What museum display would you like to see?

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Moderators please merge this new thread with the thread that I posted last week about a parachute display at Rockcliffe.

What new and exciting display would you like to see at a museum?
I already suggested displaying parachutes along the south wall of the museum in Rockcliffe.

To keep your pipe-dreams* within the kinds of reality, you also need to propose a source of funding (Molson Foundation, “World of Tanks” video-game or perhaps the gambling revenues that sponsored the air race museum in Reno).

Perhaps children firing flint-lock muskets ….

Flight simulators based upon real cockpits ….

* Pipe-dreams as in “what were you smoking when you suggested that?”
Hah!
Hah!

Moderators please merge this new thread with the thread that I posted last week about a parachute display at Rockcliffe.

What new and exciting display would you like to see at a museum?
I already suggested displaying parachutes along the south wall of the museum in Rockcliffe.

To keep your pipe-dreams* within the kinds of reality, you also need to propose a source of funding (Molson Foundation, “World of Tanks” video-game or perhaps the gambling revenues that sponsored the air race museum in Reno).

Perhaps children firing flint-lock muskets ….

Flight simulators based upon real cockpits ….

* Pipe-dreams as in “what were you smoking when you suggested that?”
Hah!
Hah!
Tangmere museum in the south of England has / had a lighting cockpit flight sim that you sit in / fly,

That was a few years ago, but was great, that sort of thing would be fab. imagine climbing in a vulcan cockpit!

Flight simulators based upon real cockpits
The Spitfire and Hurricane Memorial museum in Ramsgate has a Spitfire cockpit wired to a flight simulator.

In the Netherlands, there's the Museum for flight simulation and Prosim4u, both of which have several professional flight simulators up to several full airliner cockpits.

Perhaps you reward the highest-scoring simulator pilot with a 3D printed model of the airplane. Make the little @&$! “Work” for his prize. 3D print the winner’s name on the underside of the model along with the date and his/her score.

The Maidenhead museum celebrated the ATA with the "Granny flew a Spitfire" tag line, and I enjoyed their flight simulator hooked up to some real Spitfire hardware.

I've been wondering about about 'gamifying' WW2 era navigation (e.g. Oboe, H2S) to make a more interesting display than a lot of the static stuff.

Visitors could challenge each other. One person would 'place' the aircraft on the setting board, from which some electronics would synthesise the navigation beam signals. The other visitor could then try using the navigation equipment to establish their aircraft position. The game could run at beginner level with a static position or intermediate with aircraft motion added. For advanced levels throw in some static and vibration.

I thought the DeHavilland museum might be interested because of the use of the Mosquito as a pathfinder.

The Maidenhead museum celebrated the ATA with the "Granny flew a Spitfire" tag line, and I enjoyed their flight simulator hooked up to some real Spitfire hardware.

I've been wondering about about 'gamifying' WW2 era navigation (e.g. Oboe, H2S) to make a more interesting display than a lot of the static stuff.

Visitors could challenge each other. One person would 'place' the aircraft on the setting board, from which some electronics would synthesise the navigation beam signals. The other visitor could then try using the navigation equipment to establish their aircraft position. The game could run at beginner level with a static position or intermediate with aircraft motion added. For advanced levels throw in some static and vibration.

I thought the DeHavilland museum might be interested because of the use of the Mosquito as a pathfinder.
There's a few places that sort of do this, not museums but Flight sim centres:

This one has a 737 cockpit, F18, Concorde and a Lancaster coming soon. They also have a Spitfire & Me 109 thats linked.

or https://www.sim2do.com/

Which has a F35, 737, spitfire and a real Lynx converted.

Plus it's close to RAF Mildenhall and Lakenheath so you can do some spotting as well!

Keeping it more on the original topic:

I've been really lucky to get a look around IMW Duxford "behind the rope" and clamber in and around a number of their aircraft, which gives you a very different experience.

i really think that doing cutaways and just the cockpit sections would make things interesting, seeing the outside is great but being able to see into the cockpits of Vulcans or B52's would give a very different viewpoint, see where the crews work etc.

Of course with the improvements in VR this is digitally possible without chopping up historic aircraft!!

Keeping it more on the original topic:

I've been really lucky to get a look around IMW Duxford "behind the rope" and clamber in and around a number of their aircraft, which gives you a very different experience.

i really think that doing cutaways and just the cockpit sections would make things interesting, seeing the outside is great but being able to see into the cockpits of Vulcans or B52's would give a very different viewpoint, see where the crews work etc.

Of course with the improvements in VR this is digitally possible without chopping up historic aircraft!!
There are several museums in the UK that have aircraft set up for access to the cockpit. I've been in a Harrier, two Vulcans, a Canberra, a Lancaster replica, and more. It's mostly the smaller museums that do this on a regular basis, others have occasional 'open cockpit' days.

There are several museums in the UK that have aircraft set up for access to the cockpit. I've been in a Harrier, two Vulcans, a Canberra, a Lancaster replica, and more. It's mostly the smaller museums that do this on a regular basis, others have occasional 'open cockpit' days.
I'm sure there used to be a local museum that appeared to be in the back garden of a pub in Suffolk UK that had cockpits like that that were privately owned and opened some days....

A return to the Aerospace Museum at RAF. Cosford during its hayday in the early 80's :)

You can tell I'm not a fan of RAFM. Midlands or whatever they are calling it this month :(

Yeah apparently people were confusing Cosford for London or something.... so the excuse goes.

A museum that is dedicated to and preserving military mock-ups would be fascinating IMO.

Imagine being able to see and compare competitive designs next to one another.

Regards
Pioneer