JMR (Joint Multi-Role) & FVL (Future Vertical Lift) Programs

yasotay said:
Mike makes a great point. JMR is ONLY a rotorcraft technology demonstration effort to inform a FVL program. When the FVL program is put on the streets for proposals it will be a completely new effort that all companies will be able to make proposals against.

It is true that JMR itself is a technology demonstrator. part of the reason it's going this way is that Army wants to avoid the Comanche situation where a new airframe and new avionics/systems were being developed simultaneously. So what they're doing is deciding on the airframe and its technology first, and then independently selecting the systems technology. That's one of the reasons it's going to take so long. This brings up a point: They could actually select two technologies, maybe one for certain sizes/missions and another for others. Sikorsky sort of implied that in its scalability discussion a while back.

That said, the operational vehicle Army's going for first is the Medium, replacing the UH-60 and AH-64.. While theoretically any company could win FVL medium once Army decides on the technology, realistically whoever has the winning technology will have (as they say on MasterChef) " a HUGE Advantage". The implication is, win JMR and you have the inside track for the first class of operational vehicle, although Army may demand teaming. That's the big carrot out there, and why companies are so far willing to put up substantial coin. If Karem or Bell won, for example, it's not likely that AVX could mount a creditable bid for FVL-Medium. Boeing appears to be playing the long game and positioning itself to bid or team on almost anything that emerges victorious.

It's also likely that what the companies are proposing for JMR will pretty much be the foundation for whatever they propose for FVL Medium. I believe the companies have even said as much saying their demonstrator will be a 92% scale or full size version version of their operational proposal. If you're going to be building a demonstrator anyway, why later on reinvent the wheel? Might as well make it so that you can leverage your JMR for your bid for the operational vehicle. Compared to anyone else, you'd have another "HUGE Advantage"

Attachments

• hugeadv.jpg
    hugeadv.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 435
VTOLicious said:
In regards of fuselage-tail taper:

This illustrates the question I'm asking: prior to 2010 or so, X2 depictions showed the engines/mast in the same location as in a conventional helo. Since then, they're showing the mast assembly moved aft. Any particular reason? Pre-2010 concepts below (they're elsewhere on the forum, I just repeated 'em here for convenience).

Attachments

• x2cgmsl.jpg
    x2cgmsl.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 97
  • x2cmrcl.JPG
    x2cmrcl.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 97
  • x2jhl.jpg
    x2jhl.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 443
I suspect that the dynamic component and likely significant vibration dampning apparatus take us more space than they thought it would take.

F-14D said:
This illustrates the question I'm asking: prior to 2010 or so, X2 depictions showed the engines/mast in the same location as in a conventional helo. Since then, they're showing the mast assembly moved aft. Any particular reason? Pre-2010 concepts below (they're elsewhere on the forum, I just repeated 'em here for convenience).

The side views of the patent design drawings allow a more objective comparison. I cannot identify any significant difference between the 2005 and 2012 design layout...even the XH-59A had a forward fuselage which is unusually long for a helicopter (1975).

Edit: second pic attached

Attachments

• design comparison.png
    design comparison.png
    199.5 KB · Views: 865
  • design comparison_a.png
    design comparison_a.png
    474.2 KB · Views: 822
I'm not 100% sure, but on S-97 the engine is buried within the fuselage, aft of the cg. The transmission occupies more or less all the volume under the rotor. That means all your payload has to go ahead of the cg, hence (i believe) the longer nose.
As to why the engines are buried as opposed to on top of the cabin, i can only assume that the drag hit of exposed nacelles at 250 kts militates against such an installation, but there may be additional reasons of entirely different nature.

VTOLicious said:
F-14D said:

The side views of the patent design drawings allow a more objective comparison. I cannot identify any significant difference between the 2005 and 2012 design layout...even the XH-59A had a forward fuselage which is unusually long for a helicopter (1975).

The XH-59 was an experimental craft, so I wasn't concerned with that one.

