Bell V-280 Valor

FLRAA is the procurement program, we dont know whether Bell will keep the name or change it for the production version, so far they have been procuring the production contracts from suppliers under the same V-280 name. I am sure the US will want to give it its own name in service so the 'Valor' might change.

The US Army, assuming the program survives, will classify the platform (UV vice UH?) and provide a Native American tribe for its name.
As pointed out Bell will continue to work there program with their nomenclature but once a platform is built on federal funds it will be renamed. All of this is being done under the supervision of the Program Manager FLRAA.

The US Army, assuming the program survives, will classify the platform (UV vice UH?) and provide a Native American tribe for its name.
As pointed out Bell will continue to work there program with their nomenclature but once a platform is built on federal funds it will be renamed. All of this is being done under the supervision of the Program Manager FLRAA.
I'm really hoping the Army gets a sense of humor about it, and calls it the Crow. "Bird" name like Osprey and Harrier, "Tribe" name like everything else in the Army.

I'm still not sold on tilt-rotors to replace the MH60R/S, unless the Navy abandons the dipping sonar.

Tilt-rotors for the Marines? Absolutely. But if you look at the number of H-1s the USMC operates, that's only 190 of each (planned). So that's a really small order for V280s and maybe V247s, if the Marines decide to replace their AH1Zs with V247s.

Certainly if the USN wants to continue to "dip" sonar, then I would agree that tilt rotor is likely to be a suboptimal solution. However if you could make a disposable sonar that is launched, flies to, and then activates on entry into the water, it might be more desirable. This in conjunction with faster response times over larger distances could be of significant benefit. I have heard (rumor intel) that the USN has already considered other missions for CMV-22B.

Certainly if the USN wants to continue to "dip" sonar, then I would agree that tilt rotor is likely to be a suboptimal solution. However if you could make a disposable sonar that is launched, flies to, and then activates on entry into the water, it might be more desirable.
What about aerial recoverable bouy? Use something like fulton recovery mechanism and even fixed wing can do it, with hover-capable aircraft the design options expands.

What about aerial recoverable bouy? Use something like fulton recovery mechanism and even fixed wing can do it, with hover-capable aircraft the design options expands.
Certainly an option to be considered. The fancy term being used these days regarding small uncrewed aerial systems is "Attritable". Which means that you desire to recover the unit, but are willing to accept that you might loose it.