Westland WG.12

JFC Fuller

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi,

WG.12 was an SA.340 Gazelle equivalent, it would have been a four seater with an AUW of 2,600lbs and would have been powered a Turbomeca Oredon turboshaft (which was also considered for the Gazelle at one point) and it would have used the scout rotor system. This letter to helicopter life from Prof Reg Austin gives a very brief overview of the story: http://www.helicopterlife.com/200703/letters.html

It does seem that for some time after the mass merger of Westland, Fairey, Bristol and SARO there were relatively separate design teams still pursuing their original companies proposals. I have still yet to find a picture of the WG.12 or the WG.7 (SA.330 equivalent) that I suspect may have been very similar to the earlier Bristol Type 214 design.

I have somewhere a chart from a magazine ( I think it was Air Pictorial) showing all the Westland helicopters as small silhouettes including the elusive versions that were not built like the WG 12 and the WG 7. However, I have mislaid it at the moment. I will try and see if anyone has posted it on the Net.