Register here

Author Topic: USAF/US NAVY 6th Generation Fighter Programs - F/A-XX, F-X, NGAD, PCA  (Read 747207 times)

Offline bring_it_on

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
Re: USAF/US NAVY 6th Generation Fighter Programs - F/A-XX, F-X, NGAD, PCA
« Reply #2445 on: January 13, 2018, 09:32:21 am »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:23:33 pm by flateric »
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline Sundog

« Reply #2446 on: January 14, 2018, 09:38:13 am »
Thanks, I always liked that Boeing Phantom Works design, it's nice to finally see the planform, as opposed to the usual isometric image they have shown repeatedly.

Offline galgot

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #2447 on: January 14, 2018, 01:38:28 pm »
Funny, it's a classic swept wing come back. Almost a F-100 Super Sabre wing in plan view.
Ok , just a concept anyway I suppose...

Offline Airplane

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #2448 on: January 14, 2018, 05:33:10 pm »
Funny, it's a classic swept wing come back. Almost a F-100 Super Sabre wing in plan view.

I'm sure that's exactly what that is and not just generic artwork to fill a page. :-\ I'm sure swept wings will do wonders for landing speed and short field performance, especially given that there are no thrust reversers shown.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:36:05 pm by Airplane »
"The test of success is not what you do when your on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.”
– General George S. Patton

Offline kcran567

« Reply #2449 on: January 14, 2018, 08:07:01 pm »
To me looks like the original ATF from Lockheed, but with intakes on dorsal. Not impressed, I don't like it (the Boeing 6th Gen). Just my $.02 cents.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #2450 on: January 14, 2018, 08:49:20 pm »

I'm sure that's exactly what that is and not just generic artwork to fill a page. :-\ I'm sure swept wings will do wonders for landing speed and short field performance, especially given that there are no thrust reversers shown.
Still think Lockheed Skunkworks has the best concept art so far. Just says "Penetrating Counter Air" to me.
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline circle-5

• Concept Models Guy
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #2451 on: February 12, 2018, 03:18:26 pm »
The NGC 6th Generation Fighter (6GAFS) has several (eight?) sensors mounted directly on the canopy transparency.  Does anybody know their purpose and the reason for their unusual placement?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:20:40 pm by circle-5 »

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #2452 on: February 12, 2018, 03:24:56 pm »
Moar! Please!

Offline circle-5

• Concept Models Guy
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #2453 on: February 12, 2018, 03:46:33 pm »
Sorry, I don't have moar: the top photo is a model on the desk of NGC's Chris Hernandez (published by the Los Angeles Times, if I remember correctly).  The bottom illustration came from NGC and was posted on this thread by Flateric about two years ago.

As you can imagine, I could use moar as well ...

Offline kcran567

« Reply #2454 on: February 12, 2018, 04:23:37 pm »
The NGC 6th Generation Fighter (6GAFS) has several (eight?) sensors mounted directly on the canopy transparency.  Does anybody know their purpose and the reason for their unusual placement?

Synthetic vision

Offline Dynoman

« Reply #2455 on: February 12, 2018, 04:30:37 pm »
Circle5, my guess is the elements in the canopy is a system for controlling the transmittance of electromagnetic energy. NGC conducted experiments with energizable liquid crystal panel structures in the late 1990's for a canopy that prevented electromagnetic energy transmittance through the canopy using multi-pane canopies with a liquid crystal structure in the middle. When the system is on the canopy becomes opaque, varying from partially transparent to fully opaque depending on its setting. Not sure if this is the same thing, just a guess.

Interesting facet of the NGC concept: the structure would allow informational displays to be projected in the canopy (e.g. target cueing information, artificial horizon, etc.). Again, just a thought. I don't know if this is the case for this design.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 04:33:48 pm by Dynoman »

Offline Sundog

« Reply #2456 on: February 12, 2018, 05:26:48 pm »
I was thinking that's a UCAV variant of an aircraft that is optionally manned and that is a a view of the "cockpit" on the unmanned version.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #2457 on: February 12, 2018, 08:59:14 pm »
Circle5, my guess is the elements in the canopy is a system for controlling the transmittance of electromagnetic energy. NGC conducted experiments with energizable liquid crystal panel structures in the late 1990's for a canopy that prevented electromagnetic energy transmittance through the canopy using multi-pane canopies with a liquid crystal structure in the middle. When the system is on the canopy becomes opaque, varying from partially transparent to fully opaque depending on its setting. Not sure if this is the same thing, just a guess.

Interesting facet of the NGC concept: the structure would allow informational displays to be projected in the canopy (e.g. target cueing information, artificial horizon, etc.). Again, just a thought. I don't know if this is the case for this design.

https://www.google.com/patents/US5790209
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline circle-5

• Concept Models Guy
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #2458 on: February 12, 2018, 10:07:51 pm »
That patent information from the 1990s corroborates what Dynoman was explaining – thank you Flateric.

What is described here is basically an embedded liquid crystal film, that turns the canopy opaque or transparent when energized, like on the Maybach automobile glass roof.

The HUD and external video projection possibilities are interesting, although today's F-35 helmet visor is capable of doing most of that (except for the EMT and laser shielding of the cockpit and pilot).  If this NGC fighter does feature a canopy-opacifying system, I have my doubts that it would take the form of a bunch of 4-5 inch diameter discs stuck directly on the transparent canopy.

So for now, I’m going with Sundog’s suggestion of a temporary sensor suite placed inside the canopy for unmanned mission configurations (replacing the eyes of a pilot and probably more).

Northrop-Grumman engineers working on this program might laugh their heads off if they ever read our interpretation of these dots – assuming we’re way off-base, of course.  Which we're not.

Offline starviking

« Reply #2459 on: February 12, 2018, 11:21:18 pm »
I was thinking that's a UCAV variant of an aircraft that is optionally manned and that is a a view of the "cockpit" on the unmanned version.

Me too. They do seem optimally placed to replicate a pilot's PoV. Of course, it could also be combined with controlled transmittance to provide a pilot with a synthetic view when the cockpit is 'dark'.