B-2: artists impressions of the Advanced Technology Bomber

flateric

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Nostalgie look from 80s...numerous Popular Science artists' attempts to imagine real look of ATB. Most charming is impression of B-2 as semi-faceted design - already after DoD disclosure of B-2 drawing in 1988.

Attachments

fightingirish

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
http://www.wfb4.com/HondaStealth.html

From Wikipedia.com:
From 1989 to 2004, the South Dakota Air and Space Museum located on the grounds of Ellsworth Air Force Base displayed a 10-ton, 3/5 scale "Honda Stealth," a mock-up of a stealth bomber built by North American Honda in 1988 for a national automobile campaign. The mockup is not an actual replica of a B-2, but was close enough to create a stir that Honda had cracked national security, as the B-2 project was still officially classified in 1988.[8] Honda donated the model to the Museum in 1989, with the stipulation the model be destroyed if it was replaced with a different aircraft. The Honda Stealth was dismantled and replaced with a B-1 Lancer aircraft in 2005.

Sentinel Chicken

American 71 Heavy, contact departure 126.47
Reaction score
Website
www.tailsthroughtime.com
Discover magazine also ran a cover story on what they thought it might look like- I think it was in the mid-80s or so. They depicted a triangular planform with four cutouts in the trailing edge for the engine exhausts. The cockpit was flush and there were no rudders in their depiction. Anyone have that magazine or picture?

frank

Reaction score
Obviously, at the time, the B-2 was still classified but the 'official' artist concept had been released. ISTR reading that Honda used the landing gear from a Convair 580.

fightingirish said:
http://www.wfb4.com/HondaStealth.html

From Wikipedia.com:
From 1989 to 2004, the South Dakota Air and Space Museum located on the grounds of Ellsworth Air Force Base displayed a 10-ton, 3/5 scale "Honda Stealth," a mock-up of a stealth bomber built by North American Honda in 1988 for a national automobile campaign. The mockup is not an actual replica of a B-2, but was close enough to create a stir that Honda had cracked national security, as the B-2 project was still officially classified in 1988.[8] Honda donated the model to the Museum in 1989, with the stipulation the model be destroyed if it was replaced with a different aircraft. The Honda Stealth was dismantled and replaced with a B-1 Lancer aircraft in 2005.

elmayerle

Reaction score
Then, there's the one from an early-1980s issue of National Geographic. I'll post that one from home. For that matter, there's the early picture Northrop put out that didn't show the engine exhausts.

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Cutaways god Mike Badrocke's and Bill Sweetman's collective impressions of a 'stealth bomber. It was 1986 on the backyard.
(Bill Sweetman 'Stealth Aircraft: Secrets of Future Airpower', Motorbooks International, 1986) Note that PopSci ilustrations above are based on these ones.

Attachments

Skybolt

Reaction score
Er, gentlemen, ATB stands for Advanced TECHNOLOGY Bomber.... ;)

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, Skybolt...fixed. Was reading too much Stevenson book on Advanced TACTICAL Aircraft (A-12 Avenger II) lately :)

Matej

Multiuniversal creator
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechweb.genezis.eu
Dont worry. The same chaos as Advanced Tactical Fighter (F-16XL/F-15E) and Advanced Technology Fighter (F22/YF-23).

RP1

I see the truth in it.
Reaction score
Website
rp-one.net
Discover magazine also ran a cover story on what they thought it might look like- I think it was in the mid-80s or so. They depicted a triangular planform with four cutouts in the trailing edge for the engine exhausts. The cockpit was flush and there were no rudders in their depiction. Anyone have that magazine or picture?
I think I have a book with a very similar design in it. I'll see if I can find it.

RP1

fightingirish

Reaction score

Skilled craftsmanship and a lot of special effects wizardry were employed in the design of the B-3 Stealth Bomber,an imaginary extension of the current Stealth model bomber, the B-2, modified by Gross to look even more sleek and mean on film.
Since the Stealth is ultra-secret, the production received minimal cooperation from the military.
Instead, Gross and visual effects supervisor Don Baker used their considerable skills and imagination to design a one-sixth scale miniature, measuring eighteen-feet long and fourteen-feet wide.
Source: http://www.foxhome.com/brokenarrow/html/efx1.htm

CammNut

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Matej said:
Dont worry. The same chaos as Advanced Tactical Fighter (F-16XL/F-15E) and Advanced Technology Fighter (F22/YF-23).

