Register here

Author Topic: General Dynamics ATF  (Read 20006 times)

Offline Nils_D

• CLEARANCE: Secret
General Dynamics ATF
« on: October 07, 2012, 04:30:41 am »
Found this in the other thread and thought it looked really cool with it's Batwing-like appearance so here's a stab at modelling it in 3D.

As an aside, does anyone know if drawings were ever produced showing the layout of the landing gear and weapons carriage, or should I assume these to be similar to what we saw on the YF-22 (since the fuselage contours are kind of similar)?

Offline Kryptid

• Unbuilt Aircraft Projects on Facebook.
Re: General Dynamics ATF
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:37:31 am »
Looks pretty neat, but it seems to be missing some details on the wing trailing edge.
Jesus is coming soon. Be prepared for Him.

Offline Nils_D

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:25:22 am »
Yeah those pod thingies. What you see is just a couple hours worth of work getting the main shape blocked out. The intention is to add all the details to it and then import it into a suitable sim engine like SF2.

Offline Nils_D

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 12:46:21 pm »
More stuff.

Offline Sundog

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 05:58:10 pm »
I think you're safe in assuming the landing gear design is similar to the YF-22's, as IIRC, the gear design for the YF-22/F-22 came from the GD submission, in terms of having low to the ground for crewman to work on from the ground. Their paper on easily maintainable fighters has a similar stance. It's the GD configuration 700, which you can search here at SP. It might be in a GD ATF/Pre-ATF thread.

Here you go GD Config 700. I'm sure it's elsewhere on here in other threads as well, but you just need the pics for ref. I mean you can see how low to the ground it is. I think the gear on the GD ATF works more like the F-22's though, do the missile bay requirements for the ATF.

Nice model, I'd love to fly it in FSX.

BTW, which modeling package are using? Max, Rhino3D?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:03:29 pm by Sundog »

Offline Nils_D

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 02:17:59 pm »
I wonder if it has a YF-22 type weapon bay or a rotary bay like on the Lockheed ATF submission.

Offline quellish

• Top Contributor
  • I am not actually here.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 04:47:34 pm »
I wonder if it has a YF-22 type weapon bay or a rotary bay like on the Lockheed ATF submission.

Coming along nicely!
I thought there was a GD patent related to the weapons bay, but I was not able to find it.

Offline Sundog

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 04:53:34 pm »
Given the similarities of the lower fuselage design, I think they were probably alike. I would say make some inlet ducts similar to the F-22's and look at what volume you need for the main gear to retract and see if there is anough room for sidewinders on the sides and AMRAAMs on the bottom. It's hard for me to tell, because I don't have a dimensional reference in front of me right now for this design. That's one of the design aspects I found interesting about the GD submission. It probably looks smaller than it actually is.

Offline Nils_D

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 12:24:18 pm »
Started painting some textures. My main reference so far is YF-22 photos.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 12:41:20 pm »
Thats awesome. Note that General Dynamics never finalised the vertical tail design as they couldn't make it work - therefore a production GD ATF would have to have a different vertical tail arrangement.

Its obvious how much F-16XL DNA went into this design.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:42:54 pm by PaulMM »
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Nils_D

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 01:20:10 pm »
Thanks! The canopy on this thing is pretty huge. I used the YF-22 and 23s as scale reference so this thing has a span of about 13.5 meters with 18.5 meters long, so about the size of an F-15. Even then it's pretty tricky to find the space for 6 missiles. And I have no idea where they put the gun since they used the LERX to fit the radar arrays.

Offline Hamzalippischh

• Shapeways shop
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 05:07:18 am »
Great work  ;), i just want to know what kind of software you use for modelling

"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything."
Nikola Tesla

Offline Nils_D

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 07:59:28 am »
3dsmax and photoshop.

Offline Hamzalippischh

• Shapeways shop
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 08:25:55 am »
Thanks Nils, i'm also an airplane modeler here is my topic in this forum :
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16147.0/all.html
i think you are also in military-meshes, anyway what i want to know is how did attempt to model those hard edges in this aircraft because i want to model a Stealth UAV designed by me and it has hard edges.

thanks again
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything."
Nikola Tesla

Offline Nils_D

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 12:06:24 pm »
Nah, I don't post at military meshes. Either way, modelling the hard edges is pretty simple: Use different smoothing groups and/or add extra edges to bevel edges that need to be smooth yet sharp. Also if you use meshsmooth you can check "use smoothing groups" and it will keep those edges hard while smoothing the rest.