The patent drawings are notional and generic, but even there the 2005 drawing shows cabin (and possible baggage access?) space available underneath the mast, whereas 2012's shows nothing there. As you can see in those pics I posted, the earlier concepts all showed usable space (indicated by windows, among other things) under the mast. The more recent concepts show that space being all forward. If the cabin/payload bay could be under the mast like conventional helos or earlier concepts, they could have a shorter vehicle and/or more efficient use of space. So I'm still wondering what's changed...

AeroFranz said:
I'm not 100% sure, but on S-97 the engine is buried within the fuselage, aft of the cg. The transmission occupies more or less all the volume under the rotor. That means all your payload has to go ahead of the cg, hence (i believe) the longer nose.
As to why the engines are buried as opposed to on top of the cabin, i can only assume that the drag hit of exposed nacelles at 250 kts militates against such an installation, but there may be additional reasons of entirely different nature.

A good idea, maybe they found they needed more drag reduction than they thought would have needed earlier for the S-97's 220 knot cruise. But I also notice that on the Defiant, which is actualy slightly faster, the engine housings aren't buried in the fuselage, in fact part of them extend over the cabin. but the mast is still aft. If this is a necessary feature of the technology, it could be an explanation for why Sikorsky said X2 wouldn't scale well above medium size.

One possible (and totally unsubstantiated) explanation could be that for the scout role cabin "volumetric efficiency" is not a priority. For a utility helicopter, it is, so maybe they traded the increased drag and power requirements for better cabin usability?

Artist's impressions of AVX Aircraft JMR concepts.

Source:
http://www.avxaircraft.com/media-gallery/

NOTE: Larger versions of these images may be found at the AVX Aircraft website

Attachments

• 2013-0830_Attack-layout.jpg
    2013-0830_Attack-layout.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 14seatsComposite.jpg
    14seatsComposite.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 121
  • MediaGalleryAVXutility.jpg
    MediaGalleryAVXutility.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 99
  • avxAttack.jpg
    avxAttack.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 4SS_AVX_JMR_WeaponsCutaway.jpg
    4SS_AVX_JMR_WeaponsCutaway.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 474
  • AVX-JMR_TroopSeatsCutaway.jpg
    AVX-JMR_TroopSeatsCutaway.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 489
  • 14TroopsFloorPlan.jpg
    14TroopsFloorPlan.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 516
Thanks a lot Triton for sharing these, i really love the AVX project , i hope they win the JMR program.

regards

pedro

AeroFranz said:
One possible (and totally unsubstantiated) explanation could be that for the scout role cabin "volumetric efficiency" is not a priority. For a utility helicopter, it is, so maybe they traded the increased drag and power requirements for better cabin usability?

But even on the utility submission, the Defiant, the mast is still located aft of the cabin. This is discussed i more detail over on the X2 topic. Triton and Yasotay came up with a good rationale.

Some of this was already presented by the article quoted by yasotay on August 5, 2013.

"Lockheed Martin to offer MEP package for US Army JMR/FVL"
05 August 2013 - 16:29 by the Shephard News Team

Source:
http://www.shephardmedia.com/news/rotorhub/lockheed-martin-offer-mep-package-us-army-jmrfvl/

Lockheed Martin will offer a mission equipment package (MEP) solution to meet requirements for the Joint Multi-Role/Future Vertical Lift (JMR/FVL) rotary wing programme, the company has announced.

In a statement, the company said it had integrated mission equipment components and subsystems into a wide variety of US Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and international rotary- and fixed-wing programmes, including developing, manufacturing, integrating, fielding and sustaining the M-TADS/PNVS, Hellfire, F-35 Electro-optical Targeting System, Target Sight System, SH/MH-60, Merlin and A-10.

It said it would draw on this experience to develop an 'affordable, dependable solution' for multiple customers with an architecture and future airborne capability environment (FACE) software design.

Ed Whalen, Lockheed Martin's rotary wing capture lead, said: ‘Working with the JMR customer, we look forward to providing a highly adaptable package that can be applied across multiple platforms.

