Register here

Author Topic: USAF/US NAVY 6th Generation Fighter Programs - F/A-XX, F-X, NGAD, PCA  (Read 785354 times)

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline bobbymike

Re: USAF/US NAVY 6th Generation Fighter Programs - F/A-XX, F-X, NGAD, PCA
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 12:30:57 am »
We have seen a lot of pics of a nominal F/A-XX from Boeing but as my last post also states the anonymous Lockheed executive also talks of the Air Force's 6G fighter. Anyone found pics or drawings of this potential program?
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline GAU-8 Avenger

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2009, 12:22:45 am »
Haven't heard anything from Lockheed, but in my opinion they already have too much on their plate at the moment?

Does anybody know what the requirements of a 6th generation fighter even are?

Offline donnage99

• "Robert Gates, is that you??" sublight
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2009, 10:48:44 am »
There are none.  It's not a program yet.  However, there's the FATE program which studies new technologies that could be applied to the 6th generation fighter. 
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7068.0/highlight,fate.html
I personally think that it's impossible to know what shape the aircraft gonna take, because new emergent technologies whether from the enemy or from us can greatly shift the thinking behind the plane.  We once thought Lockheed ATF was a aircraft with canard delta wing.  It could have ended up so if not for the fact that stealth was the emergent technology at the time that no one really knew about accept in the black world.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 11:16:17 am »
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Online robunos

• You're Mad, You Are.....
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 11:22:40 am »

To out-perform in all aspects a 5th generation fighter, preferably at same or lower cost, I would presume....

cheers,
         Robin.
Where ARE the Daleks when you need them......

Offline Just call me Ray

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2009, 02:03:23 pm »
I would imagine most experts would agree a 6th-generation fighter may incorporate unmanned technology.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker.
- Skydrol from Airliners.net

Offline GAU-8 Avenger

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 05:23:53 am »
I don't know about the unmanned part considering low-cost, long-loiter time, strike aircraft seems to be what most UCAVs are aiming for.

Still waiting to see a UAV with a GAU-8/A in it.

Offline Just call me Ray

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 10:13:42 am »
I don't know about the unmanned part considering low-cost, long-loiter time, strike aircraft seems to be what most UCAVs are aiming for.

That's what a "6th generation fighter" might end up being. No one said it had to be an "air dominance fighter."
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker.
- Skydrol from Airliners.net

Offline donnage99

• "Robert Gates, is that you??" sublight
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 10:51:06 am »
Well, considering navy's vision of replacing super hornets and compliment the f-35 fleet after 2020, I think air superiority will be a requirement.     

Offline SteveO

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2009, 11:10:43 am »
I'd like to see the USN revisit the missiler concept instead of a manned F/A-XX.

Give it supersonic biz-jet performance, a four crew cockpit (plus a toilet  :D ), a large internal and external weapons fit (at least twice the capacity of the F-35C), a remote gun turret on the tail or belly that can later be upgraded to laser and a comprehensive sensor and communications fit capable of controlling UCAVs and all current and future weapons.

Think of it as a Super Prowler/Viking with a touch of E-2 Hawkeye  ;D

The gun turret is mainly for gunship (AC-130) type missions, it would also have a belly full of SDBs and JDAMs and rockets and missiles on the wings. The gun would come in handy for ocean patrols too, warning shots or attacking small craft.

Laser turret, hypersonic cruise missiles and long range air to air missiles could be fitted for advanced threats.

Four crew cockpit and toilet would certainly help with time over target in low intensity conflicts and could be of benefit controlling UCAVs during higher intensity conflicts.  
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:14:32 pm by SteveO »

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2009, 10:16:51 pm »
http://www.airforce-magazine.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/2009/October%202009/1009fighter.aspx

I know on this website and others there has been considerable discussion about ending F-22 production. The comments range from "good don't need it" to "stupidest defense decisions ever" (I fall into the later group) That said some, including myself, have said maybe just maybe there is some development program "in the black" that will lead to a 6th generations fighter.
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2009, 11:04:19 pm »
 Yes, the whole F-22 program was an exercise in "Maskirovka" where the wily Americans spend $62 billion to fool Russia into thinking that was their next generation fighter while secretly developing their real next generation real fighter plane in Area 51, no doubt assembled by Elvis, Jimmy Hoffa and the aliens from the Roswell crash.

Seriously, I doubt there's a secret next generation fighter.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2009, 11:42:00 pm »
Wishful thinking, dear sir, wishful thinking   ;)

Charles W. Eliot

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2009, 11:49:13 pm »
You know something,

Prima facie what Paul is saying obviously makes sense.

But I do remember a Boeing press thingy where they offered India a "4.75" generation Supar Dupaar Hornet which *may* give India the ability to *transition* into a sixth generation fighter that Boeing will introduce in the future.

Now funny as the above sounds it probably came in response to LM's MMRCA pitch were they talked about a "flight path" from a Block 70 Falcon to the F-35 fifth generation. ;)