Register here

Author Topic: A tip of the hat for this remarkable forum!  (Read 7549 times)

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
A tip of the hat for this remarkable forum!
« on: July 07, 2016, 08:43:49 am »
Allow me to be slightly off-topic for a tip of the hat to PaulMM.

This topic on McDonnell Douglas F-15 projects is the oldest existing topic on our forum, started on December 28, 2005! The topic was #2 to be created on the forum (#1 no longer exists... it may have been a test topic or merged into another one). The first post in this thread is post #2 of all that was ever posted (out of 285,776 to date!).

Thanks Paul for your passion and your dedication to this forum and making it such a great place to hang around!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:21:20 am by Skyblazer »

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
Re: A tip of the hat for this remarkable forum!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 10:27:37 am »

This is the oldest existing topic on our forum, started on December 28, 2005! The topic was #2 to be created on the forum (#1 no longer exists... it may have been a test topic or merged into another one). The first post in this thread is post #2 of all that was ever posted (out of 285,776 to date!).

Thanks Paul for your passion and your dedication to this forum and making it such a great place to hang around!

Hear, hear!
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 09:59:13 pm »

This is the oldest existing topic on our forum, started on December 28, 2005! The topic was #2 to be created on the forum (#1 no longer exists... it may have been a test topic or merged into another one). The first post in this thread is post #2 of all that was ever posted (out of 285,776 to date!).

Hear, hear!
This site has to be one of the greatest accumulations of information assembled by private members on the internet. I smiled when I found the site, smiled when I became a member and smile most days by what I find and read here.
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline dan_inbox

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • Profanity: weaker mind trying to speak forcefully
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 10:27:24 pm »
This site has to be one of the greatest accumulations of information assembled by private members on the internet.
Absolutely. This forum is quite an achievement. One of the very best references, thanks to Paul and to the tireless grooming by the moderators.

Congratulations to you all.

Offline kaiserbill

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 02:09:48 am »
This site has to be one of the greatest accumulations of information assembled by private members on the internet.
Absolutely. This forum is quite an achievement. One of the very best references, thanks to Paul and to the tireless grooming by the moderators.

Congratulations to you all.

I quite agree.
The information accumulated and brought out into the light of day is staggering...in many, many  topics the first time info has been brought out into the open. And in many cases I suspect actually saving or preserving info.

Online Ron5

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 11:29:14 am »
Could not agree more. Well done, live long and prosper.

Offline Avimimus

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 12:26:00 pm »
Hear hear!

This place is one of my reliable daily pleasures - thank you all - especially the founders!

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 02:16:30 pm »
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I would never have started writing books if I hadn't started it :)
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 08:07:31 pm »
It's a fantastic resource. Many thanks to the moderators and forum members.

* My only concern is that I'm seeing more and more of our discussions being excerpted without attribution by various news and trade publications. *

(Don't know what the official terms of use are and I'd be happy to just modify my signature to say "Please don't steal this" )

Offline starviking

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 08:19:48 pm »
Indeed it is!

It's a fantastic resource. Many thanks to the moderators and forum members.

* My only concern is that I'm seeing more and more of our discussions being excerpted without attribution by various news and trade publications. *
(Don't know what the official terms of use are and I'd be happy to just modify my signature to say "Please don't steal this" )

That's plagiarism, and a very serious offense for anyone claiming to be professional. Do you have any links?

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 09:20:43 pm »

That's plagiarism, and a very serious offense for anyone claiming to be professional. Do you have any links?

Our ever enigmatic member "quellish" was complaining about it as well so I don't feel that I'm totally off base here.

I had complained about it inline on a topic once and got a Private Message encouraging me to take it up with the editor of the publication in question.
The problem with that was the editor of the publication in question wrote the offending piece.   

This piece from "The Guardian" https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/23/trident-steroid-hp-sauce-nuclear-submarines reads an awful lot like our nearly contemporary "Scotex:What happens to Trident?" topic.

Not to say that the same ideas and analyses can't be independently conceived at  the same time..

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 02:27:48 am »
A few journalists have definitely taken stories or images from the forum at various time, but for example Bill Sweetman was always good at giving credit. So long as credit is given, its all good (and this is also why users post should credit their sources).

Quellish is a dedicated researcher with some deep investigative skills, so it wouldn't be surprising if his work sometimes get taken up by the other websites without correct attribution. I don't think that means there's a general trend to be seen here.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 02:29:27 am by PaulMM (Overscan) »
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline phrenzy

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • as long as all they ask me about is the air war...
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 05:30:21 am »
I've snuck this forum into a source for University a few times (hope that counts as proper attribution). There's simply no other place for a lot of this stuff and it's endlessly fascinating, often where I see things in other places online and I'll do a little digging to find the info, image or word for word excerpt taken from the forum.

I'm a member of a few very good forums on a number of topics, but this has to be one of the genuine best collection of genuinely intensive and generally reliable information on a subject it there. The balance of keeping opinion and debate open as well as discussion sometimes on the fringes of legitimate research without letting the MJ12 crowd take over is a fine and impressive balancing act.

We train young men to drop fire on people. Yet their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it is obscene.  -  Kurtz

Offline MaxLegroom

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • Why not?
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 04:10:32 pm »
I'll chime in on this one, having been a member for a few years.  My desire for more information on the SST brought me here.  I've found a lot of new interests on the way, and have a great time seeing what's going on.

Offline kcran567

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 03:29:52 am »
Two thumbs up, the best site of its kind, very good moderators and highly educated, multinational, nice, knowledgable people! Fun to visit and look around.