‘The US Department of Defense [DoD] and Lockheed Martin have invested billions of dollars to create advanced technology mission equipment packages, such as that in the F-35 Lightning II. The JMR programme offers the opportunity for the US Army to leverage this investment and many others in its vertical lift programme through open architectures and Lockheed Martin's advanced avionics, sensors and weapons.’

The company said that by incorporating the DoD’s FACE-software standards into cockpit and mission systems, it will improve the affordability and growth potential of the MEP throughout its life cycle. The use of the FACE standard for the software design will also provide the US Army advanced flexibility for reuse across multiple aviation platforms.

Of note in the press release LM has not specified that Bell is the only option for their mission equipment package.

yasotay said:
Of note in the press release LM has not specified that Bell is the only option for their mission equipment package.

Lockheed in the past has said they're willing to develop a mission package for any JMR candidate but so far, only Bell has taken them up on their offer.

I included this article so that we might speculate and discuss what the Mission Equipment Package (MEP) might look like in the FVL/JMR program and what technologies in the F-35 Lightning II might be leveraged. For example, the Adacel cockpit speech recognition system that would allow direct voice input (DVI) for the pilot? A system similar to the Northrop Grumman AN/AAQ-37 electro-optical Distributed Aperture System (DAS) with infrared sensors on the rotorcraft and helmet mounted display (HMD)?

"Navy to Work with Army on Next Generation Helicopter Program"
by Dave Majumdar
December 23, 2013

Source:
http://news.usni.org/2013/12/24/navy-work-army-next-generation-helicopter-program

The U.S. Navy is participating in the U.S. Army’s Future Vertical Lift (FVL) program to develop an eventual replacement for its Sikorsky MH-60R and MH-60S Seahawk fleets.

“We’re looking out into the future as well to see what we want to have,” Rear Adm. Mike Manazir, the Navy’s director of air warfare, told USNI News in a Dec. 20 interview.
“Our participation in the Future Vertical Lift effort is to marinize the high-end technology that is out there.”

The FVL program aims to develop a family of high-speed rotorcraft that are much faster and have far greater range than existing helicopters for the 2030s.

Four industry teams led by Sikorsky, Bell, Karem and AVX are designing aircraft under the Army’s Joint Multi-Role (JMR) precursor program to refine their concepts.

Bell and Karem are focusing their efforts on building tilt-rotor designs similar in concept to the Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey.

Meanwhile, Sikorsky and AVX are developing compound helicopters with coaxial rotors and pusher-props.

Eventually, two of the teams will be selected to build prototypes that are expected to fly in 2017.

The Navy has to be involved from the early phases of the program because of the inherent requirements of shipboard operations.

“You can bring a lot of that technology to a rotor, but when you try to fit it on an LCS or DDG, you’ve got to make sure it’s going to fit.”

The Navy is very happy with its current fleet of helicopters. In fact, the service is increasing the firepower of the MH-60S to make it more effective as a combat aircraft in the anti-surface warfare role. Likewise, the service is happy with the performance of the antisubmarine MH-60R.

But the production line for the MH-60 is going to be shutdown in 2016 under current plans, Manazir said.

The MH-60 will remain in service into the 2030s, but those helicopters will eventually have to be replaced around that time, he said.

Same applies here as I commented on in the MXX thread. If it does not fit on existing ships and has two engines, I think the USN will have little interest.

"Pentagon moving ahead with new vertical lift aircraft"
by Andrea Shalal

Source:
http://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-moving-ahead-vertical-lift-aircraft-044714179--sector.html

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama (Reuters) - The Pentagon is committed to early design work on a new aircraft that will replace thousands of helicopters now used by the U.S. military, its first "clean sheet design" program in years, the Army official heading the effort said on Friday.

Dan Bailey, a former Apache helicopter pilot who heads the "future vertical lift" program and the research effort under way to explore possible approaches, said there was no push to reduce funding for the program, despite pressure on nearly every other arms program in the Pentagon's portfolio.

"The science and technology effort is supported 100 percent," Bailey told reporters at a conference hosted by the Association of the U.S. Army, an Army booster group. "That's significant on its own. There is no other portfolio that is not feeling a significant cut."

