If you have Windows 8, then definitely yes. If you have Windows 7, it's a bit more subjective.

I had an issue where Intel didn't have drivers available for Windows 10 for the integrated graphics in their CPUs, which then caused Windows 10 to crash, but that was fixed by uninstalling those drivers and disabling the integrated graphics in the BIOS. Other than that it's been pretty smooth sailing. One minor neat feature is that the start menu / Cortana works as a calculator and converter; so converting kg to lb or USD to GBP or CAD, etc is done just by hitting the start menu button and typing in the query. Windows 10 does give you less control over certain aspects of security and can potentially be more intrusive, but I'm personally not too concerned about it; I don't believe that Windows 7 or Vista or XP would be that much more secure to malicious hackers, if at all, and if you're paranoid about the NSA or whomever getting your data, you're probably a few years too late and aren't going to stop them by staying on an older version of Windows.

Windows 7 at work and all my home computers. Don't like all thr real estate 10 takes up or the "help".

Operating systems... meh. I've used lots of em over the years, AmigaDOS was cool, Solaris OK, Windows 2000 was pretty cool in its day. Windows 10 is a lightly modified Windows 8.1 ("8.2") with a pointless reversion back to a pretend "start menu" that has no advantage at all over the 8.1 "start screen". If you do upgrade, its very unlikely to change your life. By the time Windows 7 is out of support, you'll need to buy a new computer anyway.

I use Ubuntu, MacOS, Android and assorted Windows versions every day, it's all very much of a muchness.

Windows 10 has one big disadvantage: it reports everything you do to Microsoft. Worse, much of this cannot be disabled unless you have the Enterprise edition.

ehh... what is Windows 10 ?

Ironic question from old Mac OS user

Hobbes said:
Windows 10 has one big disadvantage: it reports everything you do to Microsoft. Worse, much of this cannot be disabled unless you have the Enterprise edition.
Agreed. More gripes:
- previous Windows versions allow you to decide when to download updates. W10 Home edition seems to allow that if the computer has a wireless connection, set to 'metered'. Connection by cable - no such luck. If you don't force update downloads (which takes ages, as always with Windows): downloading will start at the most inopportune times, slowing other traffic to a crawl.
- some software that runs fine on W7 and W8 refuses to run on W10.

My computers are dual-boot - Ubuntu-16.04 and W10. I upgraded the Ubuntu/W8-laptop because W8 has, in my experience, the worst interface MS has ever dreamed up. I upgraded the Ubuntu/W7-desktop because my computers have very long lives, and I wanted to assure myself of as many future updates from MS as I could. Definitely not because W10 is better than W7 in use - it isn't.

10 offers minor improvements over 8.1

I may be being reactionary but I prefered the old style desktop on XP , you could put everything your wanted onto the desktop in a layout that suited you rather than having to scroll through the lists; horizontal or vertical.

What browser would you gentlemen recommend, up to now I've always used Explorer, but I have been considering using Chrome? Your opinions please.

Regards.

I like Firefox for its add-ons.

I would recommend Chrome 32 bit (as the 64 bit application is less worked on).

Just a PSA, you should read this: http://siliconangle.com/blog/2016/08/01/windows-10-anniversary-update-will-prevent-pro-edition-users-from-disabling-microsofts-ads/

Thanks for the warning, if it's a bit too late, as two of my computers have Windows 10 installed. The other is very finicky about updates, for some reason. I'm almost thankful for this, as it is my flightsim rig.

Here we go again...

ComputerHolyWars01.jpg

ComputerHolyWars02.gif

Received email at work the last week that the entire place is switching to Windows 10. Should be interesting.

Here goes.

Attachments

• distant planet.png
    distant planet.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 71
As an experienced Windows 10 user, I would like to express that it is indeed worth upgrading. The user interface is modern and polished, and the performance is commendable. Additionally, with regular updates and security patches, you can ensure a secure and stable operating system. If you're looking for a legitimate Windows key, you may want to explore threads on Reddit that discuss reliable sources for purchasing Windows keys. Overall, I would recommend upgrading to Windows 10 for a seamless and secure computing experience. You can also check out reddit windows key for great offers that would allow you to get cheaper keys.

Last edited: