Register here

Author Topic: JMR (Joint Multi-Role) & FVL (Future Vertical Lift) Programs  (Read 318721 times)

Offline Hood

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: JMR (Joint Multi-Role) & FVL (Future Vertical Lift) Programs
« Reply #960 on: March 12, 2019, 02:10:51 am »
Not sure what the fuss is about, the Airbus RACER has pusher props.

Online sferrin

« Reply #961 on: March 12, 2019, 04:35:24 am »
Those outboard props nake it non starter for military in -extremis ops.

I don't see why those would be any worse than the tail pusher in the Sikorsky designs, as I'm sure they would be disengaged on the ground.

Their configuration needs at least one prop turning for anti-torque. Even if you shut it down on the ground, it would require time to spin down. And it would require time to get both rotors and propulsors back up to speed.

Sikorski's fan is on a clutch, and they can disengage it in flight in descent.  Just as importantly, it also isn't sitting right outside the cabin.

This.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline yasotay

« Reply #962 on: March 12, 2019, 06:52:39 am »
Rule #1 in combat:  If it can go wrong, it will.  Aircrews trying to talk on three radios, land in the dark with 20/200 vision, while dodging ground fire.  Kids who have been awake, running on adrenaline for 24-36 hours, trying not to get shot looking for a ride out of hell.  What could go wrong.  I do not see the Airbus Racer being popular with military pilots who do the air transport missions.  Attack helicopters - maybe.

Offline Hood

« Reply #963 on: March 12, 2019, 07:48:10 am »
This.

I wasn't saying it was a good idea, I was just pointing out some previous posts implied the RACER had tractor props when in fact they are pushers.

From the concept artwork it seems the propellers are located roughly just ahead of the turboshaft exhausts, so behind the cabin, presumably to help cut down on cabin noise. The diameter is small, but of course on the ground in a military scenario they would be an obstacle.
For FARA, which is mainly for scouting and attack (with a minmum 6 person transport role) the tradeoff might be worthwhile.

Offline TomcatViP

• Hellcat
« Reply #964 on: March 14, 2019, 04:40:54 pm »
Well they do say, if you can keep your head when everyone around you is losing theirs, then perhaps you should land your helicopter somewhere less crowded.

Great one.  ;D

Offline RavenOne

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #965 on: March 18, 2019, 10:43:31 pm »
MD Helicopters are developing a winged variant of the MD902 Explorer for the Future Attack Reconnaissance Aircraft (FARA) programme with a revised NOTAR system, twin ITEP turboshafts and a wing with control surfaces as well as hardpoints.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/hai-md-helicopters-developing-winged-md902-as-us-ar-456369/

I attended Heli Expo a fortnight ago so here are my photos of their armed MD969 Combat Explorer ...

Offline seruriermarshal

« Reply #966 on: March 21, 2019, 05:22:14 pm »
SB1 Defiant aircraft has officially completed its first flight!

Offline Sundog

« Reply #967 on: March 21, 2019, 06:11:11 pm »
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:14:24 pm by Sundog »