U.S. weapons makers have expressed concern that big cuts in military spending could undermine the program, one of very few new research and development efforts seen in decades, but Army officials last week said the effort was a key priority.

Army acquisition chief Heidi Shyu and General Dennis Via, who heads Army Materiel Command, both underscored their support for the program in speeches at the conference.

Bailey said Pentagon budget officials left funding intact for the "joint multirole" technology demonstration project, the precursor to the future vertical lift aircraft, a program that analysts say could be worth upwards of $100 billion.

He said the Pentagon expected to spend $354 million between 2011 and 2019 on the science and technology phase, but declined to estimate what the later development program would be worth.

Current plans call for an analysis of possible approaches for the new rotorcraft in 2016 or 2017, followed by a decision to move forward around 2018 and a contract award around 2020.

Ultimately, the program will replace between 2,000-4,000 medium class UH-60 Black Hawk utility helicopters built by Sikorsky Aircraft, a unit of United Technologies Corp and Boeing Co AH-64 attack helicopters after 2030.

He said details were still being worked out for funding the subsequent production program, but it would not require major funding until it enters production around 2029 or 2030.

LEARNING FROM MISTAKES

The Army last year chose four industry teams to do early work on concepts for a new vertical lift aircraft, and will winnow the field later this year, although it insists that the actual production program will involve another competition.

The four are Textron Inc's Bell Helicopter unit, which is teamed with Lockheed Martin Corp; Sikorsky, teamed with Boeing; AVX Aircraft and Karem Aircraft.

Bailey told Reuters in an interview later that his office was trying to learn from mistakes made on earlier complex arms programs, including Lockheed's F-35 fighter program, which is also being developed for use by a number of military services.

He said the key to success was starting early and working closely with industry to understand what technology solutions were possible, rather than pre-determining the outcome.

The Army is focused heavily on getting affordable aircraft that will be cheaper and easier to maintain than current helicopters, he said.

The program also works closely with the "Vertical Lift Consortium," an industry group that includes a broad array of suppliers involved in the sector. Bailey said members of the group's executive board participate in high-level meetings on the program at the Pentagon, along with senior officers.

"We want to make sure that we're a team; that we're all aligned and that we're moving in the same direction," he said. "We understand that if we don't have that industrial partner base, then the next-generation vertical lift will not be available to us 60 years from now."

He said work on the technology concepts was already re-energizing industry, prompting companies to hire new engineers, and revamp and update their computer-based design tools.

"This is the next big thing," said Sam Mehta, president of Sikorsky's Defense Systems and Services division.

He said Sikorsky's collaboration with Boeing on the program was going well. "We are developing things with Boeing that neither of us could have developed on our own or in the same period of time."

Found this advertisement in the best rotorcraft magazine available (Vertiflight). Thought I would pass it on. Interesting concept from one of the non-traditional vendors.

Attachments

• AVX.jpg
    AVX.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 657
New video and picture by Graham Warwick, the Woracle.

AVX Aircraft video detailing the configuration and benefits of its Coaxial Compound Helicopter concept, proposed for the US Army's Joint Multi Role (JMR) technology demonstration in 2017 and follow-on Future Vertical Lift (FVL) Medium advanced rotorcraft to replace the UH-60 Black Hawk from the mid-2030s.
http://youtu.be/pms7HxH1F-o
Code:
http://youtu.be/pms7HxH1F-o
Graham Warwick ‏@TheWoracle 16 Std.
Look inside AVX Aircraft's Coaxial Compound Helicopter concept for @USArmy JMR/FVL Black Hawk replacement pic.twitter.com/lrxkS2XteF
Source: https://twitter.com/TheWoracle/status/463372589617152001/photo/1

Attachments

• AVX-JMR-FVL_GrahamWarwick.jpg
    AVX-JMR-FVL_GrahamWarwick.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 499
Great video and picture,thanks a lot for sharing.

regards

pedro

Evil thought of the day:

Those bottom weapon doors look big enough to drop a Mk54 or AShM through.

