B-380, a 21st century Tango for Russia

World B4

my bad y'all
Joined
25 June 2017
Messages
596
Reaction score
558
https://www.deepstorm.ru/DeepStorm.files/45-92/dts/641b/B-380/B-380.htmhttps://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Б-380https://web.archive.org/web/20090406102231/http://www.rosbalt.ru/2009/03/30/629795.html
The B-380 was a Tango ssk of Russia's Black Sea Fleet, out of service since 1991 for a repair that never came, but in the early 2000s work began on not just restoring but modernizing the boat. The project ended in 2008 for financial reasons. Perishable anechoic tiles and batteries required replacement, and no doubt so would many other systems. Compared to the 70s modern equipment seems so far ahead, but I am perplexed that I haven't seen a project number for this unusual modernization. I don't know to what extent the modernization was planned but if it was a combat ssk it should surely have a new designation for the changes needed to make it capable in the 2000s, and if it was only for training or some other auxiliary role that change would definitely warrant a unique designation to reflect the different purpose. I'm really curious what the plan was here.
 
@World B4 The Russians don't have distinct project numbers for most of the many variations of the Project 971 Akula SSN so it would not be a surprise if there is no specific project number for this submarine's modernizations.
 
Back
Top Bottom