Clarification wanted regarding Spitfire marks IV, 12, XX, 23.

pathology_doc

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
My understanding is this:

Spitfire Mk IV (Griffon) = Mark III airframe (which did not see series production) adapted to Single-stage Two-speed Griffon. Single prototype, DP845.

Spitfire Mk XX - DP845 re-labelled to free up the Mark number for PR variants descended from Mk I/II/V lineage.

Spitfire Mk XII - Mark V airframe adapted to basically the same engine as the IV. Production variant.

However, somewhere I vaguely remember - or perhaps misremember - reading something about the Mk XX being intended as a single-stage, two-speed variant of the Mk21, i.e. with the newer wing having the higher aileron-reversal speed. However, the Griffon 60-series was maturing at a sufficient rate that there was felt to be no sense in putting single-stage Griffons into airframes containing the new wing.

IIRC the Mk 23 was supposed to be a Mk 21 with the wing section altered to a non-laminar-flow (non-Spiteful) wing intended to give better high speed/high Mach number performance. IIRC the wing design was test flown but never proceeded with as a production variant, but I cannot find performance data.