Wilford/Pennsylvania Aircraft Syndicate projects

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Here is the Wilford Heli-Gyro, described as "a streamlined version of the Focke Helicopter" (Fw 61)... to which Wilford answered that “[w]e are not trying to copy Mr. Focke’s word in any way, but I am just interested in seeing that rigid feathering blades are used in the helicopter field as well in the gyro field.”

Attachments

• Wilford Heli-Gyro.gif
    Wilford Heli-Gyro.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 937
Here is a better version of the three-view arrangement (don't remember the source):

Attachments

• P.A.S. Convertaplane.gif
    P.A.S. Convertaplane.gif
    55.2 KB · Views: 767
Please remember that all the Wilford designs were done on behalf of the Pennsylvania Aircraft Syndicate (there never was a Wilford company).

Here is another of his "convertiplane" designs based on an aircraft evocative of the Bell Airacobra (this was in the famous "German" helicopter files...):

Attachments

• Wilford project.jpg
    Wilford project.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 724
Stargazer said:
Here is a better version of the three-view arrangement (don't remember the source):

Very clear drawing,thank you Stargazer.

hesham said:
Very clear drawing,thank you Stargazer.

Just found the source. It was in this post: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19837.msg202197.html#msg202197

Skyblazer said:
Here is the Wilford Heli-Gyro, described as "a streamlined version of the Focke Helicopter" (Fw 61)... to which Wilford answered that “[w]e are not trying to copy Mr. Focke’s word in any way, but I am just interested in seeing that rigid feathering blades are used in the helicopter field as well in the gyro field.”

Hi Skyblazer,

maybe the same concept but with a little different in configuration.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=HigDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=POPULAR+SCIENCE+1934&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDgQ6AEwB2oVChMIqYC1kP7kxwIVCQQaCh0xbAvB#v=onepage&q&f=false

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 68
  • 2.png
    2.png
    476.3 KB · Views: 86
Skyblazer said:

Hi,

anther artist drawing to Wilford Heli-Gyro.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=nykDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=POPULAR+SCIENCE+1939&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDcQ6AEwB2oVChMIqb68mZeNyAIVhbNyCh1WwwKK#v=onepage&q&f=false

Attachments

• Wilford.png
    Wilford.png
    583.5 KB · Views: 75
Hi,

here is a Wilford Flying-Wing design with single large rotor for lift.

https://books.google.com.eg/books?id=nykDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA125&dq=focke+helicopter+popular+science+1939&hl=ar&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiw74bq5vTKAhWDOxoKHVuADsAQ6AEIGzAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Attachments

• Wilford.png
    Wilford.png
    311.3 KB · Views: 94
Hi,

here is a drawing to Wilford Gyroplane from Pennsylvania Aircraft Syndicate Co.

http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19320401/40/2

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 90
Hi,

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Ala%20d'Italia/L'ALA%20D'ITALIA%201939%2003.pdf

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    479.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 2.png
    2.png
    503.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 3.png
    3.png
    530.4 KB · Views: 76
Hi,

http://kulturserver-nds.de/home/hubtest/medien/Neg.Nr.GUN.pdf

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 72

Attachments

• US1772586-drawings-page-2.png
    US1772586-drawings-page-2.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 58
  • US1957813-drawings-page-1.png
    US1957813-drawings-page-1.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 51
  • US2108839-drawings-page-2.png
    US2108839-drawings-page-2.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 49
  • US1772586-drawings-page-1.png
    US1772586-drawings-page-1.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 59

Attachments

• WG-3.jpg
    WG-3.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Observation.jpg
    Observation.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 55
  • Observation II.jpg
    Observation II.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Observation III.jpg
    Observation III.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Gyroplane.jpg
    Gyroplane.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Airliner.jpg
    Airliner.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Sedan.jpg
    Sedan.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Jet.jpg
    Jet.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 67
and if someone can make them clearer ?.

There's only so much that can be *easily* done with these since there is so much contrast in them due to being folded like that. Especially when you work with the low-rez preview images rather than the full-rez versions (the "airliner" blueprint, for example, is 13,014X 10,000 pixels and 10.96 megabytes, *far* larger than the dinky 730X560 pixel version you posted). The best thing for them is likely to re-draft them. A tiny crop from the airliner:

Attachments

• wcuburke_57_crop.jpg
    wcuburke_57_crop.jpg
    919.7 KB · Views: 54
Hi,

the Wilford aircraft project,as normal airplane (without Floats).

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k65558715/f5.image
This looks a LOT like the CW-19/23 series.

Yes, this concept was based on the Curtiss-Wright 19-R. However, this was not, strictly-speaking, an E. Burke Wilford design.

As the original caption makes clear, another engineer - one Elliot Doland Elliott Daland - was studying the placement of an 11.60 m diameter Wilford 'wing' on the 19-R airframe.

Last edited:
A late reply but that looks like a CW-19 with a rotor

Umm, yeah. As noted directly above, that was an Elliot Doland Elliott Daland concept incorporating E. Burke Wilford's rotor design onto the Curtiss-Wright 19-R airframe.

Last edited:
That would be Elliott Daland, who was a prominent engineer going way back with early rotary-wing firms such as: Kellett, Platt-LePage, and Piasecki Helicopter.

Well that certainly explains why I couldn't track down any further details about 'Elliot Doland' :D Cheers!

Also these patents.

