DARPA/ONR Tactically Exploited Reconnaissance Node (TERN) UAS

money and a new DARPA Director who had other priorities.

Wonder why nobody went back to the XF5U/V-173 "Flying Flapjack" design for this. While I don't think it could ever take off vertically, I'm pretty sure it could take off with ~30knots wind over the deck. Just time the takeoff for when the ship turns to put the wind about 30deg off the direction of motion. I know it could hang off the props for a vertical landing, or do a super STOL landing with maybe 50ft forward roll.

Single T700 or so class engine (~2500hp), Currie Industries 9" ring and pinion with 2.73:1 gear reduction to turn 6000rpm at the engine to 2200rpm at the drive shafts, H53 90deg tail rotor drive gearbox.

I know it could hang off the props for a vertical landing,

While this was indeed the aim, as far as I know, this was never demonstrated with the V-173, I assume due to lack of power, and of course, the XF5U prototype never flew . . .

cheers,
Robin.

While this was indeed the aim, as far as I know, this was never demonstrated with the V-173, I assume due to lack of power, and of course, the XF5U prototype never flew . . .

cheers,
Robin.
RC models did.

From AVX homepage:

Attachments

• IMG_9927.png
    IMG_9927.png
    247.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9928.png
    IMG_9928.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9929.png
    IMG_9929.png
    422.2 KB · Views: 32
I did not realize they had gotten that far with a prototype. To bad it did not get into the air.

Back
Top Bottom