2nd evil thought for the day - Metal Storm

I remember those extending weapon pylons from the early Osprey program. Not surprising since AVX is a bunch of former Bell engineers.

Moose said:
I remember those extending weapon pylons from the early Osprey program.

Ingesting plume and maybe even debris, that results from firing rockets may not be a good idea,
so positions for weapons pylons are limited, I think.

Two things I think regarding weapon placement. As mentioned limited terrain on the side of the aircraft, with those big fans at the back. Then they mention high commonality so going through the bottom of the aircraft likely reduces the amount of modification needed to turn the core airframe into an attack variant.

Only bad news is that I don't think the attack pilots are going to be keen on having rockets and missiles pointed at the back of their heads.

yasotay said:
Only bad news is that I don't think the attack pilots are going to be keen on having rockets and missiles pointed at the back of their heads.

LOL. Maybe they could replace them with vertical weapons storage (nose down) and have a 90 degrees swinging arm to lower the weapons into the airstream. Would solve the accidental discharge into the back of the aircrew problem and be more space efficient allowing a larger number of weapons launchers to be fitted.

Abe Karem, president of Karem Aircraft, is shown here beside the Karem Future Vertical Lift aircraft mockup at the two-day Army Aviation Association of America 2014 Mission Solutions Summit at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville, May 6, 2014.

Source:
http://www.army.mil/article/125578/Aviators_eager_to_witness_birth_of_Future_Vertical_Lift_aircraft/

Attachments

• size0.jpg
    size0.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 462
Army Protects Funding For Advanced Rotorcraft"

Staying on track with technology demonstration is critical to U.S. Army helo replacement agenda
Mar 3, 2014 | Aviation Week & Space Technology

Source:
http://aviationweek.com/awin/army-protects-funding-advanced-rotorcraft

It may be decades away, but the U.S. Army is working to protect the plan to replace its massive fleet of Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawks from near-term budget cutting that could derail the program. While facing major reductions in force structure, the Army is spending money to develop the technology, define the requirements and decide what is affordable in a future rotorcraft.

Despite the budget pressures, the service remains on track to begin the acquisition process for an advanced rotorcraft to replace its Black Hawk medium utility helicopters starting in the mid-2030s, says the official leading the effort. A materiel development decision, formally launching the acquisition process, is scheduled for August 2015, says Dan Bailey, the Army's newly appointed Joint MultiRole/Future Vertical Lift (JMR/FVL) program director.

Already underway, the JMR technology demonstration is a precursor to the planned FVL Medium program to develop and produce a replacement for the Black Hawk and H-60 variants operated by the U.S. Navy and Air Force, the single largest helicopter fleet within the Defense Department.

Following the kick-off in 2015, the Army plans an analysis of alternatives that will run through 2016-17 and lead to a Milestone A decision in 2018 “on initiating a program of record for the TD [technology development] phase,” says Bailey.
[Sikorsky/Boeing's proposed JMR demonstrator will be bigger than Sikorsky's S-97 Raider, but still subscale to reduce cost.]
Sikorsky/Boeing's proposed JMR demonstrator will be bigger than Sikorsky's S-97 Raider, but still subscale to reduce cost.

The TD phase is planned to involve a fly-off between competitive “Y-plane” prototypes and lead to an engineering and manufacturing development program beginning around 2023. Initial operational capability for the FVL Medium is planned for 2034.

The Army believes a new rotorcraft is needed to close the capability shortfalls identified in its helicopter fleet, such as hot-and-high performance. To demonstrate technologies to close those gaps, the $354 million JMR program includes air-vehicle and avionics-architecture demos. Among the capabilities the Army believes it needs are higher speed—at least 230 kt.—greater payload, better hover performance, and self-deployment capability, but it must decide what it can afford.

