Air-to-air anti radar missiles ?

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just a question, I was discussing with a friend last weekend:
The HARM, the most numerous western Anti radar missile is based on the Sparrow,
with regards to structure and engine, AFAIK. Of the new Meteorite missile, which
will arm the Typhoon and others, a SEAD version is envisaged.
Would it make sense, or is it possible to use anti radar missiles in an air-to-air role ?
A viable target, for example could be an AEW aircraft, but against fighters, too, I
think, use of such weapons would be reasonable, as if not scoring a direct hit, it
would prevent them from using their radars.
But I've never read of something like that ..... ???

Well, there was the Seekbat program, which sought to force MiG-25s to fight with their radar off. Details may be found at http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-97.html.

I've often suspected that one or more of the Russian ramjet-powered missiles has an anti-radar mission against AWACS aircraft, I know I'd set something up that way. By the same token, the anti-radar version of the Kh-41 "Moskito" appears to be aimed at getting Aegis cruisers and other Aegis-equipped ships out of the way as quickly and permanently as possible.

The USSR actually put such a missile into service: the R-27EP. It is less able to engage manouvering targets than the other versions, but could have been useful in some circumstances.

The USA tested a few such missiles - Brazo and Seekbat - but never put them in service.

Home-on-jam (HOJ) mode in modern seekers is a reasonable substitute for a dedicated AARM.

To Jemiba:
I think you have made a little mistake. As far as I know, HARM is not based on AIM-7 Sparrow. This AAM missile was the base for the AGM-45 Shrike ARM.
ASALM was proposed as a multi role missile, with AAM, ALCM and anti-AWACS capabilities.
Greetings to all.

Jemiba said:
Just a question, I was discussing with a friend last weekend:
The HARM, the most numerous western Anti radar missile is based on the Sparrow,
with regards to structure and engine, AFAIK. Of the new Meteorite missile, which
will arm the Typhoon and others, a SEAD version is envisaged.
Would it make sense, or is it possible to use anti radar missiles in an air-to-air role ?
A viable target, for example could be an AEW aircraft, but against fighters, too, I
think, use of such weapons would be reasonable, as if not scoring a direct hit, it
would prevent them from using their radars.
But I've never read of something like that ..... ???

AFAIK Harm and Sparrow have nothing to do with each other. Neither do Shrike and Sparrow. Shrike is smaller and HARM is larger.

Shrike was based around the AIM-7C airframe.

Sorry for that, I would have seen, if I wouldn't have looked into just
one book ,and in this case the wrong one ! I'll do better research next
time :(

Jemiba said:
Sorry for that, I would have seen, if I wouldn't have looked into just
one book ,and in this case the wrong one ! I'll do better research next
time :(

SOC's right about Shrike. I'd ASSumed that since it's about two feet shorter than AIM-7 and has different fins and wings that there was no chance. Shrike just looks tiny by comparison. Apparently it is though. :-[

22489630402_1d093a2011_b.jpg

22477036216_3f002272ab_b.jpg

Brazo trials

Does home-on-jam count? If it does the list is much larger.

Well, there was the Seekbat program, which sought to force MiG-25s to fight with their radar off. Details may be found at http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-97.html.

I've often suspected that one or more of the Russian ramjet-powered missiles has an anti-radar mission against AWACS aircraft, I know I'd set something up that way. By the same token, the anti-radar version of the Kh-41 "Moskito" appears to be aimed at getting Aegis cruisers and other Aegis-equipped ships out of the way as quickly and permanently as possible.

Wasn't it stated that an anti-AWAC modification of the Kh-31 was in development?

The AGM-122 Sidearm had an Air to Air mode if I recall correctly.