Register here

Author Topic: Navy Seeks Rail Guns, Lasers, Cruise Missiles To Improve Pacific Firepower  (Read 67532 times)

Offline Moose

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
The Drive had a piece on SSTDs that was pretty good, and gave an idea as to the extent it has reached the fleet.

Offline jsport

• I really should change my personal text
believe there is another EM TD but has since been taken off the internet.

Offline jsport

https://www.popsci.com/futuristic-chinese-warship-concept-is-making-waves

Ok, pretty sci fi, but the future is now. These are really not that new of ideas. The idea of a Semi submersible large combatant has been around for long time and people are tired of talking about arsenal ships but they are still talked about because they are still relevant.   not considering such now maybe an unaffordable oversight. (just replace the VLS w/ Vertical guns  :)

Offline litzj

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • BLOG : http://jaesan-aero.blogspot.kr/
Idea or attempt is good, however balance between cost and effectiveness should be carefully considered.

Sealing for submersible vehicle is not cheap task for big ship (radar, external guns, antenna, hanger for helo)

Offline jsport

Idea or attempt is good, however balance between cost and effectiveness should be carefully considered.

Sealing for submersible vehicle is not cheap task for big ship (radar, external guns, antenna, hanger for helo)
yes, huge issues and most likely only semi-submers even makes sense and they would big big cost for sure.  The alternative though is maintain a staid maritime manufacturing culture which loses.

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
EMRG mount funding.

Offline Moose

EMRG mount funding.
Still don't know why this wasn't in last year, but nice to see it now.