Who can design a cockpit that is highly efficient for use in high-intensity air combat?

caid0ngming

For fairness and justice
Reaction score
The F-16 does a good job, but it's still not perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Things progress.
(Not sure if there is a proper English phrase for "progress progresses", or "development develops".

I think that now it pretty much boils down to having sensors and connections that give the platform as much data as possible, AND smart processing to give the pilot information that is needed, while holding back things that would be a distraction.

Idea I like came from the Macross Plus anime: the whole side and bottom of the cockpit is a display screen, Iron Vision style.

Then part of the display is an artificial horizon line.

This clip is a little short to really see, but it's what I could find:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtdQOEm2M5Q
True.

Then, too, this might all be in a helmet.

I would keep a stick and a few gauges--but everything thing else be in my helmet.

Theoretically the best cockpit is bare, and perhaps not even in the fighter itself--the cockpit a top radome.

A B-1R with loyal wingmen drivers in the back playing video games as the airframes they control out-turn the meat in the other guy's cockpit.

The real test of AI, when the AI, or whatever you call it, can be the back up system to allow the pilot to fly the aircraft where it needs to be and countermeasures is the job of the AI.

Rumor has it the latest versions of Merkava main battle tank have a similar sort of helmet-mounted artificial vision system. A system including a dozen (?) external-mounted cameras feed video images to the crew-commander’s helmet-mounted displays, allowing him/her to “see” through solid armor.
A similar system for drivers could eliminate most of the “blue on blue” casualties when tanks accidentally drive over accompanying infantry.

Rumor has it the latest versions of Merkava main battle tank have a similar sort of helmet-mounted artificial vision system. A system including a dozen (?) external-mounted cameras feed video images to the crew-commander’s helmet-mounted displays, allowing him/her to “see” through solid armor.
A similar system for drivers could eliminate most of the “blue on blue” casualties when tanks accidentally drive over accompanying infantry.
"Iron Vision" is the name of the system.