Aerial rocket installation on F-89, F-94, etc. - Where does the exhaust go?

AeroFranz

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
For example, the nose of the F-94 was loaded with aerial rockets, my understanding being that there were doors that would open to allow the rockets through. But what happened to the exhaust gasses? I was looking at cutaways of the F-94 and it wasn't helpful, i saw no callout to exhaust ports or other solutions, although i'm sure there must be some provision. How did the F-94 (and other aircraft) solve the problem?

For example, the nose of the F-94 was loaded with aerial rockets, my understanding being that there were doors that would open to allow the rockets through. But what happened to the exhaust gasses? I was looking at cutaways of the F-94 and it wasn't helpful, i saw no callout to exhaust ports or other solutions, although i'm sure there must be some provision. How did the F-94 (and other aircraft) solve the problem?
If I recall correctly there were no exhaust ports. Gasses went out of the tube throught its muzzle, so the launcher gave recoil impuls. As a result rockets had greater velocity.
Similar arrangement was used in the Soviet 8-round rocket launcher that armed MiG-19s.
Piotr

The Lockeed F-94 had closed-breech rocket launchers, so the exhaust gases followed the rockets out of the launcher muzzles, see the video HERE

The Northrop F-89, on the other hand had open-breech launchers, the exhaust gases exiting around the middle of the launcher / tank pod, as can be seen in the picture HERE

cheers,
Robin.

Thank you! i looked more closely at the F-89 pods and now i do see slits behind the rockets where the exhaust would escape. As for the F-94, i would have NEVER thought that you could fire rockets with a closed breech! I suppose the wing pod installations on the -94 must have worked similarly, i can't see an exhaust.