Avro Interest in Jetstar

Hood

ACCESS: Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
I have come across a reference in an Air Ministry document dated April 1960 that states that Avro was interested in licence-building the Lockheed JetStar with the Bristol Orpheus engine.

I seem to vaguely reading something like this, but I'm not sure if its speculation or a concrete plan. At this time Avro were working hard on the 761 and 771 designs as well as other 748 derivatives, but nothing directly fitting the bizjet market.
I'm sure the Flight archive might have had something had it still been up. I wondered if anyone had any information on this proposal?

Part of a planned industrial offset, if I recall correctly.

(surmise, not firm). If you really mean A.M. (responsible for RAF) and not MoA (industry sponsor) then Avro's relevance to RAF, 4/60 was as about-to-be-appointed Sister Firm for Skybolt. We had chopped Avro Blue Steel Mk. 2 12/59 ahead of Agreeing to take Skybolt, 6/60. A.M. had zero interest in any industrial offset; MoA did. None eventuated. There was nothing on the weapon (USAF wanted 1,000 and had no wish for the project to be confused by an interloper taking 100). The main Sister input by Avro was to confirm it could fit snug under Vulcan B.2 as-now-in-build, but would you like a Phase 6 which could carry >2? Oh, and Victor landing gear cannot be tweaked to raise the a/c to take the ALBM, so buy more Vulcans of any model, please.

MWDP had part-funded Orpheus 1955, so Bristol had negotiated a licence for it to be Wright TJ37: Lockheed took it as design baseline for L.1329, first flight 4/9/57 (twin). That scheme faltered so Lockheed's first sale, Fiscal 59, was 5xC-140A, 4xPWC JT12A. So, maybe, Avro explored Orpheus, early-1960.

But: HSAL bought DH, 17/12/59 so acquired Jet Dragon DH.125/ASM (HSAL) Viper. HSAL was very slow to integrate their Aero brands (multiple bids to TSR.2), but by 6/60 would have terminated any Avro thoughts of Group internal creative tension.

It was mentioned by the DOR, so presumably he was talking from some kind of inside knowledge or the rumour mill. Saying that given the number of Flight clippings in the Kew files you could be forgiven that was their main source of intel!

I guess it might have been a proposal looked at, it makes sense for Avro to get a jump onto the business market using a proven airframe already suited to British engines. It probably didn't last long as a concept once Lockheed moved away from the Orepheus.