What new materials are there?

Why on earth, sorry I know but I could not resist, would anyone make roads on the moon? Let alone 'glass like' roads. Creating habitat sructures possibly but roads?

As I get older there’s a sadness that I won’t be around to witness what’s to come. With a maximum 35 years left I so want to see a man walk on Mars.

Not to be melancholy at the chances but to me it would be a sign that humanity will survive to live across the galaxy maybe the universe.

Why on earth, sorry I know but I could not resist, would anyone make roads on the moon? Let alone 'glass like' roads. Creating habitat sructures possibly but roads?
Dust. It's very fine and very abrasive. If it gets into mechanical parts it wears at them badly. Uneven ground also puts a strain on mechanical parts - gravity is low but mass and inertia and the stress caused by shaking remain the same.

It’d make great concrete down here though.

Hydrogen storage

Now this makes me wonder if you could get two go’s of combustion from one liquid:

Nitrogen news

Electron beam repair

For targeting?

Computers

Solar cells

Battery tech

Medical news

Maybe this time?

Last edited:
A permanent lunar colony is stupid, after living a year in lunar gravity the colonists would not be able to live on earth again. It would be a one-way trip.

Less wear on skeletons for retirees.
A one-g habitat to control robots via telepresence would be nice.

Delicious

Degassing

Odd

Med-watch

Radar

Last edited:

Last edited:
Materials

New Heat engine and more

Desalination find--on evaporation without heat

new compounds

Radio killed the nuclear star

Hall effect

steel

Battery news

New plastic

Ugh

New materials

Crystal trap

Liquid metals

Last edited:
Cooling glass

Glue and more

Plastics

Magnetic shielding

Neutron shield

3D

To Mars

CO2 and other green tech

Kondo effect and tech news

Cooling glass

Glue and more

Plastics

Magnetic shielding

Neutron shield

3D

To Mars

Optics

New tech

Hydraulic jumps

Quick release

The purple smoke of war

Last edited:
For aerospace

Fabric

Acoustics

Old law holds at quantum scale

Transparent electronic news

Magnetics

Catalyst

CO2 capture
https://www.ornl.gov/news/researchers-decode-aqueous-amino-acids-potential-direct-air-capture-co2

Accelerator

Lasers

Solar power

Sensor technologies

Electric street

Last edited:
This week, however, researchers report that with a new artificial intelligence (AI), they have predicted the ingredients and properties of another 2.2 million materials. In a companion study, a separate team has shown that such predicted materials can be made efficiently, again with the help of AI.

[...]

A different kind of AI might help synthesize more of GNoME’s predictions, another paper this week in Nature suggests. Researchers at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, led by materials scientist Gerbrand Ceder, recently built an AI-driven robotics lab to make predicted new materials. Now, he and his colleagues report that this setup quickly learned to refine recipes for synthesizing new compounds predicted by the Materials Project algorithm. In 17 days, the robots successfully synthesized 41 materials out of 58 they attempted.

Materials mapping

Gold

Fantastic Voyage

Small propellers

Bubble, bubble

Flow turbulence

Rusted down to monopoles?

Rainbows

Inducing magnetism

Optical storage

Zap that food

Examination of surfaces

New 2D materials and more

Concrete

Recycling and CO2 news

Energy news

Protecting the Grid

Sensor tech

Wastewater reclaimed

Last edited:
Tough substance

Rubber

Welding metal foam

New fibers

Materials research

Transparent magnetic material

tiny shells

New polymer film

Cardboard foam

New roof tile

LOVAMAP

Sharkskin

New antenna

New blue light research

On jet fuel and energy news

Explosives

Particle accelerator check

The star search

Allready some years old and it might be a bit boring compared to spectacular futuristic materials, but nevertheless these here could be extremly helpfull for any engineer:

I'm not sure, but I suspect the nonwoven carrier material could be an aerogel. The carrier material can be compressed to less than one µ, so it has to be something like that.

This week in tech

Not so ugly sweaters

Watch that cork

Water dragon

Last edited:

That’s a good one for cryogenics storage. Maybe a dedicated depot that never returns from LEO.

Stretchy stuff

“Active matter”

For electronics

New foam

Last edited:
Molybdenene is the first metallic 2D material.
Like graphene, it's one atom thick and has exceptional properties and could serve as a novel catalyst.
And, it can be made in a microwave

source: X