AGM-78

Ronny

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
AGM-78 is a derivative of RIM-66A (SM-1MR block I) with the same airframe and the same MK-27 MoD 4 dual thrust rocket motor. The only thing changed is the AGM-45A-3Aa seeker
RIM-66A (SM-1MR block I) top speed is Mach 1.8 and max range is 32 km.
RIM-66B (SM-1MR Block V) top speed is Mach 3.5 and max range is 46 km thanks to the new MK56 dual thrust rocket motor.
For comparison, max range of AGM-78 is 90 km
But there are conflicting information about its top speed: some source say top speed is Mach 2.5 while some say top speed is Mach 1.8
On one hand, it makes sense that AGM-78 is faster than RIM-66A because it is basically an air launched RIM-66A
On the other hand, kinda strange that they make the replacement AGM-88 slower than AGM-78?.
Do anyone have reliable information about this

Last edited:
On the other hand, kinda strange that they make the replacement AGM-88 slower than AGM-78?

STARM was huge. HARM was about half the weight and had a smarter seeker. I call that a win.

AGM-78 is a derivative of RIM-66A (SM-1MR block I) with the same airframe and the same MK-27 MoD 4 dual thrust rocket motor. The only thing changed is the AGM-45A-3Aa seeker
RIM-66A (SM-1MR block I) top speed is Mach 1.8 and max range is 32 km.
RIM-66B (SM-1MR Block V) top speed is Mach 3.5 and max range is 46 km thanks to the new MK56 dual thrust rocket motor.
For comparison, max range of AGM-78 is 90 km
But there are conflicting information about its top speed: some source say top speed is Mach 2.5 while some say top speed is Mach 1.8
On one hand, it makes sense that AGM-78 is faster than RIM-66A because it is basically an air launched RIM-66A
On the other hand, kinda strange that they make the replacement AGM-88 slower than AGM-78?.
Do anyone have reliable information about this
ASM-N-8 corvus which even predate AGM-45 shrike can fly 315 km at 3.75 Mach which make its kinematic on pair with AARGM-ER