An early Phantom Gunship

The Artist

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
From Aviation Week. April 4, 1966.

An F-4C carrying clusters of GAU-2B/A Miniguns was being evaluated by McDonnell and the USAF at Eglin AFB. At the time this photo had been taken the aircraft had been flown in this configuration. Additional tests with 15 Miniguns were planned though the thinking was that in combat operations the aircraft would only carry up to 9 guns - allowing it to carry external tanks on the outer wing stations.

Edit: I've changed the heading twice. I'm not sure if this should be called a gunship or gunfighter. As the article talked about using it against ground targets I guess I should stay with gunship.

Attachments

• 9-gun phnatom.jpg
    9-gun phnatom.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 655
"solid-nosed"

Okay, there was no bombardier position, but what's the connection ??

The fact that they carried 8 .50 browning machine guns in that position for strafing me thinks.

Also the Luftwaffe and the "watering can" mods to Ju 88s. Plus the Soviets fitting 80-odd ppsh(?) submachine-guns in (I think) an SB-2 or a Tu-2.

Given the probs with twisting out of alignment with fitting the Vulcan pods to Phantom centreline pylons, are there any notes about that with this installation?

I wouldn't like to be the wingman when all the brass falls out.

Chris

All I have so far is this picture and the caption. However, I may find more on it as I make my way through what will be a long project at the museum.

XP67_Moonbat said:
Nowhere near as much firepower, gun-for-gun. But just as impressive.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I'm pretty sure that the actual weight of fire from the Chico would have been considerably greater (and the HE rounds, would further increase this effect) - although I haven't crunched the numbers.

However, the 9-minigun config would certainly stand a chance for the greatest combined rate of fire in a flown aircraft.

CJGibson said:
Given the probs with twisting out of alignment with fitting the Vulcan pods to Phantom centreline pylons, are there any notes about that with this installation?

I suspect that with the aim being to create a diffuse "cone of death" against soft-skinned ground targets (personnel, light vehicles etc), and with the number of guns actually contributing to the cone, dispersion effects aren't a primary concern!! Certainly not to the degree they would be for aerial dogfighting.

Oh, I was referring to the actual number of guns on the "gunship" versus those on Chico. Of course Chico also brought Rockeyes, a jammer pod and Sparrows to the party. Either way, I find both variants fascinating. Lots of firepower.

I am positive that this was trialled for air to air and found wanting . Let me see if I can find the single book I saw it mentioned .

Edit: It turns out it was a discussion in a Turkish forum that came up and I gather the book is
"Phantom - A Legend In Its Own Time By Francis K. Mason in 1984 "

Back
Top Bottom