Buccaneer replaces Canberra in 1965

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
One of the what-if options that at first sight looks attractive is giving the RAF Buccaneers earlier and sparing the pain and agony of TSR2 et al.
Not sure if this one can actually run, but here goes.
The aftermath of the 1957 Defence White Paper left only the Lightning as the RAF's first supersonic aircraft.
The Canberra light bomber force would need replacing. Front runner became a missile similar to the Pershing being developed in the US to replace the venerable Redstones and Mace in West Germany. NATO was keen on this idea as it gave SACEUR a larger nuclear force.
The RAF argued that UK commitments outside NATO required a supersonic Canberra replacement. The RN countered that its carrier-based Buccaneer force would provide a conventional and nuclear option.
The reorganisation of the Aircraft Industry seemed to see English Electric and Hawkers as the two prime military combat aircraft manufacturers. Vickers and De Havilands would focus on civil airliners with the VC10 and Trident.
The RAF were focussed on getting the V force fully operational. It acknowledged that some Canberra roles could then be taken on by the V force.
The Canberra replacement settled down to be a mixture of carrier based Buccaneers and re-roled V bombers.
That was before the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962. NATO realised that the US President needed more options in a crisis than full nuclear retaliation.
The RAF was now asked to look again at its Canberra light bomber force. A modern aircraft capable of delivering conventional and nuclear strikes at low altitude was required to supplement the Pershings. Especially as the UK had cancelled its own Blue Water programme and a NATO Pershing procurement looked unlikely if Italy and Turkey could not base some missiles.
An initial buy of 50 Buccaneer S2 aircraft for the RAF was authorised for delivery from 1964.
Addotional Buccaneers to a new S3 spec were expected to follow.

When i can get my books out of storage....I'll try to dig out the mkIII proposal.

But essentially it's based around a revised back seat equipment with multimode CRT for TV, IR and moving map.

I'll come back to this and point out the obvious. Which is a variation of the Buccaneer was proposed as one of the interim options to OR.339....B.108 I think.
Slightly longer, with improved Gyron Junior using cooled compressor blades for 10,000lb of dry thrust.

Arguably considering the period this wasn't that bad and a run of 150 to 200 such aircraft was very affordable.

Arguably this could have entered service in '65

Edited for increased information.

B.108 was two stage tender to GOR.339 circa 1958

Initial uprated Gyron Junior engines, and fusilage stretch to accommodate a new cockpit, sidescan radar and other avionics.
Slipper tanks met ranges bar maximum, but IFR equipment would solve this.
No.11 yo No.15 B.103 from production would be modified to B.108 Stage 1 configuration and ready to fly by January 1960.

Stage 2 includes reheated Gyron Juniors and redesigned wing.

Additional musings
A Stage 3 would likely try achieve a limited supersonic capability.
Stage 2 would benefit from Bristol T.188 use of Gyron Juniors with reheat.

Thus Buccaneer solutions strictly could be chosen in 1958 and ISD by 1961-62.
1965 would likely be Stage 2 aircraft.

Last edited: