Braduskill Interceptor Concept?

Arcane

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I'm looking for some info on this SDI program. Global Security describes it (briefly) as the brainchild of a LTC Boschma; a "slow-kill" system that would've required basing in the Arctic. Research ran from 1984-86.

Thanks

So I finally found some info regarding Braduskill here. The proposal called for a land-based missile to intercept a Soviet missile early in its flight, thus the requirement for Arctic basing. Instead of destroying the missile outright, Braduskill would fly alongside the Soviet missile, using sensors to discriminate between warheads and decoys. Each Braduskill missile would then launch multiple non-nuclear interceptors at the actual warheads. Four contractors in Huntsville, Alabama were awarded $1 million in development contracts.

I wonder if any research benefitted later projects like the Multiple Kill Vehicle?

I have a hard time understanding how this could actually work. If you imagine looking down on the globe from above, and then draw a line from a Soviet missile silo to a target in the United States, how can you launch anything from in between those two points and then fly alongside the ICBM? You'd have to fly toward the launch site, then reverse your trajectory and catch up to the ICBM in flight. Lot of fuel, lot of velocity change, lot of structural loads. Just not easy at all.

I agree, there still are a lot of questions about this.

BTW, now that we know a little more about the concept, maybe the mods should move it to "Missile Projects"?

Here's a new link to the document Arcane found. Note that Braduskill apparently had the (SDIO?) project designation KEW 0002. Braduskill was also known as the Exo-Atmospheric Non-Nuclear Kill Technology. Referred to in some other documents as the BIC [Braduskill Interceptor Concept].

I have a hard time understanding how this could actually work.

Simple. Essentially its a chaser missile, which correct its trajectory in such way tofollow the launched ICBM (using a more steep trajectory), then slowly overcame the decoys and warheads cloud on the ballistic course & use onboard sensors and mid-course time to analyze the visible target.

draw a line from a Soviet missile silo to a target in the United States, how can you launch anything from in between those two points and then fly alongside the ICBM

Er... you should not draw the line for objects moving in 3D space.

Instead of line, think about an arc, that connect launch point and target. A quite high arc. About 1500-2000 km at apogee. This is the course of ICBM.

Now, think about a second arc, intersecting with first. This arc is starting in Greenland and finishing at the same target as ICBM. This is the course of interceptor.

If the parameters of interceptor trajectory is right, it would overcame ICBM at some point while travelling parallel downward courses.

In atmospheric terms, it flies a pursuit course rather than an intercept course.

Back
Top Bottom