Register here

Author Topic: Standard Missile projects.  (Read 34012 times)

Offline Moose

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Standard Missile projects.
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2017, 12:35:33 pm »
Sea Sparrow and ESSM have from time to time. Not able to dig out any information at the moment though.

Offline bring_it_on

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2017, 01:06:50 pm »
In the recent past, ESSM Block 1 was launched from NASAMS and was offered but Raytheon then switched it to the AMRAAM-ER configuration since according to it most of the customers were interested in an active seeker weapon.
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline Kat Tsun

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2017, 07:21:58 pm »
In the recent past, ESSM Block 1 was launched from NASAMS and was offered but Raytheon then switched it to the AMRAAM-ER configuration since according to it most of the customers were interested in an active seeker weapon.

This is a bit off topic, but I wonder if MBDA will ever offer up a SL-Meteor as a competitor to SLAMRAAM. It would be a superior missile to any AMRAAM within the same range and a bit further and electrically compatible (IIRC Meteor is backwards compatible with AMRAAM plugs and rails) with the NASAMS box launchers.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2017, 02:20:40 am »
A longer ranged AMRAAM is on offer for NASAMS in the AMRAAM-ER. Sure an SL-Meteor could be designed, but one advantage for current and future customers of the system is that they can take their standard AMRAAM stocks and orders and use them on the NASAMS, something that is a drawback even for the ER version. Moreover, cost is also likely to play a role here since many NASAM customers and perspective operators are already AMRAAM users and have it integrated with their fighters. I think from a capabilities and cost perspective, integrating the SkyCeptor with NASAMS is probably a better idea than the Meteor given the Stunners cost and the ability to go after the cheaper, shorter ranged ballistic missiles. The Sentinel A4 would open up NASAMS to longer range intercepts so most operators will likely shop around for options when they look to upgrade the system..

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:51:21 am by bring_it_on »
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2017, 09:47:10 am »
From FBO for November 20, 2017

The Naval Sea Systems Command intends to award STANDARD Missile-2 Block IIIC EMD and LRIP
requirements on a sole source basis to Raytheon Company, 1151 East Hermans Road, Tucson,
Arizona 85706. The requirement consists of leveraging existing fielded designs from both the
STANDARD Missile-2 and STANDARD Missile-6 to develop the SM-2 Block IIIC All-Up-Round (AUR) design
and produce Low Rate Initial Production AURs.

my emphasis

Offline sferrin

« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2017, 09:52:19 am »
Sounds like the intent is basically an SM-6 sans booster to replace the current SM-2 Block IIIBs.  BTW whatever happened to the plan to add TVC (among other things) to SM-2 to enable more effectiveness against sea-skimmers?  Anybody know what THAT mod was supposed to be called?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:16:25 am by sferrin »
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline TomS

« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2017, 10:58:47 am »
Sounds like the intent is basically an SM-6 sans booster to replace the current SM-2 Block IIIBs.  BTW whatever happened to the plan to add TVC (among other things) to SM-2 to enable more effectiveness against sea-skimmers?  Anybody know what THAT mod was supposed to be called?

They really need to standardize their nomneclature a bit.

The FY18 Budget request refers to this missile as SM-2 Active or SM-6 MR.

http://www.secnav.navy.mil/fmc/fmb/Documents/18pres/WPN_Book.pdf

SM-2 ACTIVE: SM-2 Improvements will bring the SM-2 medium range missile into the family of active missiles as an active MR missile. SM-2 Active (or SM-6 MR) provides enhanced Stream-Raid performance against numerous threats to include agile prism via target resolution in range and Doppler and missile/target pairing logic, over-the-horizon capability for increased depth of fire, enhanced capability against electronic attack, improved firepower due to decreased dependence on illuminators, and enhanced fuzing via guidance integrated fuzing. Effort leverages to the maximum extent existing SM-6 infrastructure and industrial manufacturing capability. The inventory objective is 1,000 units.

It also refers to SM-2 Block IIIAZ, which is a IIIA modified to work with the non-AEGIS radar in DDG-1000 (and presumably future non-AEGIS ships). 

Offline sferrin

« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2017, 12:31:37 pm »

They really need to standardize their nomneclature a bit.

The FY18 Budget request refers to this missile as SM-2 Active or SM-6 MR.

http://www.secnav.navy.mil/fmc/fmb/Documents/18pres/WPN_Book.pdf

SM-2 ACTIVE: SM-2 Improvements will bring the SM-2 medium range missile into the family of active missiles as an active MR missile. SM-2 Active (or SM-6 MR) provides enhanced Stream-Raid performance against numerous threats to include agile prism via target resolution in range and Doppler and missile/target pairing logic, over-the-horizon capability for increased depth of fire, enhanced capability against electronic attack, improved firepower due to decreased dependence on illuminators, and enhanced fuzing via guidance integrated fuzing. Effort leverages to the maximum extent existing SM-6 infrastructure and industrial manufacturing capability. The inventory objective is 1,000 units.

It also refers to SM-2 Block IIIAZ, which is a IIIA modified to work with the non-AEGIS radar in DDG-1000 (and presumably future non-AEGIS ships).

I wonder why they'd go with the IIIA instead of the newer IIIB. (Both are pretty much ancient.)
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2017, 01:13:14 pm »

I wonder why they'd go with the IIIA instead of the newer IIIB. (Both are pretty much ancient.)

Cost reasons.

It was originally IIIB but IIIA already had the X-band datalink and supported ICWI.