Chinese STOL projects: "701" transport, "751" fighter, ZM-01 research aircraft

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
While browsing the web I came across this very interesting page of unbuilt Chinese projects:
http://top81.jschina.com.cn/top81bbs/thread.php?cid=1&rootid=2840112&id=2840112

It depicts in particular what is called in the article the Northwestern University Aviation Museum's canard STOL "Three Musketeers":
  • the « 701 » passenger transport (called the "Yan'an"),
  • the ZM-01 research aircraft,
  • the « 751 » fighter.
All three appear in model form, but the « 751 » is given special CG treatment. It would seem from some of the photos that the ZM-01 was actually flown, which suggests it is an R/C model.

Finally, another project, the "LFC-16 fighter program", is also mentioned. All four projects seem to date back to the 1974-1975 period.

Some experts on Chinese aviation will probably know a lot more about these projects, but I did not find them using the forum's search engine. Of course, if they appear elsewhere, please may a moderator merge the topics. Thanks!

Attachments

• m751_01.jpg
    m751_01.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,143
  • m751_08.jpg
    m751_08.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 320
  • m751_07.jpg
    m751_07.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 301
  • m751_06.jpg
    m751_06.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 320
  • m751_05.jpg
    m751_05.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,057
  • m751_04.jpg
    m751_04.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,067
  • m751_03.jpg
    m751_03.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,063
  • m751_02.jpg
    m751_02.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,129
Very interesting. The canard layout suggests influence by the Viggen. I wonder how the STOL issue was approached here: a separate lift engine, in the style of, e.g. MiG-23PD? At any rate, looks like the Chinese affair with the canard configuration is a few-decades old.

Stargazer2006 said:
... All three appear in model form, but the « 751 » is given special CG treatment. It would seem from some of the photos that the ZM-01 was actually flown, which suggests it is an R/C model.

Finally, another project, the "LFC-16 fighter program", is also mentioned. All four projects seem to date back to the 1974-1975 period.

Some experts on Chinese aviation will probably know a lot more about these projects, but I did not find them using the forum's search engine. Of course, if they appear elsewhere, please may a moderator merge the topics. Thanks!

Yes, they were part of a technology program initiated by the then Minister of Defence Lin Biao during the late 1960s/early 1970s with the aim to develop a STOL-capaple tactical transport and CAS-fighter (propably aimed to succeed the Q-5 ... therefore the CG's), but after both the Type-701 "Yan'an" and the ZM-01 were flown as RC-models, the Type-751 was build only as a refined wind-tunnel model.

In the meantime Lin Biao had died during an aircraft crash following an attempted coup against Mao and in consequence all his supporters were purged and projects supported by him were abandoned.

Esp. the Type-751 will be mentioned in a book I'm currently working on ... later ....

Deino

Interesting!!
Those CGI's of the '751 Fighter' looks like it had some Saab Viggen influence - especially the canards, intakes and canopy!!

Regards
Pioneer

Hawker Nut said:
Thanks Deino! Amazing stuff. I am sure the Czech and Russian authors that penned the latest works on the Il-10 didn't have such info available just a few years ago. Heavy COIN is the only role I can envision for such an obsolete design at such a late date. It reminds me of the Piper PA-48 Enforcer (especially the photo you posted - thank you). Do you have a release date for your book or is it still early to ask for it?

We - Tony Buttler and me ! - have to deliver the text by mid 2012 ... so we expect a publishing date in 2013.
Otherwise a bit earlier this book might be interesting too ... but it is more a "handbook" of the current PLAAF/PLANAF, their aircrfat types, weapons, units and the Orbat.

http://www.harpia-publishing.com/futurebooks

Deino

Pioneer said:
Interesting!!
Those CGI's of the '751 Fighter' looks like it had some Saab Viggen influence - especially the canards, intakes and canopy!!

Regards
Pioneer

Yes, especailly the guys at CAC were really in love with the Viggen's configuration ... but all they lacked was a suitable powerplant.
I need to look, but I have a photo of the J-9's chief-designer with a model of the Viggen in hand.

Deino, what about that "LFC-16 fighter program" mentioned in said article? Was it to be the final result of the "751" program, or a different bird?

Stargazer2006 said:
Deino, what about that "LFC-16 fighter program" mentioned in said article? Was it to be the final result of the "751" program, or a different bird?

As far as I know the LFC-16 is a completely seperate project based on the J-7 ... or better to say JL-9 design added with a different wing and these strange side-strakes. It is mentionend in that report since it's aim was do develop a STOL capable fighter similar to the original "751" proposal, but both were not related to eacxh other.

famvburg said:
Veering away from the original topic, but regarding the turbo Il-10, do we know what engine it uses? I had considered a Whif Turbo Il-10 developed in the '60s for the N Vietnamese AF as a counter to the USN /USAF Skyraiders & darned if this real one looks like what I imagined! especially all the extra hardpoints & assorted weapons surely make me think 'Chinese Skyraider'. Anyway, my question. They put turbo props on just about everything that was piston-powered, Tu-4s, Be-6s, (some smaller a/c?) & even the Mi-4 helo, (Z-6?) which IIRC, looked kinda like an Mi-8, now the Il-10 has come to light. Do we know if they converted any Tu-2s? IIRC, they used them well into the '60s.

Stargazer2006 said:

Completely different bird. Its some sort of hybrid of original Beijing SuperWing CY-1 and Guizhou FTC-2000, firstly unveiled during Zhuhai 2004 airshow.

http://www.hitechweb.genezis.eu/fightersOF02.htm

While browsing the web I came across this very interesting page of unbuilt Chinese projects:

It depicts in particular what is called in the article the Northwestern University Aviation Museum's canard STOL "Three Musketeers":
  • the « 701 » passenger transport (called the "Yan'an"),
  • the ZM-01 research aircraft,
  • the « 751 » fighter.
All three appear in model form, but the « 751 » is given special CG treatment. It would seem from some of the photos that the ZM-01 was actually flown, which suggests it is an R/C model.

That fighter look like some kind of mythical beast. It has the head of a F-4 Phantom, rear wings that look like they were taken from an A-4 Skyhawk, and the general body layout of the Saab Viggen.

That wind-tunnel diagram makes it look like they were trying to copy SAAB’s Viggen to use vortices - created by the canard - to re-energize airflow over the top skin of the main/rear wing.
Designer done further work: using jet to enhance and control the vortex of canard.