650mm Torpedo Tubes. Good or Bad Idea?

panzerfeist1

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.quora.com
Got alot of questions relating to this thread.

DM2A4, black shark torpedo, Torpedo Type 89, Mark 48, and F-21 shows that the west stayed with 530mm torpedo tubes. I am just trying to figure out why the Soviets went along with the 65-76a torpedoes which shows their range characteristics being twice the amount of the current 530mm torpedoes listed here? Did they abandon 650mm torpedo projects because submarines have gotten more silent? Or there is alot of inaccuracy trying to hit another submarine 100kms away?

Why did the west refuse to have 650mm torpedo tubes? I Cant find sources of 650mm torpedoes from them

https://www.israeldefense.co.il/en/...ing-acquisition-additional-submarines-germany Also I am trying to figure out why they are using 650mm torpedo tubes to launch cruise missiles is a VLS supposed to be used for this?

Last edited:
The Seawolf class has 660s, which were supposed to give better swim-out performance to existing torpedoes and allow the use of future wide-diameter weapons. The next SSN class my well have larger tubes, especially if a larger VLS standard is adopted by the surface navy.

The Seawolf class has 660s, which were supposed to give better swim-out performance to existing torpedoes and allow the use of future wide-diameter weapons. The next SSN class my well have larger tubes, especially if a larger VLS standard is adopted by the surface navy.
Old thread, but I expect the SSN(X) aka Virginia replacement to be a Seawolf mk2, and then some. That huge torpedo room with 50 weapons spaces, plus at least a pair of VPM tubes forward for VLS. A little big bigger around than the Seawolf, I'm assuming that they'll run on the Columbia class engineroom.

And yes, 660mm main tubes, with all stows etc a bit longer than current so that something like the VA-111 supercavitating torpedo can fit.