way with the Suez so things don’t sour out later?

Suez opened AW proliferation, France, later Israel, as neither was confident to shelter under Auntie Sam's AW umbrella.
JFK did offer CDG a Nassau deal, which he declined as eroding his sovereign options. CDG was the first Statesman to commit to be by US' side at Cuba 10/62. D.Acheson started to open his briefcase to show the USN recce images and was shushed: "JFK's word is enough". All for one, one for all. Some of CDG's postures were for domestic consumption. If only... UK/US could have empathised with his home problems (Algeria, Reds...) and given him some slack... He was very...prickly and defensive of La Gloire. Well, we understand that.

"... when Hell freeze over" LMAO.

More seriously: had F.D Roosevelt not been such a dick toward the Free French during WWII (note I did not said De Gaulle in particular) it may have helped.
Including not dealing with a Vichy France that had (among many more serious horrors and shames, such as graciously handling 80 000 jews to the nazis on a silver plate) trialed De Gaulle in absencia to a death penalty if they ever caught him (they did not).

De Gaule surely was a jerk too often, but you can imagine his feelings when he heard FDR gave some consideration (even limited) to Vichy France.

And a good punchline, in passing... When De Gaulle heard of Yalta conference (he had not been invited) he said, in rage "Those three kl,fleljljllf Churchill, Staline and FDR: I will outlive them and bury them all !"
And surely he did, the old fart...
-F.D.R, R.I.P April 1945
-Stalin, R.I.H (Requiescat In... Hell) March 1953
-Churchill resisted longer, but kicked the bucket in 1965 and now D.G could pass away, too, in 1970...

Back
Top Bottom