I think you will find the YF-22 vs YF-23 competition was for the Advanced Tactical Fighter (ATF) requirement - the F-15E vs F-16XL competition was for the so-called Dual Role Fighter (DRF) requirement

RP1

I see the truth in it.
Reaction score
Website
rp-one.net

Source:

Lt Col DMO Miller, Col WV Kennedy, J Jordan, D Richardson,The Balance of Military Power, Salamander Books Limited 1981

-RP1

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
As it was just mentioned in the What-if-forum, there was also a mixed media kit "B-2 Stealth Bomber" from a company called Model Technologies (never heard her before and later again)

Cheers, Deino

Attachments

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Welk, looks again like the Broken Arrow's B-3...

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
flateric said:
Welk, looks again like the Broken Arrow's B-3...
Yes, but in comparison to Scott's model this one is in 1/72 and much larger ...

By the way are there any news about the availability of Scott's model ?? ???

Deino

hesham

Reaction score
From Flugzeug 1/1987,

here is the B-2 stealth bomber artist impressed drawing.

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
That's right my dear Sferrin.

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
Two years ago, in this same thread, flateric provided the source of that picture: message #114

hesham

Reaction score
Yes my dear Arjen,

I speak about Russian source.

famvburg

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
And as stated in the caption, it is of the Revell 1/72 model released in 1987 -88 timeframe.

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
what caption?

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
hesham said:
Yes my dear Arjen,

I speak about Russian source.
The Kryl'ya Rodine 09/1985 issue appeared after the Popular Science issue. Kryl'ya Rodine, as noted before by flateric, copied the image from PS.
flateric said:
PopSci, Feb 1983
Soviet magazines never were humble while grabbing stuff from Western editions
literally, 'Krilya Rodiny' picture caption in Russian clearly says that 'This is how stealth bomber is imagined by Popular Science magazine'
I admit, I'm slightly mystified by the turn this thread is taking. Hesham, why did you post the Kryl'ya Rodine copy again?

hesham

Reaction score
Arjen said:
Hesham, why did you post the Kryl'ya Rodine copy again?

My dear Arjen,to explain the source.

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Arjen said:
This image's caption, I presume.
Well, err...truly speaking, Flug Revue is somewhat mistaken here because Revell kit has many differences, like inlet position to start with. Anyway, always nice to have another add on to collection. It seems to be another take of Flug Revue artist based on Sweetman/Badrocke concept.

hesham

Reaction score
From Kryl'ya Rodine 9/1987,

here is artist drawing to ATB,taken from Western magazines.

Attachments

sferrin

Reaction score
hesham said:
From Kryl'ya Rodine 9/1987,

here is artist drawing to ATB,taken from Western magazines.
Bill Gunston.

hesham

Reaction score
Hi,

http://books.google.com.eg/books?id=G-MDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA71&dq=popular+mechanics+flying-wing&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WAH_U6XKJ6mc0AWf4YGYDg&ved=0CCsQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=popular%20mechanics%20flying-wing&f=true

Attachments

XP67_Moonbat

Reaction score
I read that issue when I was a kid. Thank you Hesh! Takes me back. :)

fightingirish

Reaction score
flateric said:
Cutaways god Mike Badrocke's and Bill Sweetman's collective impressions of a 'stealth bomber. It was 1986 on the backyard.
(Bill Sweetman 'Stealth Aircraft: Secrets of Future Airpower', Motorbooks International, 1986) Note that PopSci ilustrations above are based on these ones.
Source: Bill Sweetman 'Stealth Aircraft: Secrets of Future Airpower', Motorbooks International, 1986, page 80 & 81

hesham

Reaction score
Hi,

here is a Grumman advanced hypothetical stealth bomber.

Aircraft 2000, Bill Sweetman

Attachments