“The business case analysis will begin late next year and inform the decision on do we upgrade the H-60 again and push FVL out or do we do FVL now,” Bailey says. “The way we get there is [to ask]: Do the technologies give us the capabilities to satisfy the gaps and is it affordable?” Wary that other programs have not delivered on affordability promises, the Army is working with the Joint Strike Fighter team and think-tank Rand, which has been critical of joint programs, to understand the pitfalls.

“FVL will be a bit more expensive than today's aircraft, but we can buy that back in life-cycle cost,” says Bailey. “The Army's logistics are set up on the evolution of the existing fleet and constrained by legacy designs. With FVL, we can open the door to changing the way we maintain our aircraft.”

Under JMR, four teams are working on concepts for air-vehicle demonstrators: AVX Aircraft with a coaxial-rotor/ducted-fan winged compound helicopter; Bell Helicopter with a tiltrotor; Karem Aircraft with a variable-speed tiltrotor; and Sikorsky/Boeing with a rigid coaxial-rotor/pusher-propeller design.

Component preliminary design reviews have begun, and initial design and risk reviews with the four teams are planned for June, after which the Army will decide how to proceed. The baseline strategy is to take only two of the demonstrator designs to flight-test in 2017, but Bailey says there could be other options.

All four teams have signed cost-sharing “technology investment agreements” for the entire JMR air-vehicle demonstration to 2019, committing to put substantial industry funding into the program. “We know we will have to descope those agreements based on the funding allocated today from four full vendor programs to something less,” says Bailey.

“We know we have funding today, based on what we negotiated, that would allow two of them to fully build and flight-test their vehicles. That is our minimum. But it is not our only course of action,” he says. “If our knowledge is enhanced by having each of them do something, then that is part of the discussion.”

Funding for two vehicles is predicated on 100 flight hours for each demonstrator. “Maybe we need something less, which would open up some additional funding. Maybe we do not need to build a full vehicle for one of them; maybe we need to build a smaller-scale one to put in the wind tunnel,” he says. “I would not say that anybody will be completely off the table.”

Even if they do not make it past July, teams will not be out of the game, Bailey stresses. “It is not a downselect. We are not buying a prototype that will turn into the FVL. JMR is not preselecting an FVL solution,” he says, noting the Army's requirements have already evolved from those set 18 months ago for JMR. “FVL will be a separate solicitation, with separate requirements.”

The JMR mission-system architecture demonstration, running two years behind the air-vehicle demo, is not developing a mission equipment package for the FVL. “It is way too early in the game, for an aircraft that starts production in 2030, to decide what kind of stuff you will have in it. Technology will change drastically over the next 17 years. We will probably not pick the mission system until the 2025 timeframe,” he says.

The goal of the avionics demo is “to put in place a robust, enduring, flexible and open architecture,” Bailey says. The Joint Common Architecture (JCA) will be built on the Future Airborne Capabilities Environment (FACE) standard for portable and reusable software. Plans call for two teams to build FACE-compliant JCA laboratory systems to prove that third-party software modules can run on independent implementations of the architecture standard for FVL. “We want to be able to take an app from this aircraft and apply it to that aircraft,” he says.

Despite budget pressures that have forced a reorganization of Army aviation, support for JMR/FVL remains strong, says Bailey. “We feel no budget reduction pressure for the JMR program. What was allocated is still there, while there is no other program that is not feeling a significant cut.

Attachments

• AW_03_03_2014_747.jpg
    AW_03_03_2014_747.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 680
Moose said:
I remember those extending weapon pylons from the early Osprey program. Not surprising since AVX is a bunch of former Bell engineers.

Well, if it worked for Airwolf...

I found this picture on the American Helicopter Society Facebook. Shows the Karen JMR/FVL concepts for both utility and attack versions of their design.

Attachments

• IMG_20140524_084719.jpg
    IMG_20140524_084719.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 404
The attack version is aviation pornography! Hope they build a demonstrator

Mat Parry said:
The attack version is aviation pornography! Hope they build a demonstrator
;D I was thinking the same thought when I saw the picture.

The Attack version reminds me of the Bell BAT concept from the 80s.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 340
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 329
I think both designs from karem look amazing. Certainly more beautiful than "the thing" from bell