Attachments

• US1957813-drawings-page-1.png
    US1957813-drawings-page-1.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 17
  • US1957813-drawings-page-2.png
    US1957813-drawings-page-2.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 17
  • US2068616-drawings-page-1.png
    US2068616-drawings-page-1.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 14
  • US2068616-drawings-page-2.png
    US2068616-drawings-page-2.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 16
  • US2068618-drawings-page-1.png
    US2068618-drawings-page-1.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 16
  • US2068618-drawings-page-2.png
    US2068618-drawings-page-2.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 17
  • US2106783-drawings-page-1.png
    US2106783-drawings-page-1.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 16
  • US2108839-drawings-page-1.png
    US2108839-drawings-page-1.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 20
I recently acquired a wonderful and unique wood model aircraft. I'm now trying to firmly identify it.

At first, I thought the model might be related to the development of de Havilland Cierva C.24 Autogiro. So I reached out to de Havilland, but could find no links. During my correspondence, and while conducting additional research, I stumbled upon this Secret Projects post. In particular, the photo of the wood "Gyroplane" model in a thread above really got my attention. As soon as discovered the "Gyroplane Model" image was from the E. Burke Wilford Aviation Collection (in the care of the West Chester University Special Collections library), pieces of the puzzle began to click into place. The model I purchased is nearly identical to the pictured Wilford "Gyroplane Model," the only discernable differences being the configuration of the main rotor tip-jets and the fact that my model is "finished" with a highly professional paint job.

The model I acquired is housed in a purpose-made box which secures the fuselage and removeable main rotor. The box is made of heavy corrugated cardboard, stained and painted. Elastic bands secure the fuselage and main rotor in place. Frankly, while the box is very cleverly made, the materials make it appear a bit "amateurish" when compared to the model. Nevertheless, the box is undeniably made for this model. The most noteworthy feature of the storage box is that the initials "W A C" are stenciled on the top. I feel fairly certain that "W A C" stands for Wilford Aircraft Corporation, the name of E. Burke Wilford's business venture during the 1950s. I've reached out to the Special Collections Library at West Chester University in the hope that they can find additional materials related to my model, helping me to confirm its origins.

My aircraft model has an 11.5 inch wingspan. The fuselage is 11 inches long and 5 inches tall. Some wire is used to strengthen landing gear, attach the main rotors, and act as tail bracing wires. The propeller is a lightweight metal as well. The rotor blades are wood and feature what appears to be sleekly-designed rotor tip-jets. Again, the paint quality is outstanding and just as professional as the build.

One particularly interesting (and puzzling) feature of the model is an inspection stamp on the bottom of the right wing. It is clearly dated 24 April 1953, but there is other data and information on the stamp that I have not yet been able to identify. Could it be a catalog stamp from the Wilford Aircraft Corporation model shop (if one truly did exist)? Did E. Burke Wilford make the model himself? What do the other numbers represent? Sadly, the stamp ink is smudged in a number of areas, so most of the legend information on the stamp is unreadable. The hand-written penned entries are also a bit difficult to completely understand. Here's my best interpretation:

Below the stamps "INSPECTED" title is the hand-written date "24 April 1953" in clear penmanship. It does appear that the inspector wrote the date in lighter letter ink, then changed to a heavier/darker ink and over-wrote the first entries. The second line is comprised of two pieces of data. There's no visible stamp legend, but the first entry seems to be "14,48" The second line entry looks like "1700" with either a small number "7" or possibly a "+" sign following. The stamp legend on this second line seems to have an "N" or possibly "/N" at the end of that second line of data. Unfortunately, the stamp legend describing the info the second line is smudged badly, so I'm not sure what the values represent. The final line of data on the stamp is likely "Inspected by 161," but the stamp legend is once again smudged. The word "by" in the stamp legend is pretty clear, though.

I've gone on too long... Here are some photos of the model and storage box. I welcome forum member's input as I continue to try and unravel this mystery.

Attachments

• (14).jpg
    (14).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • (13).jpg
    (13).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • (12).jpg
    (12).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • (11).jpg
    (11).jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 16
  • (10).jpg
    (10).jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 14
  • (9).jpg
    (9).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • (8).jpg
    (8).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 12
  • (7).jpg
    (7).jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
  • (6).jpg
    (6).jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 14
  • (5).jpg
    (5).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 15
  • (4).jpg
    (4).jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 15
  • (3).jpg
    (3).jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 13
  • (2).jpg
    (2).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • (1).jpg
    (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
And, here is a period model of the E Burke Wilford Pennsylvania XOZ-1 autogiro, circa 1931.

Attachments

• E Burke Wilford Pennsylvania XOZ-1 autogiro model - circa 1931.jpg
    E Burke Wilford Pennsylvania XOZ-1 autogiro model - circa 1931.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 21
I recently acquired a wonderful and unique wood model aircraft. I'm now trying to firmly identify it.
What a remarkable find! I'm definitely with you as far as the Wilford identification is concerned.
I do not know of any post-1950 designs by Wilford; I've checked all my files but they're all patents, projects and prototypes that are older than your model. I really hope you can eventually document that beauty!

EDIT: there is great commonality between your model and this wooden one found earlier in the thread (except for the tip-jets). So, definitely Wilford!

1714398992806.png

Last edited:
E. Burke Wilford was clearly still very active as an aeronautical engineer through the 1950s. He repeatedly appeared before the U.S. Government at various subcommittee meetings and other forums while advocating for the engineering concepts he pioneered. I am now trying to establish the years of operation for the "Wilford Aircraft Corporation."